• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

More .32 caliber Crockett rifle thoughts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After the recent threads about the list member having nipple fit issues and the caps not staying on, I pulled out my Crockett rifle I bought over the winter and hadn't shot it yet. I wanted to know if the nipple in mine would screw in properly into the snail. The nipple that came with the rifle is a good fit, not too baggy and seats well when tightened. What surprised me was the only nipple wrench I have that fits this gun I think I bought back in the late 70's. It is the 'T' handled wrench near the nipple. It has a skinny part that fits over the nipple. That wrench was actually made for a cap and ball pistol if I remember correctly. All the other wrenches are too fat to fit into the recess in the snail the nipple screws into. I also am unsure of the thread size of the Crockett nipple. it is NOT a 6x1 mm. The hot shot nipple and the three shotgun nipples are all 6x1 MM and they are loose and baggy when screwed in and do not seat properly. I'll take that Crockett nipple to the hardware store and go through the different metric nuts and find the one that is the perfect fit. Then I will know the exact size. The original list member was also correct a #11 cap will not stay on the nipple. It is almost like the nipple that came with this gun is for a #10 cap. Squeezing the opening of the #11 cap will make the cap fit snugly onto the nipple. I just need to remember to do that when loading. Shooting the gun over time may mushroom the nipple opening a little making the cap fit more snugly. I hope this give some good information to the .32 Crocket rifle owners now and in the future.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• crockett.JPG
    crockett.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I guess I have enough nipple wrenches to fill a grocery bag. Suggestion: don't synch the nipple down if you want to be able to remove it or replace it. Coat the threads with antiseize and just get it snug enough to stay in. The Crockett is a very fine .32 and is accurate to a fault. You will enjoy chasing bushytails with that fine rifle.

I bought a Crockett this winter from a member on this site. I had to have a friend make me a nipple wrench. None of mine would fit. I bought a new nipple for it as the original was mushroomed some. I filed it down and have it for a back up. I bought the 6x1 mm recommended and it is fine.
I’m enjoying this little rifle and am looking forward to squirrel season.

And no.11 caps fit perfect on it. I don’t know why mine is different from yours.🤷‍♂️

Back