• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Crockett kit thoughts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying/ trading for a Traditions Crockett rifle in 32 caliber in kit form, for quite some time now. I’ve been surfing the net for images of finished ones. Anyone have some pictures of ones that they’d like to share? Also, is it just my eyes, or is the kit profile different than the factory finished product? I also noticed that the factory finished example has a toe plate, kit example appears to not have one. I’m going to call Traditions Monday and inquire, until then, what do you guys think?
When I do come across one that is affordable, I’d like to finish it with a dark stain, resduce the size of the lock panels, French grey the barrel and darken the brass. I know it’s a factory made rifle and some would turn thier noses up at it, but I like the weight, the caliber and over all shape. What’s been your experience with this rifle? Here’s the comparison for kit form vs finished that I was talking about earlier in my post.

Attachments

• IMG_1933.png
    IMG_1933.png
    1 MB · Views: 11
Mine is not a kit. You will probably enjoy it more in a kit since you will have a hand in the outcome. I got mine to hunt and plink with. The rifle shoots better than I do. Only thing I did was to put on a set of fiber optic sights on her (old eyes).

Hello S.Kenton.

I cannot answer your question but perhaps this will.

If you do a YouTube search you will find a Few videos about the Crockett rifle. One fella by the name of Hovey Smith has several videos out on the Crockett. He begins with a kit and continues until hunting with it. If memory serves me correctly, he had an issue with the stock to barrel fit and had to fabricate a piece to put between the two. I do not know if the issue was due to an error on his behalf or not.

There’s also another fella that has some videos on the complete kit buildup of a Crockett. I believe it might be called Small Arms Review.

I have a factory built Crockett that I would venture to say I most likely put it to more use in one year that the average person would put on a Crockett in 10 years. I hunted a lot with that little rifle. I would reckon it’s been out at least 75 times and that is not an over statement. This was real world, in the steep mountains hunting. It’s been through thick brush, rocks, briars, quite a bit of rain and high humidity conditions. It has some battle scars but so far, it has never failed me nor has it failed to fire other than one time I had a bad cap.

In terms of accuracy; I find the my Crockett to shoot better than I can. However, for whatever reason, I find it challenging to shoot offhanded.

I cannot speak for the reliability in the long run but so far, mine has treated me well and has provided many great times in the squirrel woods under some very trying conditions.

The only issues I’ve had with it was the factory nipple is too small of diameter to where a #11 cap fell off way to easily. I rectified that by purchasing a replacement nipple from TOTW for about $6.00.

The other issue was the factory ram rod is junk. It’s too small of diameter for the barrel thimbles, thus it rattled with every step I took. It was also cut too short. Easily rectified by ordering a larger diameter raw chunk of hickory wood and building it up myself at a minimum cost.

Overall, despite the Crockett being made somewhat cheap, after carrying that little rifle on so many hunts in difficult terrain, it has almost ruined me, in terms of my other muzzleloaders. It’s light, easy to carry, has no recoil, is easy on powder and has very little report upon firing.

I brought home 69 squirrels and one rabbit with mine the first year.

Good luck on your quest. If you would like any specific pictures of any part of the rifle just get in contact.

Last edited:
So I’m going to get one (well another one) and main reason is I regret selling the one I had in the first place. SOO many people almost want to not like this rifle, I know the fit and finish isn’t always the best but these are things that can fixed or overlooked. The one thing I hear more then anything is that these little suckers shoot! And I can attest that they do! Could there be one in the bunch that doesn’t… sure but more often then not they shoot lights out with a nice light charge. How can you go wrong? Iv thought about putting a nice stock on one if I have one laying around but that’s not a deal breaker for me. I think they are fine guns and a great option in the .32 when you don’t want to go custom. Plus you can tinker around and make it your own without feeling bad about it bc it’s not a $1000 plus gun. I think that anyone wanting this gun should just get one, and if it’s that bad fit and finish get a hold of traditions since they are still in business

Hello S.Kenton.

