• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BEST and WORST Actor in a Role of Ours?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was based there for 2 years in the mid 70's, my first Wife was a 19 year old Thai girl from Nong Khai (on the Mekong River bordering Laos) who I brought back to Australia. (I lost her giving birth to twin boys in 1985). My adult daughter speaks fluent Thai as I do and we often fly back to stay with our Thai family there, I'm booked to fly back early March in the new year.

My advice is to only stay in Bangkok for 2 or 3 days and visit the more authentic Thai cultural experiences , (I can give you more info later when you're ready to go ) then tour the rural cities and towns to enjoy the real Thai scene.
BTW the Thai women are stunningly beautiful and naturally elegant......and available, Pattaya shouldnt be overlooked LOL.

Affordable accommodation and the Thai cuisine is overwhelmingly impressive , I have many Expat Veteran friends living there and would be there myself if not for my Horses, rural lifestyle; and ML interests here in Australia.

I love Thailand and the Thai people (Sans the Army Junta BS manipulating the King) who are really suffering economically now.

I was based there for 2 years in the mid 70's, my first Wife was a 19 year old Thai girl from Nong Khai (on the Mekong River bordering Laos) who I brought back to Australia. (I lost her giving birth to twin boys in 1985). My adult daughter speaks fluent Thai as I do and we often fly back to stay with our Thai family there, I'm booked to fly back early March in the new year.

My advice is to only stay in Bangkok for 2 or 3 days and visit the more authentic Thai cultural experiences , (I can give you more info later when you're ready to go ) then tour the rural cities and towns to enjoy the real Thai scene.
BTW the Thai women are stunningly beautiful and naturally elegant......and available, Pattaya shouldnt be overlooked LOL.

Affordable accommodation and the Thai cuisine is overwhelmingly impressive , I have many Expat Veteran friends living there and would be there myself if not for my Horses, rural lifestyle; and ML interests here in Australia.

I love Thailand and the Thai people (Sans the Army Junta BS manipulating the King) who are really suffering economically now.
I am sorry about your Wife and your loss. Nice that you and your adult daughter speak fluent Thai and that you have Thai family there to stay with. I will take your advice and only stay in Bangkok for a lil bit, me and the Wife are not much of city people and we are fortunate to live In rural Oregon. When we get to go we are going to go to the small rural areas of Thailand first and check out Bangkok and Pattaya, I will have to behave myself and not get in trouble with those beautiful Thai women, LOL. We have a small Donut shop in the bigger city North of us and the Thai owners are always nice to us there and give us extra Donuts all the time. The Thai woman that runs the shop is Beautiful and she has a cute Thai accent. We look forward to going to Thailand and we are going to have to wait a bit till we can go, but it is on our goal list. We have Family in New South Wales Australia that we want to stay with for a bit and are wanting to check out the area as well. From what I have seen the beaches there are nice clear Ocean, but I doubt I will get in the water I don't want to be Shark bait ! I have been told that Australia has quite a bit of Slavic people there and many of them are opal miners, I myself am half Slavic on my Fathers side, but I am an American Citizen born here. I have seen that New Zealand is Beautiful as well and we want to check that out too, maybe we can.

Oliver Hardy w/ John Wayne I think it was the Kentuckian? Oliver Hardy what were they thinking
Oliver Hardy was a gifted actor. I too saw The Kentuckian and loved it. With far too many (older) people, myself included, only remember Hardy from his comedy shorts with Stan Laural. who too was a gifted actor. Just Google their movies. You might be surprised.

Oliver Hardy was a gifted actor. I too saw The Kentuckian and loved it. With far too many (older) people, myself included, only remember Hardy from his comedy shorts with Stan Laural. who too was a gifted actor. Just Google their movies. You might be surprised.

It was enjoyable watching him get tore up by the Grizz though.
Haa, that is funny! Leanardo is a Putz, and his acting is manure. Just my opinion anyways.

I have read through all this. Rather quickly though. So I am surprised not to see the best for me and a big influence Given the time and my age of 12/13 is centennial. All of the series. But namely the first 3 episodes. I am pasquinel I come to you unafraid. Moved me forward from the Daniel Boone show.

