• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel hunting, trying to piece it all together..............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, this is somewhat of an addendum to my other thread on here "Finished my early squirrel season with a very unique hunt".

I wanted to share this with you all in case you ever experiencing such very unique situation while out squirrel hunting. As with the situation in my first thread, if you all ever notice this rare situation, you will know that it is definitely different. No, I cannot tell you what it means, but I can promise you that it is short lived and very intense. The two situations are similar in some ways but different in some aspects. They also happened at different times of the year with the first one being my May. In all my years I have never seen either one of those happen. Both were accidently discovered.

Oaky, here we go. A little long but worth the read for any hard core squirrel hunter.

Two days ago I went down to my stand site at **0523 AM** Eastern time to check my trail cam. Even though it was full moon, the moon had went down for the most part. So here in the KY mountains it was darker than a stack of black cats. As I slowly approached the site, complete with a headlight LED on my head, I heard the very distinct sound of a squirrel whining/crying. The type of sound they make when in dispute of territory or fighting. I said to myself "no way in hell". I know I had a rough night by but dang, thinking I was hearing something that wasn't really there, I froze on the spot and turned off my headlight. Then sure enough, it happened again. Right above my head in a tall hickory. There was no doubt about it, it was a squirrel letting out that fighting/disputing sound. Thinking this couldn't be happening, I looked at my watch to note the time. My first thought was, it must be one of those crazy flying squirrels because in all my studies on squirrels, very little substantiates gray squirrels come out at night. Either way, this ole boy knew that it was some sort of squirrel. But while it was darker than dark before daylight? As I stood there in place, that whining/crying sound continued. There was no doubt what it was. Well, I checked my trail cam and walked back up the steep hillside to the house. I got some breakfast and went back down there for opening of bow season morning despite the fact that there was no evidence of any deer coming through. Got up in my ladder stand before daylight and once again, that whining/crying sound of squirrels. This time there was more than just the one above me.

So as is sat there watching the sun rise and woods come alive, birds chirping, there was more than the usual squirrels jumping here and there. Now mind you this was down the hill from my house. I know about how much squirrel activity is the norm down there. And what I was seeing and hearing was way out of the normal. There were many squirrels everywhere. Most appeared to be smaller, younger squirrels.

In my other thread I described hearing a distinct "Toook, toock" sound. This time there was none of that whatsoever. It was simply that whining/crying sound from all over the trees on the hillside. Squirrels jumping from tree to tree, running and chasing each other all over the place, but mostly up in the tree tops. It was crazy. As they ran all over, up and down, hickory nuts was falling big time. I sat there in my stand for several hours thinking, "man, there's a lot of hungry squirrels this year down here". I've never seen so many squirrels down there before.

So at 10;00 and with no deer in sight I climbed down and went back to the house. As I sat there telling my wife about it, we looked out the windows and still, there was squirrels jumping all over the place, tree to tree. And it was after 12:00 noon. With no sign of deer I told my wife that I will be down there in the morning with my Crockett squirrel rifle and that I was going to clean up on squirrels.

So, true to my words I was down there before daylight yesterday morning. Daylight came with some squirrel activity but nothing like the day before. I managed to finally get a grand total of one squirrel. I was perplexed by this. That somewhat solidified my thinking. Yesterday was some sort of special day for squirrels but I was still not satisfied. My thinking was, after they were out all day long going crazy that they must have just eaten enough hickory nuts to satisfy them for a couple of days. Surely the next morning they would be out in force once again and I would be back down there waiting for them.

This morning I was down there again before daylight waiting. But it was a normal morning in squirrel world. A few here and there, but no whining/crying. No chasing each other all over the dang woods. Just a few squirrels up in the the tops of the very tall hickories cutting on hickory nuts. That made it clear, what I experienced a couple day prior was anything but normal.