I cannot answer your question but perhaps this will.

If you do a YouTube search you will find a Few videos about the Crockett rifle. One fella by the name of Hovey Smith has several videos out on the Crockett. He begins with a kit and continues until hunting with it. If memory serves me correctly, he had an issue with the stock to barrel fit and had to fabricate a piece to put between the two. I do not know if the issue was due to an error on his behalf or not.

There’s also another fella that has some videos on the complete kit buildup of a Crockett. I believe it might be called Small Arms Review.

I have a factory built Crockett that I would venture to say I most likely put it to more use in one year that the average person would put on a Crockett in 10 years. I hunted a lot with that little rifle. I would reckon it’s been out at least 75 times and that is not an over statement. This was real world, in the steep mountains hunting. It’s been through thick brush, rocks, briars, quite a bit of rain and high humidity conditions. It has some battle scars but so far, it has never failed me nor has it failed to fire other than one time I had a bad cap.

In terms of accuracy; I find the my Crockett to shoot better than I can. For whatever reason, I find it challenging to shoot offhanded.

I cannot speak for the reliability in the long run but so far, mine has treated me well and has provided many great times in the squirrel woods under some very trying conditions.

The only issues I’ve had with it was the factory nipple is too small of diameter to where a #11 cap fell off way to easily. I rectified that by purchasing a replacement nipple from TOTW for about $6.00.

The other issue was the factory ram rod is junk. It’s too small of diameter for the barrel thimbles, thus it rattled with every step I took. It was also cut too short. Easily rectified by ordering a larger diameter raw chunk of hickory wood and building it up myself at a minimum cost.

Overall, despite the Crockett being made somewhat cheap, after carrying that little rifle on so many hunts in difficult terrain, it has almost ruined me, in terms of my other muzzleloaders. It’s light, easy to carry, has no recoil, is easy on powder and has very little report upon firing.

I brought home 69 squirrels and one rabbit with mine the first year.

Good luck on your quest. If you would like any specific pictures of any part of the rifle just get in contact.
That’s a heck of a write up, thanks for taking the time to write that review. Hey does yours have a hooked breech? Thanks again!
Kary

So I’m going to get one (well another one) and main reason is I regret selling the one I had in the first place. SOO many people almost want to not like this rifle, I know the fit and finish isn’t always the best but these are things that can fixed or overlooked. The one thing I hear more then anything is that these little suckers shoot! And I can attest that they do! Could there be one in the bunch that doesn’t… sure but more often then not they shoot lights out with a nice light charge. How can you go wrong? Iv thought about putting a nice stock on one if I have one laying around but that’s not a deal breaker for me. I think they are fine guns and a great option in the .32 when you don’t want to go custom. Plus you can tinker around and make it your own without feeling bad about it bc it’s not a $1000 plus gun. I think that anyone wanting this gun should just get one, and if it’s that bad fit and finish get a hold of traditions since they are still in business
Well, since your the one that got my juices flowing for this little venture.. I thank you for your write up to! Do you remember if yours was hooked breech? Also was it a factory built or kit gun?

Well, since your the one that got my juices flowing for this little venture.. I thank you for your write up to! Do you remember if yours was hooked breech? Also was it a factory built or kit gun?
So mine was a factory and it was NOT hooked. Just got this one an hour ago from my buddy, he wanted an old pedersoli rifle I had and I wanted this so good trade in my eyes. This one’s either early 2000s or older but I like it a lot! Wood isn’t bad at all, I’m going to refinish it to try and bring more character out. Him and I were talking and as much as they are just okay guns you don’t see many used come up and to be honest it took me months to get this one from him hahah

Attachments

• IMG_5908.jpeg
    IMG_5908.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5910.jpeg
    IMG_5910.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5909.jpeg
    IMG_5909.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I’ve had my Crockett for over a year now and have shot the whizz out of it. It isn’t a kit, but I have found the fit and finish to be pretty good. Any dings or scratches have been made by me. I agree with Ed on the ram rod It isn’t the best. I upgraded mine to a solid brass one. I didn’t notice any extra weight by going solid brass. It eliminated the rattling of the factory one. I’ve carried mine around a lot. I’ve shot mine a lot. It would take a good mint for me to get rid of it, and I doubt I would then.

