• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First range session with Lyman Deerstalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got to shoot my new Lyman Deerstalker .50 today.

Goal was 5 shot groups with 65, 70, 75 and 80 grains of powder to find accuracy. However life happened, and due to time constraints I had to reduce my goal to getting the sights on target on 50 yards. I was shooting:

75 grains by volume Goex FF / Hornady .495 roundballs / pillow ticking patches (0.018" marked on package, but compressed in a micrometer were closer to 0.012"). The patches were soaked in 7:1 water:ballistol and dried.

Ball/patch fit was very tight, but not enough to where I had to hammer it, just needed a whack on the ball starter. Prior to shooting I ran 100 passes of patches with Montana Extreme bore polish to knock off burrs from the factory. Not sure if it made a difference, but none of the recovered patches were cut (pic).

Before shooting I noticed that the caps were sitting pretty loose on the stock nipple. So I went ahead and ordered a Knight Red Hot #11 nipple. Surprise surprise, the replacement nipple was too tall to allow the lock to fully reset when lowering the hammer down after capping. Thus the half-cock did not work. When I got home I replaced the factory nipple and discovered the incredible solution of slightly crimping the cap for a more secure fit. The half-cock notch works again.

Prior to shooting, I weighed 30 of the 100 Hornady roundballs and picked out the few that were within 1 grain of the heavyest ones. Since I ended up not chasing accuracy, I shot the rejects. The heavyest ball of a sample of 30 was 184 grains and many were 182 grains or less. I'll use the good ones for figuring the most accurate charge and for hunting.

The Goex FF powder was the only real black powder that I could get locally, no HASMAT fee and good price. Looking at the cans and price stickers it looks to be 90s vintage. The Deerstalker has a short 24" barrel, but the 75 grain (by volume) charge did not leave unburnt powder on the snow.

The upside down triangle target worked well with the coarse fiber optic sights of the Deerstalker. Holding the front sight right under the downward point really helps with precision as even at 50 yards the front sight would actually cover the triangle if held over it.

The picture is the last 4 shots before it got dark.

When cleaning I found that the best I could do for the patented breech was using the patch worm with a patch hooked and twisted around it. Anybody use a loop jag and a smaller cal brush to swab/scrub the ptented breech?

Attachments

• 20221203_194948.jpg
    20221203_194948.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • VideoCapture_20221203-195225.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221203-195225.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 0
Best way to clean the patent breach, and bore. Remove nipple, stick breach in bucket of warm water with a couple drops of dawn dish soap and pump the solution in and out of the barrel with your rod, jag and cleaning patch. Once your patch is clean, change out the solution to plain warm water and a new patch - repeat the process. Then swab the bore with a couple dry patches to remove moisture. Some follow up with an alcohol patch. Then ten a patch with a good quality gun oil. Clean your nipple with a brush in the soap/water solution, rinse, dry, then grease the threads for easy removal after your next firing. It’s really simple and the whole process should take less than 10 minutes once you are familiar with it. Don’t forget to oil the exterior of your barrel and clean and lightly oil your lock.

I found it helpful to file down the front sight on my Deerstalker. By filing I mean that I took a bit off both sides of the white bead to make it narrower. It works better for my old eyes. I also added a peep but if you like the triangle it should serve you well. That rifle is aptly named and will do a good job on white tails. Enjoy it for many years and hunts.

Thank you for the replies everyone!

ElkStalker, I will have to try the water method. I know it's the old reliable way of cleaning, but wasn't sure how to wipe the patented breech dry of water since the jag stops right before it. I've since ordered a slotted jag that should reach the breech.
morehops52, my gun came with the fiber optics so I can't really file it smaller. I did order a peep sight and globe for it along with some very fine inserts for the globe. Still waiting for the peep to arrive.

I've read that peeps don't work for everyone for hunting in low light as the finer front sights are hard to see.

Here is an idea for a potential work around. There is glow tape available online. My guess is that taping the inside of the globe ring may provide some illumination of the fine reticles. If the peepsight I ordered ever moves forward from backorder, I'll report if the glo-globe actually works in dim light.

Cheers,

MS

I’d be real curious how that glow tape works out for you. In theory, that’s a great idea. In all honesty, I think you are only missing out on 10-15 minutes of shooting light, if any. I’m usually packing up by then because I can’t see the target any longer with open sights of any style. Scopes have the advantage of light gathering which allows you to see your target up until almost dark.
As far as removing water from the patent breach, I’ve never found it to be an issue. I do use hot water (more like a hot bath, not scalding) in the hopes that the warm barrel helps evaporate what’s left. Some say don’t use hot water because of flash rust, but again, I’ve never had an issue. If I’m using hot water, I’m at home, and as soon as I run a few dry patches through it, I’m oiling it. I guess there would be an issue if you forgot to oil it.
WD-40 does a great job of displacing water. Ballistol is an excellent rust protection. Enjoy your new rifle. That will be a really good one.

I will also speak up for the bucket of water and pump it method, be sure to pull the nipple.

you get it going with a good tight seal and it will start to hydraulically pump water in the barrel and when you go on the down stroke give it a good fast and steady push, it will make a jet of water force through the patent breach and out the nipple port, do that a number of times, cleans it up good

I use a 30 caliber bore brush with a patch wrapped around to get into the breech area. It helps to clean that area pretty good.
I also run pipe cleaners through the fire channel.

I use a 30 caliber bore brush with a patch wrapped around to get into the breech area. It helps to clean that area pretty good.
I also run pipe cleaners through the fire channel.
Thanks! Your 30 caliber bore brush wrapped with a patch solution worked perfectly tonight for me. I had used a slotted patch holder before and had to fish out the occasional patch. That size of bore brush with the patch works perfectly and locks the patch right in. I don't think I'll be fishing out patches again.

Back