• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad Actor

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you saying a member here by the name of: 19thCenturyNaploeon is a bad seller/scammer? I do not find an account by that name or any posts by that name. And why not let me know so I could check it out?
I don't know if they self-deleted or another mod deleted them.

When I just looked, it was gone, but I saw the profile earlier; joined December 2022, 19 posts, location was "45 Potters Lane, Central, USA". Most of their posts, even in non-classified section threads, were about selling a 1777 Charleville and a Brown Bess. Any thread mentioning either of those models and he offered to sell them. There were a couple of classified threads where he made low-ball offers in a public reply, instead of as a PM.

Per his threat, he'll probably be back.

Maybe there’s more in the PM’s that we aren’t privy to but the reason for becoming “friends” on Venmo or for sending 1$ is to make sure you are sending money to the right person. Once you send money in Venmo it can’t be undone generally, even if you send it to the wrong person.
This seems more like a misunderstanding than a scam?
I was thinking that too. That’s exactly why you do the $1 transaction.

When I just looked, it was gone, but I saw the profile earlier; joined December 2022, 19 posts, location was "45 Potters Lane, Central, USA". Most of their posts, even in non-classified section threads, were about selling a 1777 Charleville and a Brown Bess. Any thread mentioning either of those models and he offered to sell them. There were a couple of classified threads where he made low-ball offers in a public reply, instead of as a PM.

There are a number of "45 Potters Lane" in Ohio. I counted 6 but I'm sure there's more. I would consider that as Central, US.

I saw the same multiple posts by Napoleon. And then the whole thing vanished.

I know tons of people that use it. When you’re logged in, you can see your friends using it
Nothing online is secure, Period! I remember going to a chain grocery store in Northern Virginia with a co-worker. He was playing with his new BlackBerry. Once inside he motions to me to have a look on his BlackBerry. He was seeing all the stores cash registers, the transactions, amounts and details of all credit cards being used.

He brought this to the attention of the store manager who seemed quite concerned. But a year later same store, same BlackBerry and same results.

Most hackers don't do anything on a network they break in to. Except establish a back door for themselves. They then add the necessary information to a book filled with such information on many networks. Eventually it all gets organized to works networks purpose. i.e. Banking, education, etc. So when he does strike, he hits multiple networks at once. It's also all automated so the attack keeps running even when he's not there.

Are you saying a member here by the name of: 19thCenturyNaploeon is a bad seller/scammer? I do not find an account by that name or any posts by that name. And why not let me know so I could check it out?
The guy called himself Justin Ji in PM. The Venmo money - all $3 toward a $1100 payment - was from Jiayao Ji.

Maybe the forum needs a change of policy. No longer allow members to delete their accounts. Make it simply lock the member out but preserve all the account info, posts etc for further investigation.
If the mods and forum supporters want to look at a policy change, I'd encourage them to adopt the policy used on many other gun forums with classified/trading sections: a user can't even see the classified/trading section until they have at least 50 posts (up from 15).

That change would've eliminated this guy, who I now believe was a scammer. It would also prevent him from easily gaining access with a new account because it takes time and participation to reach 50 posts. I quickly skimmed his posts and he never demonstrated any knowledge about muzzleloading, but he was mostly posting on classified threads. If he could only post on actual topics he'd probably find an easier hunting ground.

If the mods and forum supporters want to look at a policy change, I'd encourage them to adopt the policy used on many other gun forums with classified/trading sections: a user can't even see the classified/trading section until they have at least 50 posts (up from 15).

That change would've eliminated this guy, who I now believe was a scammer. It would also prevent him from easily gaining access with a new account because it takes time and participation to reach 50 posts. I quickly skimmed his posts and he never demonstrated any knowledge about muzzleloading, but he was mostly posting on classified threads. If he could only post on actual topics he'd probably find an easier hunting ground.
Doesn't take too long to post 50 "looks good" posts on this site

Doesn't take too long to post 50 "looks good" posts on this site
True, but that's pretty transparent, especially if done in quick succession. That would also be a non-sequitur on most threads, such as this one or the thread on caps and primers.

Ultimately, nothing is going to prevent scammers 100% of the time. Like all security, the point is to discourage scammers or make it more appealing for them to find easier prey elsewhere. We wouldn't want to make the site unusable or open up a can of worms about privacy if the site began requiring pictures of government photo IDs.

Perhaps no policy change is warranted. If it was a scam, it failed.

Nothing online is secure, Period! I remember going to a chain grocery store in Northern Virginia with a co-worker. He was playing with his new BlackBerry. Once inside he motions to me to have a look on his BlackBerry. He was seeing all the stores cash registers, the transactions, amounts and details of all credit cards being used.

He brought this to the attention of the store manager who seemed quite concerned. But a year later same store, same BlackBerry and same results.

Most hackers don't do anything on a network they break in to. Except establish a back door for themselves. They then add the necessary information to a book filled with such information on many networks. Eventually it all gets organized to works networks purpose. i.e. Banking, education, etc. So when he does strike, he hits multiple networks at once. It's also all automated so the attack keeps running even when he's not there.
BlackBerry. Those haven’t been around for at least what, 10+ years. Or more. Things are getting better. Are they perfect? No. People won’t take money orders. I’m pretty a-r about my computer. I’m getting ready to start an online backup. My website… it would puss me off if they got taken down, but I have it all backed up locally. Nothing to malware me for.

You sound like the store manager was bad. People just didn’t know then.

Latest posts

Back