• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What lock? Davis Colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniata

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm picking up 3 barrels at the Carlisle show in a couple of weeks.
The one barrel I ordered is a 37" Edward Marshall profile barrel in 58.
I plan to build a gun to sell, with large features, a wide butt, and guard.
The lock has me held up.
I will not use L&R, there's nothing there that catches my eye plus I just don't care for them.
Chambers makes the Early Germanic but they just don't have the profile I care for, I could alter it but I'd rather not.
I have considered the Siler gun builders lock with the big square plate you can cut out and shape yourself, but I feel the other components are too small. Plus I don't like how narrow the bolster is, it doesn't kick the lock far enough away from the barrel to give it a nice robust lock molding on the side of the gun.
On my personal hunting gun I used a Davis Colonial and I absolutely love it, the profile, the function, it's great. It has a very wide bolster allowing nice form and mould around the panels of the gun.
Here is the problem, while Track sells them for $225, they aren't ready to go. At least mine wasn't.
With mine the cock screw threads didn't align with the tapped threads on the flintcock. Almost like trying to use metric to standard, it would bind on the threads rather than clamp a flint. I call Larry Zornes and sent it back to Mould & Gun Shop and they fixed it. Shipping was about $20 but they replaced the screw and the upper flint jaw no charge.
Next issue, the tumbler notch for full cock was fairly deep requiring a heavy pull, I took it to Allen Martin and he used his jewelers files or stones I forget what he called em, to make the full cock notch less drastic. (I don't have jewelers files for hardened steel) so I pitched him $40 for the help.
Once the gun was built I shot it, oh maybe 50 times and it quit sparking. Like done, nothing. New flint, knapped flint, it was very unreliable.
I ended up taking it down to Brad Emig. He didn't have much care for the locks, so he said.
He did work it over, by messing with hardness of frizzen spring, and some other things I can't remember what all, I'd have to look at the bill, but it was $120 plus the drive 1¼ drive down and back twice.
So that darn lock cost me $225+$20+$40+$120=$405 and the running around.
Call me crazy but at least I know what I'm up against if I buy another.
I keep looking at all these options in locks and I just don't see anything that suit me but everytime I look at the Davis Colonial, I really think, that's the one! I am tempted to buy another one, maybe it'll be better than the first, one can hope.
Maybe it'll just be the cost of having what I want on this gun.
What has your experiences been with RE Davis locks? I've read a # of Forums on them. They seem hit or miss.

Now before I end this long winded post, another lock I like similar in look is the A. TVLLE lock that track sells, however they had some changed made in the internal parts which I've been told by several people they aren't what the older ones were.

I'll upload a post of my lock on my 58 and locks on original guns that I like for an early gun maybe what you'd call transitional piece.
Germanic, with large features, yet shaped beautifully in all the right places.

Sorry I feel like at times on these topics I'm a little all over the board with my thoughts but you get the jist.
I guess I am asking opinions and options.
Thanks

Last edited:
PXL_20240119_192154991.jpg

This is a collage I put together from pics of locks I like in the Shumway book
GridArt_20240119_143131464.jpg

I have a Davis Early Germanic lock on a gun I built about 35 years ago . It’s certainly not got a bolster as thick as the one you pictured but it’s a hefty lock that sparks wonderfully. It had a nice shape to it but not sure if you could alter it, not even sure if they are available any more. But you'll find something… happy hunting 🙂

Attachments

• Pre-Rev 7.jpg
    Pre-Rev 7.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi Brian,
If I was making your project I would use Chris Laubach's Germanic lock. You would not need to do anything to it at all. Next on my list if I understand your objectives would be M&Gs's Albrecht lock. I used that lock to recreate the Edward Marshall rifle.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/building-an-edward-marshall-rifle.128586/
I had to modify it a lot for the gun but it is appropriate as is for an early long rifle. It certainly does not need any more working over than the Davis locks.

dave

I have a Davis Early Germanic lock on a gun I built about 35 years ago . It’s certainly not got a bolster as thick as the one you pictured but it’s a hefty lock that sparks wonderfully. It had a nice shape to it but not sure if you could alter it, not even sure if they are available any more. But you'll find something… happy hunting 🙂
That is an awesome looking lock, I've looked at them in my searches noticed you can't find them now, and Davis website says not available due to supply issues.
That's muzzleloader building for you isn't it!?!
That's why Jim Kibler is smart to make everything himself and not outsource a thing. If he doesn't have locks it's his own dumb fault 🙂

Hi Brian,
If I was making your project I would use Chris Laubach's Germanic lock. You would not need to do anything to it at all. Next on my list if I understand your objectives would be M&Gs's Albrecht lock. I used that lock to recreate the Edward Marshall rifle.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/building-an-edward-marshall-rifle.128586/
I had to modify it a lot for the gun but it is appropriate as is for an early long rifle. It certainly does not need any more working over than the Davis locks.

dave
Read your thread on that gun a couple times! I was hoping you'd chime in on this, that was quick. Thanks Dave
I could look at Chris's Germanic lock at the show maybe if he has one with.

