• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Tecumseh's Vision" on PBS Last Nite

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetcanoe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Since we've been discussing Eckert's "The Frontiersmen" in a current thread in this forum...did anyone watch "Tecumseh's Vision" last night on PBS? It was the 2nd of 5 episodes of the "We Shall Remain" Series they're airing. (Notwithstanding PBS or their political slant), I enjoyed this. It is, as you would imagine, told from the Native American point-of-view, with modern Shawnees, authors and historians commenting as the story unfolds.

As I watched this (it was quite long; 2hrs I think), I was glad I had read The Frontiersmen, which details quite a bit about the Ohio, Shawnees, and Tecumseh. As Simon Kenton (in the novel) is undergoing his adventures and battles in and around KY and OH, the American Revolution is also taking place, and the resulting land treaties continue to displace the Indians. Before reading the book, I didn't realize how Tecumseh had created a unified army of tribes who would oppose the White man's expansion in the new country. I don't remember learning that in school! I've also enjoyed learning about the Indian's shaky alliance with the British, who were still defending land in the (then) "Northwest" and Canada. Again, both the film and novel explained how even after America won Independance, this conflict continued.

Anyone else care to comment on the show? With all of the manure on network and cable TV these days, I'll watch just about anything about this time period. Ever since I was a kid, I've noticed that almost any shows about Native Americans focus mainly on the "Wild West". I think that's why so many people were starved for things like 1992's "Last of the Mohicans".

PS: One last bit: Next week's episode "Trail of Tears" about the Cherokees will be especially neat since it stars one of my favorite actors, Wes Studi. It should be interesting also for alot of us folks on this forum from the Southeast and Carolinas. Here's a link: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/weshallremain/

Last edited by a moderator:
very educational in historical sence, but the derogatory language used for amnerica, american presidents and policies tells a lot of the political bias behind the series. what it did not cover is the tribal politics and wars, ethnic cleansing from one tribe towards others,a and other non-populat isses related to the indians before the americans came, or even at the same time when struggling against the americans. i've watched the first part too, it was even more educationsl, for me at elast.

I only saw half of it. I was tired and couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. Anyway, I had to get up at 5:30 this morning to go turkey hunting, so I needed to get to bed. (saw one tom this morning, but he wouldn't come within range)

What I saw, I enjoyed. I have read quite a bit about the man and so I can't say that I learned anything new from the show.
Tecumseh was a gifted leader.

I'm looking forward to next week's show that will feature the Cherokee and the "Trail of Tears". I currently reside smack in the middle of the gathering grounds where the Cherokee were rounded up, kept in concentration camps, and finally force marched off to Oklahoma.

The Cherokee were here all of last week, holding all kinds of councils and celebrations at Red Clay and other local spots related to their history. I attended a speech by Jim Baker, one of the current Cherokee chiefs from the Oklahoma band, at the site of one of the former concentration camps, a place called Rattlesnake Springs. Several hundred Cherokee; men and women of all ages, and children were held there by soldier's guns and bayonets, without shelter except for a few blankets for several weeks before they were sent on to the west.

The springs still flow. Cool, crystal clear water coming out among rocks on a low hillside.

I'm 1/8th Shawnee. Tecumseh would be considered a "domestic terrorist" now, rather than a patriot fighting for his country. :shake:

Stumblin Wolf said:
I'm 1/8th Shawnee. Tecumseh would be considered a "domestic terrorist" now, rather than a patriot fighting for his country. :shake:

I think that's what the U.S. did actually think of him at the time. There's not too many folks in our history that the government sent an entire Army after. It was the first time I saw the show though and I really enjoyed it. Although everything I've read, the assumption is Tecumseh passed on the "prophecies" to his brother, where the show made it seem as if they were his own.

if you want to you can watch all 4 or 5 parts to this story on PBS.com well worth the effort...

Just thought i'd mention, conservatives are now considered "Domestic Terrorist Watch List" worthy...yep..DHS says we are one...

Proud American

Last edited by a moderator:
Back