I’ve found that the accuracy is spot on. I would consider a kit or a custom flint one day, but I’ll always keep that rascal in my possession.

Here are a few pics of said ram rod.

Anthony
IMG_0123.jpeg
IMG_0122.jpeg
IMG_0121.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had my Crockett for over a year now and have shot the whizz out of it. It isn’t a kit, but I have found the fit and finish to be pretty good. Any dings or scratches have been made by me. I agree with Ed on the ram rod It isn’t the best. I upgraded mine to a solid brass one. I didn’t notice any extra weight by going solid brass. It eliminated the rattling of the factory one. I’ve carried mine around a lot. I’ve shot mine a lot. It would take a good mint for me to get rid of it, and I doubt I would then. Also, not a hooked breach.

I’ve found that the accuracy is spot on. I would consider a kit or a custom flint one day, but I’ll always keep that rascal in my possession.

AnthonyView attachment 287460View attachment 287461View attachment 287462
I went with the solid brass rod from The Log Cabin Shop as well. I didn't notice the extra weight being detrimental. They are shooters for sure.

That’s a heck of a write up, thanks for taking the time to write that review. Hey does yours have a hooked breech? Thanks again!
Kary
No it is not a hooked breech. Pretty sure it’s called a snail breech.

Last edited:
I’ve had my Crockett for over a year now and have shot the whizz out of it. It isn’t a kit, but I have found the fit and finish to be pretty good. Any dings or scratches have been made by me. I agree with Ed on the ram rod It isn’t the best. I upgraded mine to a solid brass one. I didn’t notice any extra weight by going solid brass. It eliminated the rattling of the factory one. I’ve carried mine around a lot. I’ve shot mine a lot. It would take a good mint for me to get rid of it, and I doubt I would then. Also, not a hooked breach.

AnthonyView attachment 287460View attachment 287461View attachment 287462
I went with the solid brass rod from The Log Cabin Shop as well. I didn't notice the extra weight being detrimental. They are shooters for sure.
In all honesty, I think a brass ram rod might actually help the Crockett rifle some, in terms of weight distribution and offhand shooting. Not for sure, but that’s what I’m thinking.

So mine was a factory and it was NOT hooked. Just got this one an hour ago from my buddy, he wanted an old pedersoli rifle I had and I wanted this so good trade in my eyes. This one’s either early 2000s or older but I like it a lot! Wood isn’t bad at all, I’m going to refinish it to try and bring more character out. Him and I were talking and as much as they are just okay guns you don’t see many used come up and to be honest it took me months to get this one from him hahah
I like that older, darker wood much better than what they have now.

I like that older, darker wood much better than what they have now.
ETipp, do you think it’s possible that a machine screw could be installed through and into the trigger plate instead of relying on the wood tang screw? These aren’t for sale where I live, I’d have to order sight unseen. Thanks

ETipp, do you think it’s possible that a machine screw could be installed through and into the trigger plate instead of relying on the wood tang screw? These aren’t for sale where I live, I’d have to order sight unseen. Thanks
I’m sorry but that question is a bit above my pay scale. I would like to help you but I haven’t the answer.

Perhaps ask someone on the gun builders forum?

In all honesty, I think a brass ram rod might actually help the Crockett rifle some, in terms of weight distribution and offhand shooting. Not for sure, but that’s what I’m thinking.
I do know the fiber optic sights I added to mine helped out a lot for accuracy. The eyes aren't what they used to be.

Latest posts

Back