That is an awesome looking lock, I've looked at them in my searches noticed you can't find them now, and Davis website says not available due to supply issues.
That's muzzleloader building for you isn't it!?!
That's why Jim Kibler is smart to make everything himself and not outsource a thing. If he doesn't have locks it's his own dumb fault 🙂
Yeah. I should have bought two of them!
The Chris Laubach lock Dave noted looks great. I couldn’t find the website for them though!

Yeah. I should have bought two of them!
The Chris Laubach lock Dave noted looks great. I couldn’t find the website for them though!
Come to think of it Allen had one in his lock drawer at his work bench, for his son's upcoming jeager build.
Nice locks. I don't know what they cost but I'll bet they're $450 or more. CNC machines don't pay for themselves making locks at $250

Come to think of it Allen had one in his lock drawer at his work bench, for his son's upcoming jeager build.
Nice locks. I don't know what they cost but I'll bet they're $450 or more. CNC machines don't pay for themselves making locks at $250
You are right, but if it’s gonna be on your forever gun it would be a good investment. For one that’s gonna hit the market it might be more feasible to go with a good but not as good a lock.

What about this lock?
I am surprised to find it so close in shape, and design more so than anything else I've found.

Edward Marshall's Rifle
No. 41 in the Shumway Book

Attachments

• GridArt_20240120_072502788.jpg
    GridArt_20240120_072502788.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
I'm picking up 3 barrels at the Carlisle show in a couple of weeks.
The one barrel I ordered is a 37" Edward Marshall profile barrel in 58.
I plan to build a gun to sell, with large features, a wide butt, and guard.
The lock has me held up.
I will not use L&R, there's nothing there that catches my eye plus I just don't care for them.
Chambers makes the Early Germanic but they just don't have the profile I care for, I could alter it but I'd rather not.
I have considered the Siler gun builders lock with the big square plate you can cut out and shape yourself, but I feel the other components are too small. Plus I don't like how narrow the bolster is, it doesn't kick the lock far enough away from the barrel to give it a nice robust lock molding on the side of the gun.
On my personal hunting gun I used a Davis Colonial and I absolutely love it, the profile, the function, it's great. It has a very wide bolster allowing nice form and mould around the panels of the gun.
Here is the problem, while Track sells them for $225, they aren't ready to go. At least mine wasn't.
With mine the cock screw threads didn't align with the tapped threads on the flintcock. Almost like trying to use metric to standard, it would bind on the threads rather than clamp a flint. I call Larry Zornes and sent it back to Mould & Gun Shop and they fixed it. Shipping was about $20 but they replaced the screw and the upper flint jaw no charge.
Next issue, the tumbler notch for full cock was fairly deep requiring a heavy pull, I took it to Allen Martin and he used his jewelers files or stones I forget what he called em, to make the full cock notch less drastic. (I don't have jewelers files for hardened steel) so I pitched him $40 for the help.
Once the gun was built I shot it, oh maybe 50 times and it quit sparking. Like done, nothing. New flint, knapped flint, it was very unreliable.
I ended up taking it down to Brad Emig. He didn't have much care for the locks, so he said.
He did work it over, by messing with hardness of frizzen spring, and some other things I can't remember what all, I'd have to look at the bill, but it was $120 plus the drive 1¼ drive down and back twice.
So that darn lock cost me $225+$20+$40+$120=$405 and the running around.
Call me crazy but at least I know what I'm up against if I buy another.
I keep looking at all these options in locks and I just don't see anything that suit me but everytime I look at the Davis Colonial, I really think, that's the one! I am tempted to buy another one, maybe it'll be better than the first, one can hope.
Maybe it'll just be the cost of having what I want on this gun.
What has your experiences been with RE Davis locks? I've read a # of Forums on them. They seem hit or miss.

Now before I end this long winded post, another lock I like similar in look is the A. TVLLE lock that track sells, however they had some changed made in the internal parts which I've been told by several people they aren't what the older ones were.

I'll upload a post of my lock on my 58 and locks on original guns that I like for an early gun maybe what you'd call transitional piece.
Germanic, with large features, yet shaped beautifully in all the right places.

Sorry I feel like at times on these topics I'm a little all over the board with my thoughts but you get the jist.
I guess I am asking opinions and options.
Thanks
Hi, could you tell me more about the Carlisle event that you mentioned?

Back