• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tent Decision help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to laugh at the "very long lumber" comment. I'm on my third tipi since 1987. 18' tipi using 18 poles, 26-28 feet long hauled up to 1000 miles (one way) with an ancient GMC pickup truck, no trailer.

I will be 73 if I make it to the end of the year. I have to admit I use my 12' PP Hunter nowadays for anything less than 7 days. That single pole helps me get to my feet to answer many calls of nature during the night.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies, and certainly beats the alternative. ;)
When I was a younger man and doing this about the same time frame as you, I watch people putting up Tipis. I said that's cool, but do you really want to go through that much trouble? Nope, a wall tent is much, much easier.

You want neither.

Even a monster wedge still has a very sharp angle to the sides. This is great to shield men from bad weather while they sleep. The design was not meant for "living in" (imho) I own two wedges, and they just aren't meant for that.

A wall tent is great, but not all events like wall tents, and as I have often helped my physically challenged friends to set up their wall tents, they are slow to put up, and take a lot of hardware, and such..., and are not really meant for one guy to set up. These were the stereo typical "hunting camp tents", but there was and is a better design, for those wanting simplicity in transport and setting up.

You Want a Double Bell Wedge Tent, ..., This below is with the "awning door" which saves on not buying an awning, but allows folks to see into the tent so you have to squirrel away any modern stuff. Mine has a different door, and I use an awning too...,

View attachment 233320

This door is better for privacy..., this is what I have

View attachment 233322

This canopy is elaborate, and a plain canopy will work...

.View attachment 233321

Here is a plain canopy with a rounded door..

View attachment 233323

Most of the above photos are on the smallest version of the tents. Mine came from Tentsmiths, but they are rather expensive these days. Panther Primitive sells them as "medieval tents" but they were used up into the ACW, and they are reasonably priced. I'd get the 12 x 20 size. I can put this up all by myself with one ridge pole and pairs of poles on the ends to maximize interior space. The trick is to configure the poles like this....

View attachment 233324

Last but not least the shape makes for very very good resistance to windy storm weather, the bigger the walls on a walled tent the more "sails" you present to the wind, and ...,the double-bell tent is absolutely a correct tent for a historic event. I regularly use mine for camping for five or more days.

LD
thank you it looks very interesting
Jim

Wall tent with a stove jack, can't go wrong plenty of room and warm and dry.
Nit Wit
Well sort of, as I moved through the rendezvous scene bigger would be better got a panther 10x16 with four ft walls, shove jack and all.
My Sargent's tent I could put up by myself. always had to ask for help with the bigger one.

Do you have any pictures of it set up?
Not his, FWIW this is a Panther 10x12 wall tent with a 5’ wall and a fly suspended over the top (due to pending snow) in VT.

That 10x10 @ $300 is a STEAL! I also think that Panther Primitives make the best tents out there!

736BA629-A7AF-48E1-A291-576BDB0DB6DE.jpeg

F2FA9ABA-6918-4E06-9825-654EA0020414.jpeg

Any thought or opinions on which would be a better choice.
For those extended stays, The Wall tent.
My experience has been with a 9x9 wedge, a 12x12 single pole and a 9x12 wall tent.
When using cots, the height of them from the ground takes floor space away from the wedge, an 11" bell back is plenty long but you'll have this skinny patch between the cots.
The wall tent gives the room to have the cot's up against the wall, and plenty of room to stack gear in corners.
The wall requires more poles and ropes to transport, but is so much nicer to just step in the door and grab something without having to stoop over to reach.

Whichever one, be sure to get as large an awning as possible, I love my 14x16, the tent is the bedroom and storage, the awning is the living room and kitchen.
If your going to a juried events be sure to add a smoke-hole/chimney access, otherwise most folks are using propane.
I can get that 9x12 set up pretty quick in bad weather by myself,, but the whole rig of tent and awning takes about 3hrs for the long-term stability,
,with even a strong boy as a helper you can cut that time in half. (if you can get the cell phone out of his hand!)
HPIM0081.JPG

I used a Coleman folding cot that worked well, easy to disguise it with a wool trade or camp blanket. Beats being on the ground.
I am about to turn 70 years old. I have always slept on the ground until last year. I did buy a small cot and I cover it with Hudson Bay blankets to disguise it. I agree with you, sleeping on a cot is MUCH more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

I did buy a small cot and I cover it with Hudson Bay blankets to disguise it.
Why disguise the cot?
Is there a reason someone should be looking at how you sleep?
I'm 65, and have been sleeping on a big boy's x-frame cot for 15yrs, with "sleeping bag's" and heaters,, nobody has been invited inside my tent to see how I sleep in all that time.
I respect how my ancestors lived, but I also understand that I didn't live in those times.
40yrs on concrete and factory work, doesn't mean I lived sleeping on the ground, or that I "should" sleep on the ground to prove something.
I can, but come Monday morning,, when I have to go back to it,, the cot matters,,
Who are ya kidding?

