• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade Squirrel Skinning Stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grimord, I think you meant to say you step on the tail, instead of the head? Correct me if I am wrong but the 'Step On' method I researched shows the tail was stepped on after making the initial incisions as you described, and then by pulling upwards on the hind feet the skin peals up the body nice and slick. I was shown as a boy the cut across the back and pull with the fingers both ways, but was never satisfied with the process and the amount of fur stuck to the meat. Thus, when seeing the Step on Tail style I studied it heavily. Then I found out that these jigs allow us to do the same but at eye level. Rather than stepping on the tail, it is inserted into the jig to hold while the hind legs are pulled downward. I have more feel for the process and don't tear the tail off nearly as often.

I've been asked to share the jig I made up earlier this year. Actually, I cut out two different styles to try. They worked well enough, but improvements were needed. The next skinning jig I make will slightly be different based on what I've learned. This is that new and improved design, better to grip the tail and hang onto the head in the middle slots/s.
Revised Pattern.jpg

The side openings are to grab the hind legs for prepping the initial cuts. The 1/4" wide lower middle slot grips the tail when pulling on the legs. The 3/4" middle slot is to slip the head into when pulling the last of the hide off the back legs that often get left on (not always but quite common). I suppose the tail could be wedged into one of the leg slots, but because I hang this from a branch in the woods it would create an uneven pull, so I kept the tail holding opening in the middle of the jig for ease of use.

Grimord, I think you meant to say you step on the tail, instead of the head? Correct me if I am wrong but the 'Step On' method I researched shows the tail was stepped on after making the initial incisions as you described, and then by pulling upwards on the hind feet the skin peals up the body nice and slick. I was shown as a boy the cut across the back and pull with the fingers both ways, but was never satisfied with the process and the amount of fur stuck to the meat. Thus, when seeing the Step on Tail style I studied it heavily. Then I found out that these jigs allow us to do the same but at eye level. Rather than stepping on the tail, it is inserted into the jig to hold while the hind legs are pulled downward. I have more feel for the process and don't tear the tail off nearly as often.

I've been asked to share the jig I made up earlier this year. Actually, I cut out two different styles to try. They worked well enough, but improvements were needed. The next skinning jig I make will slightly be different based on what I've learned. This is that new and improved design, better to grip the tail and hang onto the head in the middle slots/s.
View attachment 252526

The side openings are to grab the hind legs for prepping the initial cuts. The 1/4" wide lower middle slot grips the tail when pulling on the legs. The 3/4" middle slot is to slip the head into when pulling the last of the hide off the back legs that often get left on (not always but quite common). I suppose the tail could be wedged into one of the leg slots, but because I hang this from a branch in the woods it would create an uneven pull, so I kept the tail holding opening in the middle of the jig for ease of use.
You are correct, I messed up the procedure. Stepping on the tail is the correct way for skinning.

Latest posts

Back