What surprises me is not the ACTING - especially wthere the studio system meant that they pushed their own "stars", but that SO many people believe the things that they see -- - and take them to be authentic. This is especially so in the B Westerns where the "hoglegs" are strung across the body from the waist to the opposite knee, and then tied down. Have people never tried to walk with one? Or saddled up wearing one? Another thing that amuses me is the size of the hats -- so-called "ten gallon" ( look up the Mexican derivation?) so they HAVE to be enormous, and then they stick up above the ridge when the actor is looking down ;-)
The term " a grain of salt" comes to mind when watching these movies.

Life is also about loss and sorrow can bring us down if we dwell on it, I'm thankful for the wonderful years we had together and the living legacy I have through our now adult two children. Our daughter looks so much like Daeng and its haunting but in a good way as a reminder of her.

If I may give some advice, book a Sleeper compartment on the Bangkok to Chiang Mai journey very well ahead of your trip, and book a weeks accommodation in Chiang Mai (not during the burning season when smoke lies low and dense).
While in Bangkok (Krungthep in Thai) visit Wat Po Temple complex and avail yourself of an authentic Thai massage, believe me you'll float on air afterwards.
Check out the "Jim Thompson House" in Bangkok, look it up on the internet be amazed.

Beware of the Bangkok Taxi Mafia avoid them like the plague, download the Grab app in Bangkok and wherever else you go.
When you arrive in Suvarnabhumi (pronounced Suwarnaboom) airport in Bangkok take the lift down to the BTS (Train station) and do your currency exchange in the aisle leading to the platform.
Always ask the price of anything before you buy or pay, and bargain the Thais expect it; try for around 10% of the price off.
Tipping, dont go overboard, between 50 and 100 Thai baht is more than enough, but only in Eateries /Restaurants and your Hotel cleaning lady, dont tip everyone everywhere you go.

Learn some basic Thai, "Sawadee Krap" (greeting) etc and NEVER Wai (the hands together bowing thing) which will make you look like a real Clown. You only Wai to a Buddhist Monk (displays respect which the Thais will appreciate) and the King or his Mother if on the rare chance you see them in person.

NEVER get involved in a political discussion or about the Thai Royal family, its their country and none of our business.

Thai people love "Sanuk" meaning fun, always smile in every situation and make light of any difficulty with "Kortot" meaning "Im sorry", but never say it to a Woman (Yep its a male dominated culture and if you dont play your part then dont expect respect from anyone).
TAT.... This is Thailand.
Whenever there's a hint of difficulty say "Mai Pen Rai" which means "it doesnt matter everythings OK".

So much preparation to do but its all enjoyable and will enrich your experience.

I am sorry about your Wife and your loss. Nice that you and your adult daughter speak fluent Thai and that you have Thai family there to stay with. I will take your advice and only stay in Bangkok for a lil bit, me and the Wife are not much of city people and we are fortunate to live In rural Oregon. When we get to go we are going to go to the small rural areas of Thailand first and check out Bangkok and Pattaya, I will have to behave myself and not get in trouble with those beautiful Thai women, LOL. We have a small Donut shop in the bigger city North of us and the Thai owners are always nice to us there and give us extra Donuts all the time. The Thai woman that runs the shop is Beautiful and she has a cute Thai accent. We look forward to going to Thailand and we are going to have to wait a bit till we can go, but it is on our goal list. We have Family in New South Wales Australia that we want to stay with for a bit and are wanting to check out the area as well. From what I have seen the beaches there are nice clear Ocean, but I doubt I will get in the water I don't want to be Shark bait ! I have been told that Australia has quite a bit of Slavic people there and many of them are opal miners, I myself am half Slavic on my Fathers side, but I am an American Citizen born here. I have seen that New Zealand is Beautiful as well and we want to check that out too, maybe we can.

Oliver Hardy w/ John Wayne I think it was the Kentuckian? Oliver Hardy what were they thinking
The Kentuckian was a 1955 film staring Burt Lancaster and set in the 1820’s. Lancaster and his young son make a move from Kentucky to Texas and run into trouble along the way.

The Fighting Kentuckian was a 1949 film staring John Wayne and Oliver Hardy. This was one of only a very few times Hardy worked without Stan Laurel, due to Laurel being Ill. In the film, Hardy plays Wayne’s sidekick. Hardy and Wayne had worked together previously on stage in a touring charity production of What Price Glory? starring Wayne, Ward Bond, and Maureen O'Hara, and directed by John Ford. Wayne asked Hardy to star along side him in his next picture.

The on screen chemistry at the time seemed well received as Wayne asked Hardy to work with him in other pictures but he turned Wayne down citing his friendship and loyalty to Stan Laurel as they resumed their comedy team upon Laurel’s recovery to good health.

