• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Hunting Attire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m wondering what everyone wears when they go squirrel hunting. When I was a kid, I would go all out with my light weight camo bibs and t shirt, hat, there were a few time when I even painted my face :)

I’ve since moved into either plaid flannels and jeans or a camo T-shirt and jeans.

I’m sure there’s a wide range of opinions, but just curious what everyone wears when they are out chasing squirrels with a muzzleloader.

Weather depending I have a heavy hand sewn wool coat that I use. Fleece lined blue jeans are nice when I’m out for the day. Again it’s all dependant on the weather
Whatever I wear I spray it with permethrin, don’t want tick bites thank you.

IMG_9021.jpeg

Many years ago as a kid in Western Arkansas I'd usually wear faded overalls and an old OD Green "Pickle suit" Army surplus shirt. Sometimes other camo clothes. I killed scores of gray and fox squirrels in my teenaged years with unmentionable rifles and less frequently with shotgun. I was in the woods a lot back then. These days I wear a pair of Kaki/bark colored wrangler cargo pants and coyote tan, Army brown, or camo long-sleeve tshirts.

I really need to invest in a traditional muzzloading squirrel getter.... or two...

As a kid in the late seventies I wore whatever I got off the school bus with. Run in the house, throw the books down, grab a biscuit off the stove, my rifle, then out the door into the woods. No special clothing or gear. Just a gun, adequate ammo supply, and my pocket knife. Now not much different. Just no school bus. When I do wear camo it isn't to hide me from animals. It is to hide me from nosey people.

+1 @WonkyEye and the blaze orange, PA also. When I get back home to Illinois to hunt in August, I wear some light weight camo clothes, and a head net for skeeters. When hunting the bottoms I sit more than still hunt. When I lived there in my younger years I wore military surplus woodland camp BDUs. Nice big side pockets to put squirrels in.

+1 @WonkyEye and the blaze orange, PA also. When I get back home to Illinois to hunt in August, I wear some light weight camo clothes, and a head net for skeeters. When hunting the bottoms I sit more than still hunt. When I lived there in my younger years I wore military surplus woodland camp BDUs. Nice big side pockets to put squirrels in.
Yup, I have become a big fan of camo cargo pants for squirrel hunting with my Crockett Squirrel Rifle. Those extra pockets makes it possible for far fewer movements when reloading in the woods. I carry premeasured powder in lab tubes in one pocket, a loaded up loading block in another pocket and capper in another. Truth be known, I still have room for cleaning patches and damp patches in another pocket. I keep those in small zip lock lunch baggies. Also, not all of my camo tee-shirts have pockets on them but some do. I prefer to put the empty lab tubes in there until I accumulate 3-4. At that time I put them into my possibles bag and grab 3-4 full ones to go back into one of my paints pockets.

The name of the game is stealth and slow with as few movements as possible whenever this ole boy is in the woods.

Those extra pockets makes it possible for far fewer movements when reloading in the woods.
What's the technique for reloading while sitting? I could figure it out with my current, short 26" t/c Hawken if I used a ball/patch that wasn't as tight, but I'm wondering how you even get the powder down a 44" barrel without standing

Squirrels can see in 3D. Since they jump from branch to branch, they developed that through the ages. I think they can see colors too but am not sure. Just in case they can, I wear camo when squirrel hunting. But I cheat. I use a muzzleloading 12 ga. SxS.

What's the technique for reloading while sitting? I could figure it out with my current, short 26" t/c Hawken if I used a ball/patch that wasn't as tight, but I'm wondering how you even get the powder down a 44" barrel without standing
Like the wise old Indian chief said...."Don't know". Never shot a rifle with a barrel that long. In terms of sitting and loading, I don't do that either. I most always stand next to a tree when shooting at a squirrel and/or reloading. I seldom ever sit in the woods unless I'm taking a break. Last year I did reload once while laying back on a steep hillside.

Back