I was down there for two hours before I finally got a shot at one, and I missed. Racking franken, blanking de blank. Took two more shots before I finally got one. Then I got two more. But boy howdy, let me tell you that this time of year when the squirrels are way up in the the tops of those leafed out hickories, its a game of patience. Mind you that in terms of patience, I could never make a pimple on Jobs behind, and this morning was one of those times. Goodness, I was down there over 4 hours and only got 3 squirrels. Due to the thick canopy there was no other choice but to get to a tree that was close to whichever tree the squirrels was up in the tops of. Looking almost straight up, I became very dizzy a few times. I reckon it was due to the blood flow to my head being restricted. And let me tell ya, for all that have never tried to shoot a squirrel that's darn near straight up in a tall tree with anything other than a scatter gun, it is no easy task. Even with a rest off of another tree, it is as tough of shooting I have ever done in my life. A .32 caliber squirrel rifle puts new meaning to the term "aim small, miss small". And for such a small target so far up in the tree tops, it has to be right on the money or its a miss.

Let it be known that I have never claimed to be the best shot in the world, but when I say this is tough, I mean exactly that. I was at a whole whopping 50% hit rate this morning due to the situation.

My last shot of the morning I was standing next to a very tall chestnut oak where I had been observing a couple of squirrels for well over an hour. But they were just too far up and and what few times I did get a good look at them, they didn't remain there for more than a few seconds before moving again. Finally, after looking around down and around at other trees, and waiting for a better shot, I looked back up and noticed a dark spot up in the leaves right at the top of that dang tall hickory. It wasn't moving and I wasn't 100% sure it was a squirrel, but it had to have been one. I took a good aim almost straight up again and where I had a good rest off of that ole chestnut oak. After a few seconds of studying this scenario I said to myself "I can make this one happen, whatever it is up there". Squeezed the trigger and down came a squirrel. Boys, if that one wasn't every bit of 30 + yards then I'm not setting here. It was dang near vertical and to make the shot I had one leg somewhat wrapped around the tree about 3 feet in front of the other one. Didn't even realize that until after the shot.

I slowly and quietly reloaded and waited for a while but no more squirrels to be seen or heard. There was more up there but I had enough for one morning. So I slowly walked over and picked up that last squirrel. Out of shear luck I got him in the upper neck but there was no exit hole. It was only two out of 42 squirrels with the Crockett squirrel rifle that the ball did not exit. Thinking for sure that the ball was in the skull and after searching for it later on while cleaning my mess of squirrels, the ball was never recovered. I am now pretty sure it was in the neck but I had already discarded it.

Now then, with all the above stated, the questions remains. Still trying to put all of this together.

What was going on with the squirrels that first morning that they were out at 0523 AM?

What were they doing chasing each other so aggressively and why was there so many out down there that morning to never return?

Best I could tell, they were pretty much smaller squirrels but after today, I'm not so sure. Considering they all were so far up in the tops of those tall hickory trees, they most likely just appeared to be young squirrels.

Where did they come from and where were did they go the following two days?

Conventional wisdom tells me that it was another mating time. But the last time on the last day of spring squirrel season where they were going crazy like that they were making a "Took, took" sound. This time there was not the first one during the several hours I sat and observed them that made such sound. This time it was definitely one of their whining/crying, ticked off, territory, fighting sound.

Whatever it was that made the squirrels go bat chit crazy that day, it has not been repeated in the following two days. And just as I have stated in my previous thread "Finished my early squirrels season with a unique hunt", this appears to be a one day deal where if any of you every experience or hear such, its game on fellas. So just a heads up.

One other thing I have learned during my time with my Crockett squirrel rifle chasing squirrels so far this year. That would be that whenever they are way up in the tops of the trees cutting on whatever, its almost best to just wait for a while until they are about done eating. Then they often will descend the tree or just jump to other trees where better shots are presented. With scatter guns that is not the case. Its much easier to blast them out of the tops of the trees while they are moving around.

Indeed. When squirrel hunting with a solid projectile rifle it is a game of patients and marksmanship.

And of course, the search goes on in trying to put all of this together.View attachment 250480View attachment 250480View attachment 250482View attachment 250482
IMG_1474.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpeg
    IMG_1475.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You caught a migration of young squirrels re-locating, also they will work all night on a full moon. Once the moon set the sounds you heard were locating calls to know where the other squirrels were until daylight.
Well, that's a possibility, in terms of young squirrels relocating. One thing is for sure, they are gone now. I had been down there the day before and didn't notice them so it was a one day deal whatever their reason was.

