• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finishing A Fowler Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job on the lock patch! I passed on that one because of the funky looking barrel, turns out it was correct after all, live and learn.

Great Job on the whole project.
Thanks Eric! If I ever have to patch another one, my lesson on this one is not to flush-finish the patched section with a 3M pad, as it got into the crack/joint and rounded it a little. Next time I will use just 220 grit paper to level and then burnish the joining parts with a small wooden dowel. I believe that will leave it far less seamless.
I really appreciate your suggestions.
-Bob

A beautiful job on the gun Bob, the wood has a great color, no matter what kind it is. The length of that barrel is going to be a one of a kind these days, congratulations on a great build.
A beautiful job on the gun Bob, the wood has a great color, no matter what kind it is. The length of that barrel is going to be a one of a kind these days, congratulations on a great build.
Thanks friend! For its length the gun points very well, with great sight picture with that rear sight, and that barrel is very light. I wish I knew who made it.

I really, really like the design of that barrel. Does anybody make anything similar to this style? Well done indeed Pathfinder!
I can see that the barrel was hand filed both at the breech and the muzzle. I guess if you can get a long smoothbore barrel it could be done by someone with skills. Dave Person has certainly done a fine job with this style of muzzle on his Hill Fowler.

Hey Bob, can I ask a question about the rear sight. I am new to fowlers, and am in the middle of a Chambers PA Fowler build. I have seen, and had planned a shallow filed groove for a rear sighting reference. I had never seen that brass on lay before, and it is well shown in your 7th photo.
Questions: Did you do the onlay or did Mr Callahan? Is it just soldered to the tang? Is it period correct in your studies, or have you seen it on other Fowler’s?
Any thoughts on the utility of such a pronounced rear sight?
Thanks
Rick

Hey Bob, can I ask a question about the rear sight. I am new to fowlers, and am in the middle of a Chambers PA Fowler build. I have seen, and had planned a shallow filed groove for a rear sighting reference. I had never seen that brass on lay before, and it is well shown in your 7th photo.
Questions: Did you do the onlay or did Mr Callahan? Is it just soldered to the tang? Is it period correct in your studies, or have you seen it on other Fowler’s?
Any thoughts on the utility of such a pronounced rear sight?
Thanks
Rick
Hi Rick- great questions. Well, I am guessing that Gallaghan added the brass rear sight onto the barrel tang, and it looks to be soldered on. I haven’t yet shot a load of shot or ball yet until my utility rod/range rod arrives in a couple days (I don’t want to be unable to pull a ball or wadding should I need to.)
As to period correctness, I just don’t know. But it sits well and looks like it belongs there!
I have seen some fowlers with a big hump at the breech tang where a sighting groove had been filed in quite deeply. Same idea here.
This one is wide enough that I can swing-aim the gun while keeping a good sight picture. In my consideration, I think it is an excellent feature. Just need to be careful because with it’s length I nearly broke our display cabinet🙄

Oct. 6, 2023

Hi folks,

I thought it would be interesting to post what I will be doing with an old, unfinished Fowler build that I just bought yesterday. This gun was started years ago (by someone named Callaghan in New Milford) and will be mine to finish up, though with some challenges!
A little bit about this gun;
~It is long! The Fowler is some 5'8" from the brass, engraved and signed butt-plate to the muzzle.
~It has a smoothbore barrel of .69 caliber and measured 51" in length. The barrel is tapered round with octagonal fluting and turned rings at the muzzle, which is really cool.
~The ramrod has a turned horn tip and a nice steel threaded fitting at the bottom.
~Four ramrod pipes with the front pipe coned shaped; a very nice feature.
~The butt plate is 1- 7/8" wide and 4- 1/2 " high, with a return measuring 5".
~The one-piece stock is highly figured Curly Maple. The barrel, pipes and butt plate are all inlet with a nice tight looking fit (I have not removed any mountings as yet).
~The lock plate mortise (not the internals, though) and side plate are mortised out for a lock plate that measures 5-1/5 x 1”.

Now the first challenge, and it’s a big one; I can find no lock of those dimensions that would ever fit in the carved mortise and have the pan line-up with the touch-hole area (as yet undrilled). The face of the breech plug is 5/8” into the barrel. As such, any lock template that I have photo-imposed onto the lock mortise places the pan almost at the end of the barrel breech!

Because the tapered barrel (and flared tang) is already inlet, moving the barrel rearward isn’t an option I will even consider. Using a smaller lock and setting it forward into the mortise will not work either. What a mess.

As I thought about it more last night I considered one option – how about use a larger lock? If I set it in at the rear of the mortise and enlarge the mortise at the frizzen spring area, the pan and touch-hole may align. So, I made a plate stencil of my large Kibler lock (6” x 1”) and placed it over the fowler mortise. A good fit at the back 2/3rds! Though the touch-hole would be about 1/8” forward of center-of-pan, that is something I can modify slightly by grinding the front of the pan a bit. OK- that is promising.

Now, with using a longer lock than what the gun is carved for, I have to consider the stock around the lock mortise. Mr. Callaghan had already not only cut out the plate mortise, but he also shaped the molding area around the mortise. This means I will need to cut (file) away about 1” of wood at the feather-spring area, deep enough to match the rounded section there, cut a patch of Maple and glue in place. On both sides.

This appears to be my method of approach to the challenge. It seems to be a workable solution, though it’s in such a highly visible area, making and blending a matching patch will take some doing.

So, unless I discover a lock with a really long hammer throw and short feather spring area, I will move on with this plan.

I will try to update as I go along. If this works, I think it will be a terrific and unique New England (?) Fowler. Attached are some photos of what I will be working on.
Pathfinder fellow Tar Heel, this Fowler is cool. Just had a burst of artistic GENIUS? How about using Teakwood or Dark Walnut inlay as a motif and then fill the lock space with the same wood. This might look KaPow with the contrasting colors around a smaller Lock that met touch hole. Massive undertaking but you are the tar that sticks with it till the finished product is finally realized.

Latest posts

Back