• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad Actor

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of USPS money orders get counterfeited. My bank will only take them at the branch.
Not to mention the hassle and aggravation of having to go to the post office to get some #$@%*&! money order...

Personal checks leave a paper trail. Once it settles, the money is as good as any other dollar. With BillPay, my bank sends the seller a check, from the bank, and pays the postage. Hold it for 3 weeks, fine by me - we're both protected.

If the seller fails to send the item, my bank has the cancelled check which shows their bank and bank account number - I can pull it up right now. With a postal money order, If the buyer still has the receipt, how long does it take for USPS to trace it?

You’re all talking about how you prefer to buy stuff to avoid being scammed, which is fine, but I want to know how someone can scam you when they are sending money to your Venmo account??
It’s not like they can decide to take it back.

[snip]
I want to know how someone can scam you when they are sending money to your Venmo account??
[snip].
They overpay, then ask for a refund. Their first payment is with a stolen credit card. When the innocent seller refunds the money, they are using their own money. When the stolen credit card transaction is reported, all those transactions are reversed, including the one to Venmo, who then reverses the payment to the innocent seller.

https://www.aura.com/learn/venmo-scams
This is actually a variation on a scam used by the big scam call centers in India. In one of the YT scambait videos, they actually recorded in real time as the scammer robbed an elderly lady of over $100K - her entire life savings.

The lady calls in about an email regarding a payment for tech support she never ordered. The scammer says, "no problem, I'll cancel the subscription and refund you the ~$100." In the process, he takes control of her computer after he has her login to her bank account. He then asks her to enter something in a text box. Then he exclaims she made a mistake and the refund was for $10,000 instead of $100. He pretends to freak out talking about losing his job and his kids starving. She looks at her bank balance, and sure enough, it looks like there is a deposit for $10K.

There was no mistake. There was no deposit. With control of her screen, he manipulated the loaded webpage. She then transfers money back to his account, but he again adjusts things and she confirms a massive transfer. When she refreshes, it looks fine, because again, he can manipulate how the webpage shows on screen.

That's one way and it is very disarming because it initially appears they sent money first.

I usually take a PMO I receive to a Post Office and cash it. Sometimes I have them cash what they can and write me a MO for the rest, which I either take to another PO or bring back another day. Then I usually end up using all that cash to purchase a USPS MO to pay for another gun.

“For sale-Bad actor……are you selling William Shatner? It’s to the point now where I will just drive to wherever the gun is advertised and pay cash, between scams, financial services not processing firearms payments, and shipping headaches!
Maybe.....we can,,,,,,,work........out,,,,some........sortofagreement.......🤣

I usually take a PMO I receive to a Post Office and cash it. Sometimes I have them cash what they can and write me a MO for the rest, which I either take to another PO or bring back another day. Then I usually end up using all that cash to purchase a USPS MO to pay for another gun.
About 10 years ago I invested about 15k in guns over a few years period. I've been "reinvesting" that for a long time. Usually one rifle out, one in.

I opened an account because buyers wanted the option. But I prefer USPS Money order or cashier’s check.

Heck with that!

I will only take personal check, or money orders. The other stuff is just too risky

If they want it, they can mail the payment

I only pay with personal check as well

Your call, but I have no problems doing it this way

Scammers need to be drawn and quartered!!

I will also post this warning to the Vendor section where my Venmo scam query was moved. This was after user dropped 3 individual $1 deposits in my Venmo account and then wanted to be "Friends on Venmo." I read him the riot act about what I expected.

To quote the new user 19thCenturyNaploeon:

"Don’t worry, you have nothing to threaten me about. as for the bad report, I can just create another account."

So it is a scam. Admins can review entire message chain, I imagine.
I never ever heard of Venmo.Sounds like a laxative.

About 10 years ago I invested about 15k in guns over a few years period. I've been "reinvesting" that for a long time. Usually one rifle out, one in.
I'm confused? Rifle out? Why would a rifle ever go out?

That's a totally foreign concept to me. I am a buyer. I buy guns. If a rifle went out, I would not be a buyer. Worse, I'd have fewer guns...which would make me sad. No bueno.

When I buy or sell in Australia I do direct bank account to bank account transactions, an added security [though annoying] is the gun laws requiring physical transfer through nominated dealers.
Misleading description of the goods is possible but all my deals have been very accurate in this regard, especially firearms, misleading people by false advertising is frowned on by the Law.

Last edited:
@Colonial Boy - Unfortunately, the US banking system is still stuck in the 1950s. In Thailand, I can instantly transfer money from account to account, any bank. In Poland it might take up to two days, but I can show a bank confirmation I sent the money. That is valid EU wide as well. I've paid for goods in Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands all by bank transfer. Also, I wasn't charged for it (even though they rip customers off on the exchange rate).

I remember going to Canada back in 2013. Most folks paid by credit card with a chip using a pin. Handsets were brought to the table and we could add the tip right there. In the US, most merchants required physical wet signatures until ~2018. Even now, I frequently have to sign unless I use TAP.

Of course, the downside to all this convenience is a total loss of privacy and the state can turn off all your access to money instantly.

Good God! I listened to it! where,s that GORN!
The original song is the lead singer of pulp making up how an heiress at his college was in love with him, while in real life, the woman who inspired it had no idea who he was. The song is so narcissistic, that an 80 year old William shatner singing it makes it unintentionally hilarious.

I will also post this warning to the Vendor section where my Venmo scam query was moved. This was after user dropped 3 individual $1 deposits in my Venmo account and then wanted to be "Friends on Venmo." I read him the riot act about what I expected.

To quote the new user 19thCenturyNaploeon:

"Don’t worry, you have nothing to threaten me about. as for the bad report, I can just create another account."

So it is a scam. Admins can review entire message chain, I imagine.
Are you saying a member here by the name of: 19thCenturyNaploeon is a bad seller/scammer? I do not find an account by that name or any posts by that name. And why not let me know so I could check it out?

Latest posts

Back