Their whining/fighting sound continued up until I left out at 10:00 AM. So I know for a fact they were doing that from 05:23 until 10:00 at a minimum.

Full moon was my first thoughts. However, there actions went against everything I have been able to pull up during research. All sources I have found state they are not nocturnal. I did find perhaps one reference which states they will come out at night on rare occasions but to tend to their young. The article did not elaborate any further.

With that said, I know of at least one ole timer (dead now) that stated squirrels do sometimes come out at night. To that end I will contend that this ole boy has been out in the hardwoods many, many, times during the night, sometimes late night but mostly early A.M., and I do not recall hearing squirrels whining/fighting sounds. Thus my initial thoughts of flying squirrels, which are nocturnal. Flying squirrels are a big problem around here for the phone company. They get into the black boxes on phone lines where there is a splice and eat up the wires. They nest in those boxes, so says the phone repairmen.

This is interesting stuff for this ole boy. Really like to know what animals do and why. One would think there would be some sort of official site that would reflect on this.

Don't rightly know what they were doing but that was a good read. Thanks. BTW, getting cooler down here. Can't wait to get out there myself.
I hope you do well, Tim. It has been pathetically hot here lately. Even in the darker woods it was getting hot by 11:00 A.M.

Don't know what whining sound you heard, but two weeks ago I was following my basset around gardens when he stuck his head into some weeds where the whining sound was coming from. It was a baby gray squirrel too young to have it's eyes open. Actually about as loud as a baby rabbit's squall.

We'd had quite a windy storm earlier in the morning, must've fallen out of the nest. Tried to nurse it with special formula, tiny bottle, etc. It died.

Don't know what whining sound you heard, but two weeks ago I was following my basset around gardens when he stuck his head into some weeds where the whining sound was coming from. It was a baby gray squirrel too young to have it's eyes open. Actually about as loud as a baby rabbit's squall.

We'd had quite a windy storm earlier in the morning, must've fallen out of the nest. Tried to nurse it with special formula, tiny bottle, etc. It died.
John, that whining sound I'm trying to describe is the same sound gray squirrels make when they are about to fight. Its often heard while they are chasing each other up and down, around and around a tree.

Migration for sure. During that time the mass of squirrels we see one day will be gone the next. You ever see an inordinate number of dead squirrels on a highway? Migration.
Could be, IDK. All I know for sure is it is short lived and wide open, all day long. And the next day most of them are gone.

And yes, despite what the "experts claim" squirrels do in fact, come out in the dark. I doubt it happens often, but it does happen.

Often times we see a lot of dead squirrels on the roads due to them picking up berries, nuts, mash, etc off of the road that has fallen out of trees. It happens a lot earlier in the year just as the trees are getting their crops.

With that said, at 0900 hrs I was out back and I noticed about 4 squirrels off to the left of my patch of woods. They appeared to be younger and they were chasing each other around a fair amount. I know where they came from so we shall see the next time I go out back to hunt. Definitely nothing compared to what it was Saturday morning but it is somewhat of an uptick in numbers.

Last edited:
History records massive squirrel migrations in the 1800's. I read one account of the squirrels swimming across the Mississippi in such numbers that the water appeared to be boiling. I have never witnessed a squirrel migration in my area.

As for the whining/crying sound you heard at night. I have often heard this noise when I arrive to my deer stand before morning light, especially if the moon is bright. I noticed that the sound increased and came from many trees right after a owl was heard hooting in the area. Could be a connection.

John, that whining sound I'm trying to describe is the same sound gray squirrels make when they are about to fight. Its often heard while they are chasing each other up and down, around and around a tree.
A critical mistake to consider in nursing baby creatures is to make sure no air is getting into it from the bottle. That will them pneumonia almost certainly.

History records massive squirrel migrations in the 1800's. I read one account of the squirrels swimming across the Mississippi in such numbers that the water appeared to be boiling. I have never witnessed a squirrel migration in my area.

