• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Upside down?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Someone mentioned in another thread about a flintlock being able to fire upside down. He stated it was the mark of a well made lock. Well that just perked my curiosity and I had to try it. I have several locks lying around so here goes. It is difficult to photograph and I will try other methods later with a lock on a rifle. But that will present many more problems. Here are the photos so far.

IMG_4882.jpg

100mm macro lens f2.8 @ 1 sec ISO 200

IMG_4883.jpg

100mm macro lens f8 @ 1 sec ISO 100 with slave flash

IMG_4882.jpg

100mm macro lens f2.8 @ 1 sec ISO 100

This is not a well made lock by the way. It is a Lyman GPR that I just changed the hammer cock to a TC cock. A used Tom Fuller flint and 4F prime as always!

nice photo's. About three years ago, or maybe four, there was a shooter at the New Frontiersman rendezvous who had an underhammer flint lock.The lock was located in the center, much like a flintlock Hopkins and Allen underhammer. It kept the flash out of your face, but it did a number on shirt sleaves! :surrender:

Those are good pics. I've fired a couple of mine upside down a few times just to convince myself. Never underestimate a flintlock.

I think perhaps a flintlock will fire more reliably upside down that right side up since the sparks and powder are colliding in mid air.

All of my flinters work well upside down. A long time ago I learned to shoot with the guns upside down off the top of my head. You do need to practice dry firing a few times before you try it to make sure that your hand is not in front of the lock.

With practice you can get pretty accurate, I have won a few matches with an upside down shot. The fun thing is that it really messes with the other shooters in the match.

Just remember when shooting upside down put the back of the stock on TOP of your head, not on your forehead. Also your gun is sighted for the ball to raise leaving the muzzle, so if you shoot upside down it will shoot really low.

The other thing I learned is not to try it with a Brown Bess and 90 grains of 2F. I couldn't hold it and the frizzen drew a groove across the top of my head. Ah well, live and learn.

Many Klatch :wink:

CoyoteJoe said:
I think perhaps a flintlock will fire more reliably upside down that right side up since the sparks and powder are colliding in mid air.

I have thought the same thing but I have no way of proving it.

I ɥɐʌǝ ɐlʍɐʎs ʇɥonƃɥʇ ʇɥǝ sɐɯǝ ʇɥıuƃ qnʇ ɥɐʌǝ uo ʍɐʎ oɟ dɹoʌıuƃ ıʇ˙
Hale

I guess the real question is "why on earth would anyone want to shoot upsidedown?" :haha:

II screwed up the post! This is supposed to be the third photo.

IMG_4884.jpg

And I looked at that post for five minutes. Must be getting old?

CoyoteJoe said:
I agree...and I think the old saw about it being an indication of a well made lock is just another old wives tales from a tavern :grin:
Have never seen ANYBODY comment that they had a lock which worked fine right side up but wouldn't fire upside down.

I have a number of high speed video of Silers firing up side down - some with priming powder, but at least one up side down with cannon grade powder. Video done at 5000 fps - extreme slow motion.
Regards,
Pletch

jerry huddleston said:
Do all you guys shoot standing on your heads or what??

Jerry,
The slo motion stuff was done at Friendship. We did the up side down trials for fun. The web page has 14 videos with some modern and some originals. We had a great time. Have a play-back software that allows frame by frame advance. you can see some really cool stuff - like flex in the cock necks.

Regards,
Pletch

I have shot mine a few times upside down off of the top of my head. You can tilt your head back a little and see down the sights pretty well. I can hit a two foot square gong at 40 yards. You do need to hold on to the gun pretty tight and DO NOT put the butt of the gun against your forehead! (No I didn't do it).

No practical reason for doing it, just wanted to try it for fun.

H.Hale

I would suggest wearing a hat when touching off a flinter above one's head! :youcrazy:

ohio ramrod said:
nice photo's. About three years ago, or maybe four, there was a shooter at the New Frontiersman rendezvous who had an underhammer flint lock.The lock was located in the center, much like a flintlock Hopkins and Allen underhammer. It kept the flash out of your face, but it did a number on shirt sleaves! :surrender:

Well duh!!! Just shoot in a short-sleeved shirt. That way the sleeves don't get damaged! It's actually safer, because the sleeves won't catch fire. :bull:

Years back I watched a trick shooter demo up in Minnesota. One of his shots was upside down, backwards between his legs hitting a balloon at 25 yards.

Back