• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tent Decision help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimkennedy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Im currently in the market for a new tent. I have a 12x12 pyramid. But would like something more period correct.
I need to be able to camp 2 people on cots with all their gear shooting supplies guns, and coolers for 7-10 days. Im looking at a Panther Monster wedge 10'wide x 11' 2'long x 8'tall with a 60"bell door in both ends. Or a Panther wall 10'wide x 12'long 8'4"peak 4'walls door in both ends. Any thought or opinions on which would be a better choice. Pros and Cons would be appreciated. Or other ideas. I attend mountain man rendezvous.
thanks Jim

If there is a question there, you have answered it for yourself. I had a PP 12x12 one poler also. Despite some naysayers, they do go way back in history and are period correct for our era of interest(s).
Thanks for your reply
I was asking opinions as to which of the two word work better the wedge or the wall and pros and cons of each
thanks

I'm pretty sure a short wall tent would get you by. I've had both 4 ft wall tents and 2ft wall tents and prefer the shorter ones due to the length of the side poles, you can get by without side poles on a 2-footer but 4 feet gets pretty sloppy.
thanks you for your advise
Jim

Im currently in the market for a new tent. I have a 12x12 pyramid. But would like something more period correct.
I need to be able to camp 2 people on cots with all their gear shooting supplies guns, and coolers for 7-10 days. Im looking at a Panther Monster wedge 10'wide x 11' 2'long x 8'tall with a 60"bell door in both ends. Or a Panther wall 10'wide x 12'long 8'4"peak 4'walls door in both ends. Any thought or opinions on which would be a better choice. Pros and Cons would be appreciated. Or other ideas. I attend mountain man rendezvous.
thanks Jim
What’s your time frame. A wall tent thought out of place for the eighteenth century, great for nineteenth. Marquee, and some come small bridge both times
A double bell wedge also covers a lot of eras
The one pole circular tent goes back to the Middle Ages and up to Crimean war.
@Rifleman1776 is right, pyramids ain’t nothing new, but you can’t argue with juries or just plain sticky events. The same with bakers, Cook had them in the south seas in 1776, but via make believe they aren’t accepted at all events.
I have a one person wedge, not because I think it’s most correct but because it’s accepted everywhere every time

What’s your time frame. A wall tent thought out of place for the eighteenth century, great for nineteenth. Marquee, and some come small bridge both times
A double bell wedge also covers a lot of eras
The one pole circular tent goes back to the Middle Ages and up to Crimean war.
@Rifleman1776 is right, pyramids ain’t nothing new, but you can’t argue with juries or just plain sticky events. The same with bakers, Cook had them in the south seas in 1776, but via make believe they aren’t accepted at all events.
I have a one person wedge, not because I think it’s most correct but because it’s accepted everywhere every time
My time frame is 1820-1840
Thanks for the advise
Jim

I only have canvas tent experience with my Panther Mini Wall but really like it. I can set it up and take it down by myself and it is very comfortable and "just right" size wise. I see other people using this same tent at Rendezvous and sleeping two without difficulty. I can certainly see the appeal of the taller wall tents but at the end (or beginning) of the day you have to handle and store the thing and "size does matter".

Picture of my camp set up here: My abode for the next few days

Last edited:
I'd go with the wall tent. lower walls seem to be what is seen in a lot of paintings.
And...for whatever it is worth...A cot makes life as comfortable as at home but what would be great is a low cot closer to the ground than the typical army cot. Anyone have any plans? The lower cot would make a lower wall- wall tent better.

thanks Jim
I hope you're prepared for hauling some very long lumber. If not, I'd go with Panther Primitives options. They have steel sleeves to attach to the tent poles, allowing you to cut the poles in half. Just be sure to label your poles for proper installation.

Im looking at a Panther Monster wedge 10'wide x 11' 2'long x 8'tall with a 60"bell door in both ends. Or a Panther wall 10'wide x 12'long 8'4"peak 4'walls door in both ends.
I hope you're prepared for hauling some very long lumber. If not, I'd go with Panther Primitives options. They have steel sleeves to attach to the tent poles, allowing you to cut the poles in half. Just be sure to label your poles for proper installation.
Had to laugh at the "very long lumber" comment. I'm on my third tipi since 1987. 18' tipi using 18 poles, 26-28 feet long hauled up to 1000 miles (one way) with an ancient GMC pickup truck, no trailer.

I will be 73 if I make it to the end of the year. I have to admit I use my 12' PP Hunter nowadays for anything less than 7 days. That single pole helps me get to my feet to answer many calls of nature during the night.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies, and certainly beats the alternative. ;)

Last edited:
thanks Jim
Where do you live? I have a 12x14 with 5 foot side walls and stove hole, 8 foot peak, does on both ends with screening, 15 foot fly with stove hole, poles, 3 dog stove, and stakes. Don Strinz maker.

I’ve been in some hellacious storms and the tent has never failed me.

Not having a reference I purchased the “tall “ wall tent from Blockade Runner. Add in poles and ropes then a dining fly and things get expensive. Fit two with plenty of room and easily add a couple of kids

Latest posts

Back