As for the whining/crying sound you heard at night. I have often heard this noise when I arrive to my deer stand before morning light, especially if the moon is bright. I noticed that the sound increased and came from many trees right after an owl was heard hooting in the area. Could be a connection.
I know of the sound you’re referring to. It is a different sound than what I’m trying to describe. If I’m thinking correctly, the sound you state is an alert or warning type sound.

And I suppose it was a migrating thing that was going on because they have not been back in those numbers.

Last edited:
I know of the sound you’re referring to. It is a different sound than what I’m trying to describe. If I’m thinking correctly, the sound you state is an alert or warning type sound.
ETipp: I know exactly what was making that whining, crying sound. In the woods behind our house in Georgetown, Texas, we get that noise all the time...and those folks not familiar may not know....look it up on Google....those critters are called RINGTAIL CATS ! Squirrels do not like them and tend to get very nervous scurrying around crazy like!

ETipp: I know exactly what was making that whining, crying sound. In the woods behind our house in Georgetown, Texas, we get that noise all the time...and those folks not familiar may not know....look it up on Google....those critters are called RINGTAIL CATS ! Squirrels do not like them and tend to get very nervous scurrying around crazy like!
Tex, not disputing that one bit. I can understand those cats making them nervous. From my research, it is said that bobcats are one of a squirrels main enemies.

Squirrels have a few predators that makes them let out warning sounds for sure. There is two different types of whining I am trying to describe. One is a warning and the other is a fighting/territorial sound. The third one is a warning sound whenever they see a hawk but its different yet. And the other warning sound is when they see a human. Its more of a long, slow whistle like whine.

Okay guys, I just went back and looked at my calendar. I made an error in my OP on this. The last time the somewhat similar situation occurred was in June. It was not in May. The moon phase was close to a new moon.

This time it was darn near full moon.

So no connection between the two there, in terms of moon phase.

Hoping to go down in the woods this morning and try my luck.

Guys, this is somewhat of an addendum to my other thread on here "Finished my early squirrel season with a very unique hunt".

I wanted to share this with you all in case you ever experiencing such very unique situation while out squirrel hunting. As with the situation in my first thread, if you all ever notice this rare situation, you will know that it is definitely different. No, I cannot tell you what it means, but I can promise you that it is short lived and very intense. The two situations are similar in some ways but different in some aspects. They also happened at different times of the year with the first one being my May. In all my years I have never seen either one of those happen. Both were accidently discovered.

Oaky, here we go. A little long but worth the read for any hard core squirrel hunter.

Two days ago I went down to my stand site at **0523 AM** Eastern time to check my trail cam. Even though it was full moon, the moon had went down for the most part. So here in the KY mountains it was darker than a stack of black cats. As I slowly approached the site, complete with a headlight LED on my head, I heard the very distinct sound of a squirrel whining/crying. The type of sound they make when in dispute of territory or fighting. I said to myself "no way in hell". I know I had a rough night by but dang, thinking I was hearing something that wasn't really there, I froze on the spot and turned off my headlight. Then sure enough, it happened again. Right above my head in a tall hickory. There was no doubt about it, it was a squirrel letting out that fighting/disputing sound. Thinking this couldn't be happening, I looked at my watch to note the time. My first thought was, it must be one of those crazy flying squirrels because in all my studies on squirrels, very little substantiates gray squirrels come out at night. Either way, this ole boy knew that it was some sort of squirrel. But while it was darker than dark before daylight? As I stood there in place, that whining/crying sound continued. There was no doubt what it was. Well, I checked my trail cam and walked back up the steep hillside to the house. I got some breakfast and went back down there for opening of bow season morning despite the fact that there was no evidence of any deer coming through. Got up in my ladder stand before daylight and once again, that whining/crying sound of squirrels. This time there was more than just the one above me.

So as is sat there watching the sun rise and woods come alive, birds chirping, there was more than the usual squirrels jumping here and there. Now mind you this was down the hill from my house. I know about how much squirrel activity is the norm down there. And what I was seeing and hearing was way out of the normal. There were many squirrels everywhere. Most appeared to be smaller, younger squirrels.

