• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Range Report .62 Jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a .62 Jaeger. I had posted for load suggestions and thought it appropriate to give a range report. First about the rifle. This is a gun made by Steve Zihn. 31” swamped Getz barrel and a Chambers round faced lock. 13 3/4” lop. This gun fits me perfectly and points like a dream. In my mind it’s a perfect match for my English Sporting rifle in terms of handling. One is 18th century, the other 19th century- cool beans.
Here’s a pic:
BD416527-9F0C-4665-A291-E846612141A6.jpeg

This is not a photo I took - been busy shooting…

So now the range report. Hunting season is rapidly approaching so I went to the range to get to work on a load.

I tried powder charges of 80 and 90 grains, using Goex 2F as well as Swiss 2F. I had patches from .010 to .018 as well as felt wads. All I had yesterday were .610 RB from TOTW. I did get a new mold but it came later in the mail and I didn’t have time to cast bullets.

The load the gave the best performance was:
90 gr Swiss 2F powder
20 gauge pre-lubed felt was from Eastern Maine Shooting supplies (in my experience they are a bit larger in diameter than Ox-Yoke)
.018” pillow ticking pre cut and pre lubed patch.
.610 RB from TOTW

I got this 3 shot group at 50 yards.
2862899E-6EDD-4833-B7C1-66ED155B03B1.jpeg

The hole at the top was with the folding leaf up. So, it’s hitting 1 1/2” high at 50 yards. The top hole was 8” above point of aim. I ran out of time to shoot out to 100. Darn the luck, I’ll have to go back out to shoot more - a real tragedy…
The gun was 100% reliable. I swabbed between shots just for the sake of consistency- plus it was quite warm at the range.

A lot of other folks were at the range getting ready for hunting season. I didn’t see a single rifle with a wood stock or blued steel. I’m in a small town so I knew 90% of the folks. They were all enamored with my rifle. Then their casual interest changed when they saw how well it shot. Most commented how “fast” it went off - they expected pull, click, bang…

I have an appointment with some hogs on Wednesday morning. If I have success I’ll be giving a hunting report soon.

Latest posts

Back