Attachments

• EBA83BCD-49D0-47C6-852A-678F03AE2AEF.jpeg
    EBA83BCD-49D0-47C6-852A-678F03AE2AEF.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
This is especially so in the B Westerns where the "hoglegs" are strung across the body from the waist to the opposite knee, and then tied down. Have people never tried to walk with one? Or saddled up wearing one?
Someone I know got a holster setup like this. I think it was invented by Hollywierd so actors could "skin their smokewagons" without the holster riding up with the gun. Unless you like your pants being pulled up all the time, they are completely impractical.

Life is also about loss and sorrow can bring us down if we dwell on it, I'm thankful for the wonderful years we had together and the living legacy I have through our now adult two children. Our daughter looks so much like Daeng and its haunting but in a good way as a reminder of her.

If I may give some advice, book a Sleeper compartment on the Bangkok to Chiang Mai journey very well ahead of your trip, and book a weeks accommodation in Chiang Mai (not during the burning season when smoke lies low and dense).
While in Bangkok (Krungthep in Thai) visit Wat Po Temple complex and avail yourself of an authentic Thai massage, believe me you'll float on air afterwards.
Check out the "Jim Thompson House" in Bangkok, look it up on the internet be amazed.

Beware of the Bangkok Taxi Mafia avoid them like the plague, download the Grab app in Bangkok and wherever else you go.
When you arrive in Suvarnabhumi (pronounced Suwarnaboom) airport in Bangkok take the lift down to the BTS (Train station) and do your currency exchange in the aisle leading to the platform.
Always ask the price of anything before you buy or pay, and bargain the Thais expect it; try for around 10% of the price off.
Tipping, dont go overboard, between 50 and 100 Thai baht is more than enough, but only in Eateries /Restaurants and your Hotel cleaning lady, dont tip everyone everywhere you go.

Learn some basic Thai, "Sawadee Krap" (greeting) etc and NEVER Wai (the hands together bowing thing) which will make you look like a real Clown. You only Wai to a Buddhist Monk (displays respect which the Thais will appreciate) and the King or his Mother if on the rare chance you see them in person.

NEVER get involved in a political discussion or about the Thai Royal family, its their country and none of our business.

Thai people love "Sanuk" meaning fun, always smile in every situation and make light of any difficulty with "Kortot" meaning "Im sorry", but never say it to a Woman (Yep its a male dominated culture and if you dont play your part then dont expect respect from anyone).
TAT.... This is Thailand.
Whenever there's a hint of difficulty say "Mai Pen Rai" which means "it doesnt matter everythings OK".

So much preparation to do but its all enjoyable and will enrich your experience.
That sounds reasonable enough and Thank You for taking the time to get back at me. I have seen You Tube vids about Thailand and the Thai people seem friendly and it's a beautiful tropical getaway. I appreciate you letting me know what to do and not to do, I would rather here it from someone who knows through experience than a You Tube video. Now I just need a lil more time to get there.

Oliver Hardy sounds like he was a good man sticking by his partner Stan.
Stan Laurel was equally loyal to his partner Ollie. Although those that knew them both say they were close friends, they only occasionally socialized together but the two men rarely worked apart.
Stan Laurel was devastated by Ollie’s death. During those last years of his life he continued to socialize with his fans, but he refused to perform on stage or act in another film from then on despite many offers as he had no interest in working without Hardy, turning down every offer he was given for a public appearance. He did continue to work on new Laurel and Hardy routines up until the time of his own death.

I think lots of / most movies depicting BP weapons have "slow" parts and good parts. The Director's Cut of The Last of the Mohicans is the best version, with the extra 20 minutes of Siege on Ft William Henry

Best, I'd have to say -
Mathew McConaughey sold me as the "seasoned Confederate soldier" in the battle scenes of Free State of Jones.

Despite being typecast as Ferris Bueller, Mathew Broderick was good as Col Shaw in Glory, and also despite being 30 years old, the action scenes hold up.

Jeff Daniels in Gettysburg

I'm just going to have to say that Martin Sheen was terrible as Lee in Gettysburg. It's like he just kinda phoned it in.

Best:
Fess Parker as Crockett and Jeff York as Mike Fink in the Disney series. they had me wanting a firelock since childhood.

Worst:
DiCaprio in The Revenant, bought it out of the bargain bin at wally world last week and watched it for the first time, barely made it through it.

Latest posts

Back