In my other thread I described hearing a distinct "Toook, toock" sound. This time there was none of that whatsoever. It was simply that whining/crying sound from all over the trees on the hillside. Squirrels jumping from tree to tree, running and chasing each other all over the place, but mostly up in the tree tops. It was crazy. As they ran all over, up and down, hickory nuts was falling big time. I sat there in my stand for several hours thinking, "man, there's a lot of hungry squirrels this year down here". I've never seen so many squirrels down there before.

So at 10;00 and with no deer in sight I climbed down and went back to the house. As I sat there telling my wife about it, we looked out the windows and still, there was squirrels jumping all over the place, tree to tree. And it was after 12:00 noon. With no sign of deer I told my wife that I will be down there in the morning with my Crockett squirrel rifle and that I was going to clean up on squirrels.

So, true to my words I was down there before daylight yesterday morning. Daylight came with some squirrel activity but nothing like the day before. I managed to finally get a grand total of one squirrel. I was perplexed by this. That somewhat solidified my thinking. Yesterday was some sort of special day for squirrels but I was still not satisfied. My thinking was, after they were out all day long going crazy that they must have just eaten enough hickory nuts to satisfy them for a couple of days. Surely the next morning they would be out in force once again and I would be back down there waiting for them.

This morning I was down there again before daylight waiting. But it was a normal morning in squirrel world. A few here and there, but no whining/crying. No chasing each other all over the dang woods. Just a few squirrels up in the the tops of the very tall hickories cutting on hickory nuts. That made it clear, what I experienced a couple day prior was anything but normal.

I was down there for two hours before I finally got a shot at one, and I missed. Racking franken, blanking de blank. Took two more shots before I finally got one. Then I got two more. But boy howdy, let me tell you that this time of year when the squirrels are way up in the the tops of those leafed out hickories, its a game of patience. Mind you that in terms of patience, I could never make a pimple on Jobs behind, and this morning was one of those times. Goodness, I was down there over 4 hours and only got 3 squirrels. Due to the thick canopy there was no other choice but to get to a tree that was close to whichever tree the squirrels was up in the tops of. Looking almost straight up, I became very dizzy a few times. I reckon it was due to the blood flow to my head being restricted. And let me tell ya, for all that have never tried to shoot a squirrel that's darn near straight up in a tall tree with anything other than a scatter gun, it is no easy task. Even with a rest off of another tree, it is as tough of shooting I have ever done in my life. A .32 caliber squirrel rifle puts new meaning to the term "aim small, miss small". And for such a small target so far up in the tree tops, it has to be right on the money or its a miss.

Let it be known that I have never claimed to be the best shot in the world, but when I say this is tough, I mean exactly that. I was at a whole whopping 50% hit rate this morning due to the situation.

My last shot of the morning I was standing next to a very tall chestnut oak where I had been observing a couple of squirrels for well over an hour. But they were just too far up and and what few times I did get a good look at them, they didn't remain there for more than a few seconds before moving again. Finally, after looking around down and around at other trees, and waiting for a better shot, I looked back up and noticed a dark spot up in the leaves right at the top of that dang tall hickory. It wasn't moving and I wasn't 100% sure it was a squirrel, but it had to have been one. I took a good aim almost straight up again and where I had a good rest off of that ole chestnut oak. After a few seconds of studying this scenario I said to myself "I can make this one happen, whatever it is up there". Squeezed the trigger and down came a squirrel. Boys, if that one wasn't every bit of 30 + yards then I'm not setting here. It was dang near vertical and to make the shot I had one leg somewhat wrapped around the tree about 3 feet in front of the other one. Didn't even realize that until after the shot.

I slowly and quietly reloaded and waited for a while but no more squirrels to be seen or heard. There was more up there but I had enough for one morning. So I slowly walked over and picked up that last squirrel. Out of shear luck I got him in the upper neck but there was no exit hole. It was only two out of 42 squirrels with the Crockett squirrel rifle that the ball did not exit. Thinking for sure that the ball was in the skull and after searching for it later on while cleaning my mess of squirrels, the ball was never recovered. I am now pretty sure it was in the neck but I had already discarded it.

