• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky kit build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More sanding done. The stock is now flush with the custom side plate. Very happy with the results. Don't mind the burn marks from the Dremel sanding drum. Still need to polish the plate, then decide on engraving.

Time to move on to final sanding on the stock, then stain and finish with Tru-Oil.

0125241524.jpg

0125241522.jpg

Nice-looking job of fitting the side plate Kruzn. Looking forward to seeing your continued progress.

Just to offer a tip for your next effort (and there will be one, won't there?) try filing a chamfer of about 3 or 4 degrees on the edges of the piece you intend to inlet so that the "footprint" of the bottom of the piece is smaller than the top. Then trace your guideline around that bottom edge, inlet to your desired depth to fit that small "footprint", and gradually enlarge the inlet until you get the piece set into the wood to your desired fit. Best of luck to you.

Nice-looking job of fitting the side plate Kruzn. Looking forward to seeing your continued progress.

Just to offer a tip for your next effort (and there will be one, won't there?) try filing a chamfer of about 3 or 4 degrees on the edges of the piece you intend to inlet so that the "footprint" of the bottom of the piece is smaller than the top. Then trace your guideline around that bottom edge, inlet to your desired depth to fit that small "footprint", and gradually enlarge the inlet until you get the piece set into the wood to your desired fit. Best of luck to you.

There will probably be another build in the future! 😉 Maybe a pistol...

Thanks for the tip. I actually did add a chamfer on the second attempt which worked out really well. 😎

Two applications of Minwax 231 Gunstock stain is done, brass polished, and first Tru-Oil application (not shown). Will work on barrel bluing tomorrow.

0131241502.jpg

0131241618.jpg

If you put the Tru-oil on with a 1" square of scotch bright pad, scrub it in and quickly wipe of the excess with a rag, you will have a satin finish instead of that extra shiny finish, 5 or 6 coats will give you this;

View attachment 291293

I sanded the gloss smooth and did another application using your method. I like it. Will do a few more coats. Thanks for the advice!

Well, she's all done! A couple things I might have done differently, but I am very happy with it!

I used Minwax 231 Gunstock stain and 5 coats of Tru-Oil on the stock. Certain areas have a bit of a "worn" look. I applied the first Tru-Oil coat a little too heavy using a cloth so I sanded it smooth and then applied coats 2-4 using Scotchbrite pads which made it smooth with a satin finish. I wanted just a little more gloss so the final 5th coat was applied with cloth again, then immediately wiped off. After it dried I polished it with a used Bounce drier sheet. That left a real nice smooth semi-gloss finish.

I really enjoyed the build. It was good practice for the next one! I have a Traditions Trapper pistol kit arriving tomorrow!

0206241529.jpg

0206241530.jpg

I still haven't decided whether or not to engrave the custom side plate.
0206241531.jpg

0206241531a.jpg

0206241532.jpg

The brass polished up nicely.
0206241532a.jpg

The bluing turned out OK. Will try to do better on the next one.
0206241533.jpg

Next to my CVA Frontier Hunter. The CVA has a polyurethane finish which is pretty nice but I like the hand-rubbed oil finish better.
0206241536.jpg

Latest posts

Back