• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BEST and WORST Actor in a Role of Ours?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old classic movies from Hollywoods Golden Age (1930’s - 1950’s) are the best and nothing recent really comes close to any of them. Here are four favorites. If you haven’t seen them you should check them out.

Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) with Henry Fonda and Claudette Colbert. Directed by John Ford. A newlywed couple attempt to settle in the Mohawk Valley of New York but are caught up in the beginnings of the American Revolution.

Northwest Passage (1940) about Major Robert Rogers and Rogers Rangers, the tough frontiersman who led a gruelling expedition to Canada in 1759 to seek a northwest passage to the Pacific. Starring Spencer Tracy, Robert Young, and Walter Brennen.

The Fighting Kentuckian (1949) with John Wayne and Oliver Hardy. Post War of 1812 veterans fight to protect their land from robber barons who attempt to steal it.

The Big Sky (1952) with Kirk Douglas and directed by Howard Hawks. Two men join an expedition and begin to travel 2,000 miles up the Missouri and into the Yellowstone River to seek trade with the Blackfoot Indians, in competition with the Missouri Fur Company.

Though not mentioned in this forum, or perhaps I just missed it was the movie, Gray Eagle. Had a friend that absolutely hated it, calling unrealistic and such. Had 3 great actors, at least a far as I'm concerned, Alex Cord, in the title role, Ben Johnson and Jack Elam. Briefly was Paul Fix. BP guns. a cannon and a little unexpected romance. What's not to love?

Worst for me was Leo DeCaprio in The Revenant. Totally unbelievable in that role. Of course, that is a biased opinion, because I don't like him as an actor.

The funny thing is, he won his first (& propably only) Oscar for a role where he had very little dialog!

I also love the firing three shots out of that pistol without ever reloading. I doubt if Frenchy had his possibles bag on him while violating the Native girl. AND like most Bioptics, not completly accurate due to Hollywood liberties.

Walt

P.S.: I had a friend that went to see the movie and couldn't figure out why there were so many women in the theater. I said "To see Leo"!

Last edited:
Yes, but you have to give him credit for being able to fire off a flintlock with an open frizzen and no prime. That's a pretty neat trick. ;)
What about that repeating handgun he had? Or the powder flask that kept the powder dry after being soaked? Or the fire steel that magically got things flaming away after a couple strikes and no blowing on an ember? They must have had better equipment and skills than we have been led to believe.

What about that repeating handgun he had? Or the powder flask that kept the powder dry after being soaked? Or the fire steel that magically got things flaming away after a couple strikes and no blowing on an ember? They must have had better equipment and skills than we have been led to believe.
All lost talents these days… ;)

Imagine trying to watch "Bonanza" with Thai language dubbing in the mid 70's, we used to chuckle and the local girls were very annoyed.
Ha, Ya their lips move and the words come out about 2 seconds later. How did you like Thailand ? I want to go there and it's one of my top places I want to go to. It looks lush and tropical and crystal clear Ocean water. I heard some of the beaches near bangkok ? or bigger cities are pretty nasty water so I will avoid those for sure.

Ha, Ya their lips move and the words come out about 2 seconds later. How did you like Thailand ? I want to go there and it's one of my top places I want to go to. It looks lush and tropical and crystal clear Ocean water. I heard some of the beaches near bangkok ? or bigger cities are pretty nasty water so I will avoid those for sure.

I was based there for 2 years in the mid 70's, my first Wife was a 19 year old Thai girl from Nong Khai (on the Mekong River bordering Laos) who I brought back to Australia. (I lost her giving birth to twin boys in 1985). My adult daughter speaks fluent Thai as I do and we often fly back to stay with our Thai family there, I'm booked to fly back early March in the new year.

My advice is to only stay in Bangkok for 2 or 3 days and visit the more authentic Thai cultural experiences , (I can give you more info later when you're ready to go ) then tour the rural cities and towns to enjoy the real Thai scene.
BTW the Thai women are stunningly beautiful and naturally elegant......and available, Pattaya shouldnt be overlooked LOL.

Affordable accommodation and the Thai cuisine is overwhelmingly impressive , I have many Expat Veteran friends living there and would be there myself if not for my Horses, rural lifestyle; and ML interests here in Australia.

I love Thailand and the Thai people (Sans the Army Junta BS manipulating the King) who are really suffering economically now.

Some of you may object to this movie not being purely Muzzle loading in content, but hey theres a great concluding scene involving each Duellist with a brace of Flintlock pistols.

BTW its accurately based on a real life Duel between two French Hussar Officers that spanned over 19 years.

Back