• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Well, I got scammed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to be careful, as mentioned look to see how long a person has been a member, a recent joiner is a red flag. A member with very few posts in also another red flag Lastly is a super good price which is too good to pass up.

I recently saw a post and the person said he had what I had been looking for and the price was below what the item has been selling for. His join date was that day, huh (?) He said he wanted to sell the item as he was moving and needed to sell it, huh(?).

Responded to the seller with conditions of my buying would be. Have not heard from the seller since.

Way too many flags.

And yet, when I questioned a member who'd been here less than a year & had 3 posts, 2 to introduce himself & 1 about the item I had for sale some long-nosed hall monitor took it on himself to become offended & report ME and I got jumped on.

Whenever someone invokes a "friend" they are insulating themselves from criminal
liability. Then if you try to contact the friend you are soliciting and liability shifts.
Only deal with principals or the actual seller. No matter messaging ,at some point
you need to speak directly with the seller and get phones etc. The auction sites
do give winning bidders the id details of sellers --for a reason-- due diligence.
The risk is always on the buyer-- so let the buyer beware.

Actually no....,

The scammer is merely trying to muddy up any follow-up investigation.

Criminal responsibility is still attached to the scammer, unless this is a one and only event, and then it's simply tough to prove... it's a tougher trail to follow.

Most if not all of these guys come up with a procedure, and simply repeat it a lot. They don't vary it much, and this is what leaves a trail, be it physical or electronic, etc. I mean if a person did one major theft in their life, made a huge score, then dropped "off the radar"..., yeah they likely would get away with it IF they thought the whole thing through far enough.

Of course, we're talking an Ocean's 11 scenario..., for the persons who are going to do one job and get away with it... not the vast majority of these guys, eh? ☺

Most of these guys have an "imaginary" friend, so the scammer alone is acting as "tip giver" and "seller". (they don't have to share the stolen money that way). They may change up emails from time to time, but they don't set up each scam independent of the next. So still very much criminal. IF the scammer is working with a partner, then the charges are simply compounded, and in addition to mail fraud and theft, you add conspiracy to commit mail fraud and conspiracy to commit theft. IF the scammer uses something akin to an online payment like Zelle, the charges change to wire fraud.

What the scammers bet on, is that the amounts that they get are small enough not to constitute a felony theft, and thus it is not worth the time needed to find them and bust them. AH but if several of these are connected to the same person..., then it becomes a Theft Scheme, and the total for all of the money from all of the scams is used, and that normally makes it a felony. Further, IF it's widespread enough, or done via the mail, or phones, or internet, even small amounts of wire fraud often become Federal Offenses. That sometimes means enough law enforcement attention to get them stopped.

LD

And yet, when I questioned a member who'd been here less than a year & had 3 posts, 2 to introduce himself & 1 about the item I had for sale some long-nosed hall monitor took it on himself to become offended & report ME and I got jumped on.

You have the right to be wary when you don't know folks, it's only smart.

Actually no....,

The scammer is merely trying to muddy up any follow-up investigation.

Criminal responsibility is still attached to the scammer, unless this is a one and only event, and then it's simply tough to prove... it's a tougher trail to follow.

Most if not all of these guys come up with a procedure, and simply repeat it a lot. They don't vary it much, and this is what leaves a trail, be it physical or electronic, etc. I mean if a person did one major theft in their life, made a huge score, then dropped "off the radar"..., yeah they likely would get away with it IF they thought the whole thing through far enough.

Of course, we're talking an Ocean's 11 scenario..., for the persons who are going to do one job and get away with it... not the vast majority of these guys, eh? ☺

Most of these guys have an "imaginary" friend, so the scammer alone is acting as "tip giver" and "seller". (they don't have to share the stolen money that way). They may change up emails from time to time, but they don't set up each scam independent of the next. So still very much criminal. IF the scammer is working with a partner, then the charges are simply compounded, and in addition to mail fraud and theft, you add conspiracy to commit mail fraud and conspiracy to commit theft. IF the scammer uses something akin to an online payment like Zelle, the charges change to wire fraud.

What the scammers bet on, is that the amounts that they get are small enough not to constitute a felony theft, and thus it is not worth the time needed to find them and bust them. AH but if several of these are connected to the same person..., then it becomes a Theft Scheme, and the total for all of the money from all of the scams is used, and that normally makes it a felony. Further, IF it's widespread enough, or done via the mail, or phones, or internet, even small amounts of wire fraud often become Federal Offenses. That sometimes means enough law enforcement attention to get them stopped.

LD
What if MLF put a ATTN: READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY Header above GUNS FOR SALE that explained the ins and outs of not getting scammed? It would be simple to write and maybe help a few sorry souls in the process of buying.

I'm disappointed that a member here would do such a thing even though some come here just for that purpose.
I've been lucky with my purchases here I've bought two rifles without a problem.
I always let my "spidey senses" take over when it seems odd or too good to be true and they worked for me most times.

What if MLF put a ATTN: READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY Header above GUNS FOR SALE that explained the ins and outs of not getting scammed? It would be simple to write and maybe help a few sorry souls in the process of buying.

Would be a good idea, especially for new folks.

What's the address? Perhaps one of us lives close enough we can intercept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back