Last edited:
Why disguise the cot?
Some events require even an X legged cot to be covered IF, and only IF, the tent owner is going to leave a door wide open..., as all modern stuff is required to be out of sight. My 2.5 gallon water jug rests in a barrel, my polyethylene garbage bag sits in a burlap sack, my salt & pepper containers are glass bottles with corks even though I buy the stuff in cardboard dispensers with twistable lids.

LD

We use military cots in both a wall and wedge, The wall has more space with the cots, but even in a larger wedge there's no problem, the cots offer space under them to store items and with a blanket over the cot it hides things rather nice, have done a few events that were juried and never had a problem, years back panther had cot mattresses, they are very nice. We run a heavy camp at events and enjoy the extra perks. One can be historically correct with a bit of planning. and yes, do use a fly for an outdoor space attached to the tent.

Why disguise the cot?
I'm 65, and have been sleeping on a big boy's x-frame cot for 15yrs, with "sleeping bag's" and heaters,, nobody has been invited inside my tent to see how I sleep in all that time.
I respect how my ancestors lived, but I also understand that I didn't live in those times.
40yrs on concrete and factory work, doesn't mean I lived sleeping on the ground, or that I "should" sleep on the ground to prove something.
I can, but come Monday morning,, when I have to go back to it,, the cot matters,,
Who are ya kidding?
You’re there to have fun and there is no reason to make an event a chore.
I probably will be getting a cot as my teeth are getting long, but have always slept on the ground.
I just broke down and got a camp chair two years ago.
The reason to cover is only if you open your camp.
I leave my doors open and it forces me to be tidy.
What’s in your lodge is your own business but any convenience item need be covered if visible through the day

Why disguise the cot?
Who are ya kidding?
Some Rendezvous can be picky about the gear that is used. The ones I have attended want your gear to be period correct. Modern things can be used if they are covered. Sometimes I have the tent flaps open, and anyone can see inside my tent. That is why I covered my modern cot. --- I have never invited anyone to come inside my tent to see how I sleep. That sounds creepy. Don't be so quick to judge without knowing the facts.

Sometimes I have the tent flaps open, and anyone can see inside my tent.
I know about vous` etiquette.
I just never open my flaps for people to look in.
Is there something modern in my photo that's not covered?
(Dissect it, there's plenty of flaws)
There are things in my photo that are modern,, but they are covered.
My query was, Why open the flaps and have too cover something that's hidden by leaving the flaps closed?
I don't get it?

I attend mostly buck-skinner camps where tin cup rules and prudence prevails, that much I understand. But those Juried events like the glorious AMM can kiss my toody.
What? Membership is start a fire, pack a horse, paddle a canoe, shoot and tan the hide of a rabbit, stitch a moccasin and wave a greeting?
All that as they load their gear and drive away in an Escalade?
That stuff ain't in my bag of tricks,,all that's been done,, I just don't have the Cadillac. (Daddy never was,,)

Last edited:
My query was, Why open the flaps and have too cover something that's hidden by leaving the flaps closed?
I don't get it?

I attend mostly buck-skinner camps where tin cup rules and prudence prevails, that much I understand. But those Juried events like the glorious AMM can kiss my toody.
What? Membership is start a fire, pack a horse, paddle a canoe, shoot and tan the hide of a rabbit, stitch a moccasin and wave a greeting?
That stuff ain't in my bag of tricks,,all that's been done,, I just don't have the Cadillac. (Daddy never was,,)
If I want my tent flaps open or closed is my business.

I don't get it?

What’s in your lodge is your own business. None of us are 100% authentic, even AMM. We can’t do it today.
When I go I want to do it right, I even make sure to light my pipe correctly. I try to eat authentic style food.
I do hate to see the glow of an electric light even inside a tent at night.
However what I do is for me and my own sense of fun. I have too many beams in my eye to worry about the mote in someone else’s

Latest posts

Back