• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Best Muzzleloading Movies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some recent shows I enjoyed

Frontier

Barkskins (especially good sad only 1 season)

Hell on Wheels

You could blink your eyes and miss the muzzleloading scenes in "Lincoln" with Daniel Day Lewis.The opening battle scene is Jenkin's Ferry, I think. The end of the movie briefly shows Booth's derringer. Both scenes are very brief.But it was set in that Era of the Civil War where muzzleloaders were prevalent.

OK, Dont want to start a war but post your Favorite Motion Pictures for Traditional Muzzleloading.
some of my favorites.

Jeremiah Johnson 1972
The Last of the Mohicans 1992
The Patriot 2000
The Revenant 2015
How the West Was Won 1962
Sergeant York 1941, filmed 1939/40 a lot of real antique Muzzlelaoders were used as there were no reproductions at that time.

Be kind.
I saw Jeremiah Johnson in 6th grade (1975?). Got me hooked on getting a .50 Hawken. Finally got it this year. :)

I didn't see it mentioned but, what about Kentucky Rifle?

Just watched it. A decent classic to pass an evening. :)

Smith too, about 1827 or 8. It was prior to his first trip to California.
He lost part of his ear and a section of scalp.
The only known drawing of Smith done after he quit SJS but had yet to form his Santa Fe expedition. He is stylishly dressed but hair is pulled forward to cover up his scar.

I read an account of that, it described Smith as sitting reading his Bible while one of his men sewed his torn off Ear back on.

That would have been the Battle of New Market in Virginia 1864. The cadets from Virginia Military Institute took up arms and marched to join the battle. But I don’t think they actually fought. Still very brave for 14-15 year old kids.

The VMI Cadets who charged and fought at the Battle of Newmarket, took casualties and routed the Federal troops in front of them, in addition to capturing a Battery of Field Guns.

And here I am as a 5th generation Australian with a family link through my Southern Great Grandmother Anna Gray to John Bowie Gray, one of the VMI Cadets who made that charge 158 years ago.
Its a small world after all.

Broken Chain, Waterloo, The Horatio Hornblowr series, The Duelists, The Buccaneer, and Chasing the Deer, which is so obscure I'd be shocked if any has heard of it.
Plus pretty much all the movies mentioned in the previous posts. Saw at least one that interested me.
Good posts!

The only one I dont have in my collection is "The Buccaneer" I'll look it up for availability.

"Broken Chain" (Pierce Brosnan" is outstanding IMHO. "Chasing the Deer" although less well known is worthy of collecting as its a very different account of the Jacobite rebellion 1745-46. (Good portrayal by Brian Blessed).

Centennial, parts of the last of the Mohicans , parts of the Patriot, a movie from the 50’s Deerslayer. Alamo, Gettysburg.Jeremiah Johnson, parts of Sargent York
That about sums up my take on this question as well. There are some really good scenes and sequences featuring muzzleloaders in those movies. Of course, there are some really bad ones too, with some that really ruin the ten or fifteen good minutes leading up to that one terrible moment! The horrible stuffed and lifeless elk dummy that got thrown over a rocky drop off in the beginning of Last of the Mohicans, the 300 yard, pin point accuracy in the dark shooting a smoothbore off hand; you get the idea. But even that I'm willing to overlook if the storyline is half good and the acting ain't half bad.

Latest posts

Back