• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky kit build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New member here and new to muzzle loading.

A couple years back I bought a CVA Frontier Hunter in .54 for a really good flea market price. It is a beautiful gun and I finally got around to shooting it a couple weeks ago. It was a lot of fun and led me to pursue something I've been wanting to do for a very long time, and that is build a Kentucky rifle.

So, I had my LGS order me a .50 Traditions kit. I started on it after Christmas and have all of the wood and brass parts fitted. Still need to fit the barrel tenons and some more sanding on the stock before I can move to the finishing stage. I'm also thinking of making a custom brass plate to inlet on the left side of the stock opposite the lock. The plan is to engrave or etch something on the plate to add a little personalization.

So far the build has been a lot of fun. Looking forward to shooting the finished product!

1229231357_HDR.jpg

0102240922.jpg

0103241210.jpg

0104241454.jpg

Check out Faux maple or tiger striping. It’s done with wire and a propane torch to simulate fancy maple. I tried it when redoing a Cva mountain stalker and it came out great. I used laurel mountain forge products. Currently finishing an old Cva Kentucky in .45 that has the 2 piece stock like yours and am going to stripe it as well. Hope this helps! Reds

Attachments

• IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not sure on the finish yet. Will stain and oil the stock, just undecided on the color.

One other idea rattling around my brain is to glass bead the brass and satin clear coat it instead of polishing. I have a blast cabinet and a buffer, so I can do either one. Just thinking maybe the satin look would be kinda cool and different. Here is a test I did on a piece of flat stock. The shiny part is stock finish, not polished. Also, I have not tried the clear coat yet.

0106241802[1].jpg

New member here and new to muzzle loading.

A couple years back I bought a CVA Frontier Hunter in .54 for a really good flea market price. It is a beautiful gun and I finally got around to shooting it a couple weeks ago. It was a lot of fun and led me to pursue something I've been wanting to do for a very long time, and that is build a Kentucky rifle.

So, I had my LGS order me a .50 Traditions kit. I started on it after Christmas and have all of the wood and brass parts fitted. Still need to fit the barrel tenons and some more sanding on the stock before I can move to the finishing stage. I'm also thinking of making a custom brass plate to inlet on the left side of the stock opposite the lock. The plan is to engrave or etch something on the plate to add a little personalization.

So far the build has been a lot of fun. Looking forward to shooting the finished product!

View attachment 282889
View attachment 282886
View attachment 282888
View attachment 282890
You are doing very well 👏. These are good shooters. In fact I've never known one not to be.

One comment. And it's hard for me to see on my phone, but it looks like you shaped the forend to match the nose cap only just behind the cap. It slims the rifle down nicely if the entire forestock is taken down to match the Muzzle cap. The cap can even stand to be taken down a bit.

I did the flintlock version two years ago. Made for a great winter project. Learned so much along the way and turned out exactly as I was hoping it would. Many of us here have built these kits , so if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Making progress. Have the stock mostly sanded. Barrel tenons and sights are fitted. Ramrod barrel screws fitted.

Now working on my idea for a custom inlaid brass plate on the left side of the stock. I made two patterns. One mimics the lock plate shape, the other is larger and designed 1/8" smaller than the outline of the flat area of the stock. The plate will be inlaid flush, a third retaining screw added, and screw holes countersunk. Still not sure which one I like better.

The plan is also to engrave or etch the plate with my name or initials and the build date. I think.... 🤔

Any thoughts?

0110241030b.jpg

0110241030a.jpg

0110241031.jpg

0110241431a.jpg

0110241432.jpg

I like the larger plate but it might look better if you try a template 3/16 or 1/4" smaller otherwise take some of the wood down on the smaller plate. It doesn,t look right with so much extra wood. It's looking good so far.

Well....the inletting did not go quite like I wanted on the initial attempt. I found out that I am much better at fitting metal than I am wood. I cut out and finished the brass plate to match my pattern. Then I used the brass plate to trace onto the wood. That all worked well, but my carving skills are not the best so my inlet did not exactly match the brass plate (see first pic).

It was bothering me that the fit was not better. My wife says I am OCD and that nobody else would probably notice. BUT...I would! So, I finished out the inlet as best I could and than cut another brass plate and slowly worked it down until it fit the inlet MUCH better. Now I am happy!

The plate is a little inset from the outer surface of the stock, but I will sand that down to match the plate.

The first attempt. Too many uneven gaps:
0120240940.jpg

First plate and rough cut 2nd plate:
0124241606.jpg

Final plate fitted. Much better:
0124241741.jpg

Now on to sanding and polishing tomorrow.

Back