• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Venmo Scams

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't touch venmo, zelle or anything in the way of electronic payment (except a regular cc or usps mo) with a pole of any length. Even had a personal check stopped. When i checked with bank they said there's now NO FEEs for stops, insufficient funds or or other fiscal irresponsibility so there that kicker.

As to the "buyer" 19thCenturyNapoleon, the fact that he stated he would just ooen a new forum account says it all. I don't expect this transaction to go through. I will just add his $3 to the next donation I make to the forum. Just wanted everyone to have a heads-up about probable scam. Now. Everyone get back to work! LOL 😆.

I'm with you on the personal check, or a USPS money order.
Both works well.
Too many scams otherwise.
The thieves are smarter with this computer stuff and can stick me REAL quickly.
I'm surprised folks has hassles with USPS money orders. I've never had problem with them if they are purchased at a USPS office. They're heavily regulated from the clerk's point of view. We were accountable for every one of them by serial numbers.
Regardless...I seldom buy from individuals over the internet.
I stick with person to person meetings...
I get to handle the gun and inspect it much better than pictures can tell.
Guess I'm a little old school, too many scams & frauds out there for me anymore.

Last edited:
I don't use Venmo, paypal, cash app or all those things. Just old school I guess. Is it this year or next that everyone that uses those apps are going to get a 1099. Didn't know if they were going to wait until it;s not a political year.

Barter-System-in-Economic-Anthropology.webp

Anyone familiar with or has been a victim of a Venmo scam? How do they work? I started using Venmo after my PayPal account was permanently disabled because some dolt put gun words in transaction. I am having a suspicious exchange with a forum user. Not naming just yet in case they just aren't really well versed in proper payment protocols. TIA.
Any payment method,, is just as reliable as any buyer/seller and their word.
Sellers as well as buyers used the words,"I forgot" and/or I'm sorry frequently.
Who is victim? The seller or the buyer?
Asking what platform of transfer is mute. It has to do with honor, respect and diligence of proper and informed exchange.
I have also have had suspicious exchange with forum members.

I tend to do what the seller wants if it's reasonable and not an obvious scam. If it looks weird or too good to be true, I do my due diligence and often or usually back out of the transaction. I have a brother who's an antique collector, buyer and seller who also happens to like black powder guns and who buys and sells them reasonably often. He claims that he'll almost always ship to a buyer who sends him a personal check with the buyer's personal info on the check without waiting for the check to clear and claims that he's never had an issue doing so. If something goes wrong or the buyer were to stop payment on the check, at least he knows where to find them at that point.

Bottom line?
I have several pieces I'd like to part with, but this forum scares me today.
I have had many good transactions here as buyer and seller.
But I have had some go bad, I have been defamed by sellers that have used excuses. Money paid, obligations not met, refunds(?)
It cost me a full day's wages, just to get shipment because of a seller failure to insure, after I paid extra to insure,,
(I did get the $10 refund)(but I lost $the pay) and I it was made that I was the aswhole!
All of it done with paypal! That many here hate!
The topic has been made to query source/method of immediate payment? Isn't it the same as to query obligation.(?)
No individual here can answer.
Payment methods don't seem to matter to the forum. It's business un-related,,,,,,,,,,
Venmo? Not a chance outside of family, and even some of those have to be standing right next to me.

Last edited:
All this new Techno Ology to make our lives so simple and easy. Buy and sell from your couch and never have leave home.
Ahhhhhh, it's never been so good...

...for scammers and thieves.

Myself; I have a Debet Card, a Check book, Cash, or I can buy a MO.
If that is not good enough then I will shop on.
And if I walk INTO a store and they refuse cold hard cash, then I turn around and walk back out.

Yes I have been scammed, I have even been scammed (rather ripped off) when making an online purchase on a website 'store'. Lucky for me I have had a good bank, I acted fast and in good faith and to date I have been reimbursed.

As for PayPal and Amazon, I dumped them years ago and I won't touch any of these new ones I keep hearing about.
And NO! Ain't No One ever going to stick a 'Chip' under my skin!!
I don't buy into that crypto stuff either.

Had guy say he was insulted as we refused venmo. Really went off on us. Earned himself permanent blocked bidder status on several sites used. FWIW Understand some net auctions "share" (read sell) info on blocked and non paying bidders. Not sure if its for vetting or other reasons. To "zelle" mit "venmo"!!!

Latest posts

Back