• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions crockett kit arrived

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update. More trying to make my squirrel look better. I maybe done soon. I'm about at the peak of my ability. I don't think it's bad for the first time every doing anything like this. I wouldn't say it's good by any means but I guess everyone has to start somewhere. Comments and criticism is welcome. I have a thick skin just want to get better and criticism is a good teacher.

Attachments

• 20230725_233129.jpg
    20230725_233129.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I think the carving looks pretty good! I’m building a rifle also and to be honest, I don’t have the stones to try carving on it!

I think the carving looks pretty good! I’m building a rifle also and to be honest, I don’t have the stones to try carving on it!
I was really nervous at first then it went away as I seen things appear. This is how I did it so far. My wife drew the squirrel. I transfer it from the paper to the wood using carbon paper. (I'm pretty high tech) I took my dremel and outlined everything lightly. Then used my dremel to remove the background. Then used chisels and files to shape things. I used the dremel from time to time to freshen up the lines.

I recently picked up a used complete Crockett rifle on GB, just a week or so ago and before there was a big release of them from Traditions. Condition was not quite as listed but close enough.
Still havent shot it yet though. Seems like a neat little rifle.

I recently picked up a used complete Crockett rifle on GB, just a week or so ago and before there was a big release of them from Traditions. Condition was not quite as listed but close enough.
Still havent shot it yet though. Seems like a neat little rifle.
I can't wait to shoot mine. It's seems like a nice rifle to spend the day hunt small game. I bought some round balls for it today. Not sure what I expected but they are small. I think I misjudged how small 32 is.

I can't wait to shoot mine. It's seems like a nice rifle to spend the day hunt small game. I bought some round balls for it today. Not sure what I expected but they are small. I think I misjudged how small 32 is.
Then remember in the movie, Jeremiah Johnson when he says, "he wanted a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better, he settled for a .30, but damn it were genuine Hawken!"
A .30 cal RB is pea sized! Technical advisor was out to lunch that day!

Then remember in the movie, Jeremiah Johnson when he says, "he wanted a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better, he settled for a .30, but damn it were genuine Hawken!"
A .30 cal RB is pea sized! Technical advisor was out to lunch that day!
I just watched it the other day. I laugh every time I hear that part.

A quick update. Finished up carving to the best of my ability. Decided to burn in some details. Didn't have a burning tool so I sharpen a nail and stuck it in my soldering iron. Sanded everything to 600 grit and stained. Everything is drying now. Tonight I may work on the brass. Just cleaning it up and stuff. Tomorrow will be oil the stock day. It's supposed to be 95 so no reason to go outside.

Attachments

• 20230726_191004.jpg
    20230726_191004.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
That turned out very well, I like it! now you can tell anyone to go get your squirrel gun and they will know just what to grab.

I took it to the range today. Temp was 94 with 2 million percent humidity. Before I even got to the range I decided to not make any adjustments. Just shoot to make sure everything worked fine and have fun. My buddy and I shot maybe 10-15 rounds out of it. Shot nice. We shot offhand. Here is one of the first targets. Not a great group for 25 yds but it wasn't the gun. Between sweat in our eyes and the sweat bees I was happy with just putting lead down range. Once the heat breaks a little I will get serious about sighting it in.

Attachments

• 20230728_142522.jpg
    20230728_142522.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I have to admit, at first I wasn’t sure about the carving. But I like it now. Good job!
When I was doing it there was times I was think about how much it may cost for tradition to send me a new stock. About half way through I started feeling a little more confident and I knew it wasn't going to be a train wreck atleast. Thanks for your comment.

Latest posts

Back