• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Crockett kit thoughts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all honesty, I think a brass ram rod might actually help the Crockett rifle some, in terms of weight distribution and offhand shooting. Not for sure, but that’s what I’m thinking.
I fell that it does. I shoot a lot more off hand than I do bench. From the seat of the pants/ gut feeling I think it stabilizes it. And I think it adds to the looks as well. It wasn’t to spendy. I ordered it through October Country.

Anthony

I fell that it does. I shoot a lot more off hand than I do bench. From the seat of the pants/ gut feeling I think it stabilizes it. And I think it adds to the looks as well. It wasn’t to spendy. I ordered it through October Country.

Anthony
Tony, as soon as I’m physically able, I plan on doing some additional testing with my Crockett squirrel rifle. After finding the best load with the new to me “Swiss” powder, hopefully my next testing will be on adding different amounts of weights to different locations on the rifle. My reasoning is to hopefully find a solution to aid in offhand shooting.

So perhaps a little more weight out towards the muzzle will be the answer.

Thanks for posting a picture of that brass ram rod. I agree, it adds to the looks in one sense.

I made one from a seconds kit. overall it went together fairly easy. they are good shooting guns that I can recommend.

I’d like to see it!
Well… that’s the thing I’m using laurel mountain browning and no matter what I’m doing it’s coming out more dark blue hahaha! It might be antique grey not brown but I’ll keep trying. I think it’s the rust and blue remover I used that isn’t allowing it to rust

I have 2 Crocketts (I need 1 more), 1 a kit the other an older factory finish. Both shoot great with 15 grains of FFF. I need to play around with them more, I am having difficulty trying to get an accurate load with conicals. I would also like to find another barrel for it and send it off and see what is the largest caliber to get it bored to. I believe mine weighs in around 6.5lbs. If I could get that gun down to 6lbs and bored to a .45, it would be a deer killing machine.

Well… that’s the thing I’m using laurel mountain browning and no matter what I’m doing it’s coming out more dark blue hahaha! It might be antique grey not brown but I’ll keep trying. I think it’s the rust and blue remover I used that isn’t allowing it to rust
Have you considered homemade walnut stain?

Clean the barrel VERY VERY well, then try it

No… but tell more bc it would probably be easier hahah
Well, sadly I don’t know much more other than it’s supposed to be good for wood that doesn’t like to darken very well. I bought home some walnuts from my happy hunting grounds last fall to hopefully make my own stain

Might want to do a search on here to see if you can come up with more information on it.

Latest posts

Back