Now then, with all the above stated, the questions remains. Still trying to put all of this together.

What was going on with the squirrels that first morning that they were out at 0523 AM?

What were they doing chasing each other so aggressively and why was there so many out down there that morning to never return?

Best I could tell, they were pretty much smaller squirrels but after today, I'm not so sure. Considering they all were so far up in the tops of those tall hickory trees, they most likely just appeared to be young squirrels.

Where did they come from and where were did they go the following two days?

Conventional wisdom tells me that it was another mating time. But the last time on the last day of spring squirrel season where they were going crazy like that they were making a "Took, took" sound. This time there was not the first one during the several hours I sat and observed them that made such sound. This time it was definitely one of their whining/crying, ticked off, territory, fighting sound.

Whatever it was that made the squirrels go bat chit crazy that day, it has not been repeated in the following two days. And just as I have stated in my previous thread "Finished my early squirrels season with a unique hunt", this appears to be a one day deal where if any of you every experience or hear such, its game on fellas. So just a heads up.

One other thing I have learned during my time with my Crockett squirrel rifle chasing squirrels so far this year. That would be that whenever they are way up in the tops of the trees cutting on whatever, its almost best to just wait for a while until they are about done eating. Then they often will descend the tree or just jump to other trees where better shots are presented. With scatter guns that is not the case. Its much easier to blast them out of the tops of the trees while they are moving around.

Indeed. When squirrel hunting with a solid projectile rifle it is a game of patients and marksmanship.

And of course, the search goes on in trying to put all of this together.View attachment 250480View attachment 250480View attachment 250482View attachment 250482View attachment 250483
Dang good shooting and good reading!
I've done a lot of coon hunting in the past any only on occasion ever saw a squirrel at night
I do recall a story about a squirrel gone berserk in the Antioch Baptist Church down in Pascagoula 😃

Tex, not disputing that one bit. I can understand those cats making them nervous. From my research, it is said that bobcats are one of a squirrels main enemies.

Squirrels have a few predators that makes them let out warning sounds for sure. There is two different types of whining I am trying to describe. One is a warning and the other is a fighting/territorial sound. The third one is a warning sound whenever they see a hawk but its different yet. And the other warning sound is when they see a human. Its more of a long, slow whistle like whine.
Monday I was in the squirrel woods checking my blind/camera and sat for a bit with my 20g to check the treerat activity when I heard a rock move from an old rock boundary about 25 feet to my right so I turned and made eye contact with a ghost (Bobcat) what a beauty it was!!! So I had about a 4 minute conversation with it (whispering) and I thought for sure as soon as I spoke or moved it would be gone in a flash but instead it stood there looking at me like it was thinking 'this thing is trying to communicate with me' until finally it backed away slowly then poof it was gone. I think it didn't feel threatened by me and I didn't feel threatened by it either. We were just 2 hunters out hunting. What an awesome experience that was!!! Probably a once in a lifetime moment.

Monday I was in the squirrel woods checking my blind/camera and sat for a bit with my 20g to check the treerat activity when I heard a rock move from an old rock boundary about 25 feet to my right so I turned and made eye contact with a ghost (Bobcat) what a beauty it was!!! So I had about a 4 minute conversation with it (whispering) and I thought for sure as soon as I spoke or moved it would be gone in a flash but instead it stood there looking at me like it was thinking 'this thing is trying to communicate with me' until finally it backed away slowly then poof it was gone. I think it didn't feel threatened by me and I didn't feel threatened by it either. We were just 2 hunters out hunting. What an awesome experience that was!!! Probably a once in a lifetime moment.
In my years in the great outdoors I have seen three bobcats and on lynx. The bobcats have been visible for a minute or so and then they have just disappeared in front of my eyes. The lynx was moving away from our bird dogs in Montana and perfectly unconcerned about my presence. They are all such stealthy creatures.

Latest posts

Back