• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tent Decision help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go with the wall tent. lower walls seem to be what is seen in a lot of paintings.
And...for whatever it is worth...A cot makes life as comfortable as at home but what would be great is a low cot closer to the ground than the typical army cot. Anyone have any plans? The lower cot would make a lower wall- wall tent better.

Walmart has a great folding cot that is only about 8” high.

What’s your time frame. A wall tent thought out of place for the eighteenth century, great for nineteenth. Marquee, and some come small bridge both times
A double bell wedge also covers a lot of eras
The one pole circular tent goes back to the Middle Ages and up to Crimean war.
@Rifleman1776 is right, pyramids ain’t nothing new, but you can’t argue with juries or just plain sticky events. The same with bakers, Cook had them in the south seas in 1776, but via make believe they aren’t accepted at all events.
I have a one person wedge, not because I think it’s most correct but because it’s accepted everywhere every time
Yep. I never went to a juried event because I didn't want to risk being turned away at the gate after a six hour drive because of some ultra-picky detail.

Got a link? I'm interested!
Ozark Trail @ WallyWorld, $60. Link = Robot or human?

2C3D2756-A76B-48CF-B27F-138CF8A20F6D.jpeg

Ozark Trail @ WallyWorld, $60. Link = Robot or human?

View attachment 233187
Looked that up as soon as I saw this post. I’ve been wishing for some years for a cot I could fit in a small wedge
Low and behold
But ….. did you see it causes cancer if used in California 😂
Luckily I don’t plan on going to the Peoples democratic Republic of California

I only have canvas tent experience with my Panther Mini Wall but really like it. I can set it up and take it down by myself and it is very comfortable and "just right" size wise. I see other people using this same tent at Rendezvous and sleeping two without difficulty. I can certainly see the appeal of the taller wall tents but at the end (or beginning) of the day you have to handle and store the thing and "size does matter".

Picture of my camp set up here: My abode for the next few days
thank you

Where do you live? I have a 12x14 with 5 foot side walls and stove hole, 8 foot peak, does on both ends with screening, 15 foot fly with stove hole, poles, 3 dog stove, and stakes. Don Strinz maker.

I’ve been in some hellacious storms and the tent has never failed me.
Thanks for the advise I live in northwest Kansas (Goodland) My current tent is a Strinz
Jim

Where do you live? I have a 12x14 with 5 foot side walls and stove hole, 8 foot peak, does on both ends with screening, 15 foot fly with stove hole, poles, 3 dog stove, and stakes. Don Strinz maker.

I’ve been in some hellacious storms and the tent has never failed me.
Thank you for the advise
Live in Northwest Kansas (Goodland) My current tent is a Strinz

Many western themed rendezvous allow pyramid tents but for all those who claim they are period correct for pre-1840 encampments, none can come up with definitive documentation. "Prairie tipis" and miner's one pole pyramids have four flat walls - not conical. Miner's tents are post 1840 - think forty-niners and Clementine. Alfred Jacob Miller has paintings of Sir William Drummond Stewart's large blue and white striped wedge tent. A Persian rug on the floor and other amenities atypical of most trappers and traders. Wall tents were used to trade out of and if you were a mountain man with an Indian wife you might stay in a tipi. A small tipi was used by a group of trappers in Bridger's brigade sans Indian wife. Between the double door wall tent and bell wedge tent, the wall tent would be easier to get in and out of. Have not seen old period paintings of wedge tents with stove jacks. Modern cots and wood stoves certainly make camping more comfortable. Have owned 6 tipis - all 18 foot and lived in them full time for 12 1/2 years and then the remainder of 27 years of tent living in wall tents. Have a 12 x 12 Strinz pyramid on last legs but good for base camp for hunting and a blue and white striped Panther Primitive bell backed wedge for serious re enacting at vetted encampments where AMM members are jurors. It does get cold and windy in Goodland and eastern Colorado and western Kansas recently had softball size hail and 60 plus mile per hour winds. For high winds tipis hold up best.

Im currently in the market for a new tent. I have a 12x12 pyramid. But would like something more period correct.
I need to be able to camp 2 people on cots with all their gear shooting supplies guns, and coolers for 7-10 days. Im looking at a Panther Monster wedge 10'wide x 11' 2'long x 8'tall with a 60"bell door in both ends. Or a Panther wall 10'wide x 12'long 8'4"peak 4'walls door in both ends. Any thought or opinions on which would be a better choice. Pros and Cons would be appreciated. Or other ideas. I attend mountain man rendezvous.
thanks Jim

You want neither.

Even a monster wedge still has a very sharp angle to the sides. This is great to shield men from bad weather while they sleep. The design was not meant for "living in" (imho) I own two wedges, and they just aren't meant for that.

A wall tent is great, but not all events like wall tents, and as I have often helped my physically challenged friends to set up their wall tents, they are slow to put up, and take a lot of hardware, and such..., and are not really meant for one guy to set up. These were the stereo typical "hunting camp tents", but there was and is a better design, for those wanting simplicity in transport and setting up.

You Want a Double Bell Wedge Tent, ..., This below is with the "awning door" which saves on not buying an awning, but allows folks to see into the tent so you have to squirrel away any modern stuff. Mine has a different door, and I use an awning too...,

Double Bell French Door.JPG

This door is better for privacy..., this is what I have

Double Bell Slit Door.jpg

This canopy is elaborate, and a plain canopy will work...

Double Bell Medieval Door and awning.JPG

Here is a plain canopy with a rounded door..

Double Bell with Extra Canopy.jpg

Most of the above photos are on the smallest version of the tents. Mine came from Tentsmiths, but they are rather expensive these days. Panther Primitive sells them as "medieval tents" but they were used up into the ACW, and they are reasonably priced. I'd get the 12 x 20 size. I can put this up all by myself with one ridge pole and pairs of poles on the ends to maximize interior space. The trick is to configure the poles like this....

DOUBLE BELL BEST tent pole configuration.jpg

Last but not least the shape makes for very very good resistance to windy storm weather, the bigger the walls on a walled tent the more "sails" you present to the wind, and ...,the double-bell tent is absolutely a correct tent for a historic event. I regularly use mine for camping for five or more days.

LD

Back