• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrods, Hunting, other than wood ....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the thing..........

If I were going on the hunt of a lifetime I would not take another ramrod, because I DON"T break ramrods, I don't break them when loading and I have them in the gun at other times so I don't sit on them.

And if I got talked into taking one by the guide insisting that I take one.......it would be a hickory rod, because that is what I use.

I thought this was a traditional ML forum???

Ok,
Yes, I think for the most part the people on the forum tend to be "traditional;". That does not mean they have to be stupid! Not everyone is so perfect as you are, to never make a mistake or have anything bad happen to them, LOL, tell us how you walk on water next. thanks

I’d question the need for a delran rod. When I started shooting black powder I, as most people bought powder one or two pounds at a time. After a few years of hunting and competition the cost saving of buying by the case became clear. The boxes that powder comes in are quite stout so I started saving them. I have three laying around and I’m sure there was two or three that are gone. The point is I have yet to break a wooden ram rod. How you use one is more important than the material.
Agree for the most part....but there is a reason there is a market for the non wood rods......

Out of fear of breaking the wooden rod that came with the TC Hawkin 50 cal that I purchased recently I made a rod from a 22/64th aluminum arrow shaft. It seems to be stronger than the wooden one and fits perfectly on the rifle. It seems pretty hard to push the maxi balls I'm planning to use for elk hunting down the bore.

I have one delrin but I find it to be a bit slippery.

@ETipp I've thought about the aluminum and for the exact same reasons you considered. I have a steel rod on A gpr but it adds a lot of weight. Wonder what can be done to aluminum to get away from the brightness 🌞🤔?
I made a ram rod out a 22/64 aluminum camo arrow shaft. It's stronger and lighter than the wooden one that came on my TC Hawkin 50 cal. and fits perfectly on the rifle.

My first rifle was a tc 50 Hawken. It had a 15/16 rod with 3/8 tip attachments. Used it for 5 or so years. I think I still have it. Only reason I changed was a 3/8 looked better.

You must mean 5/16... On the first maxi ball that I loaded I broke the hardwood dowel of my homemade starter then used my aluminum bench rod to push it down the rest of the way. That got me thinking if I was out hunting I should have a stronger ram rod on the rifle as the wooden one flexed easily and might break if I was in a hurry to load. The replacement rods were supposed to be 11/32 ... I had some old 2216 arrows (that's 22/64 diameter and 0.016 wall thickness) with an insert that should work okay... I have not tried it yet.

I have a shotgun with no ramrod. It is a British gun that was made for a small statured person to shoot driven game, and they would have a loader with them with a loading rod. Anyway, I use it for woodcock and quail hunting. I have a collapsible "kevlar" ramrod, which I think is a graphite composite really, like a quality fishing rod material. Anyway, I keep it in my game bag and use it to load in the field and it works great.

I always take an extra ramrod hunting. Always. Depending on the hunt it’s either in the truck if it’s a hunt camp or packed in taped to a trekking pole with two inch wide electrical tape completely. Never even know it’s there, but it’s there in the almost nonexistent circumstance I need it. I’ve seen too much stuff in my life go sideways unexpectedly to not have one in my kit. I have never needed it but what is a few ounces on a trekking pole. Oh and the one that’s taped in is a delrin ramrod fit to the gun I am taking. I even made one for the .36 SMR I made for myself.

I always take an extra ramrod hunting. Always. Depending on the hunt it’s either in the truck if it’s a hunt camp or packed in taped to a trekking pole with two inch wide electrical tape completely. Never even know it’s there, but it’s there in the almost nonexistent circumstance I need it. I’ve seen too much stuff in my life go sideways unexpectedly to not have one in my kit. I have never needed it but what is a few ounces on a trekking pole. Oh and the one that’s taped in is a delrin ramrod fit to the gun I am taking. I even made one for the .36 SMR I made for myself.
That’s a wise thing to do. Wouldn’t have worked for me due to how light pack, but for most people that packs heavier it should work out great.

My main concern was perhaps putting a broken ram rod through my hand, considering being alone and sometimes quite a way back up in the mountains.

I bought a nice brass one from October Country. Works great, looks awesome on the rifle, you just have to have a double dose of Wheaties for breakfast to carry your rifle around. Went back to a good hickory one and it works just fine.
I have a brass range rod I ordered from October Country. It’s solid and well made.

Here is the thing..........

If I were going on the hunt of a lifetime I would not take another ramrod, because I DON"T break ramrods, I don't break them when loading and I have them in the gun at other times so I don't sit on them.

And if I got talked into taking one by the guide insisting that I take one.......it would be a hickory rod, because that is what I use.

I thought this was a traditional ML forum???

Ok,
I’m all for anyone doing anything they want. So you can use your hickory rods and no eye or ear protection and be as traditional as you want.

While I have ramrods of all types I only use Hickory rods when in the field because i will probably only be shooting 1-3 times. I use "range" rods when at the range. it has nothing to do with knowing how to use a wooden rod. It is not rocket science, and many of us know exactly how to use one but still choose to use a different rod on the range etc. One problem today is finding a quality Hickory rod. They are not easy to come by IMHO. Yes, there are hickory rods for sale but that does not mean they are "good" ones, straight grained, no knots or other failure points etc. So, if you have a good one, many of us tend to save it for when we are a field and use other rods when we are at the range. If you have never fallen, tripped etc when you are in the woods/field then you have not been in the field much. It is easy to break a wooden rod, even when you are doing everything properly. IMHO, YMMV :horseback:
the problem people seem to have with people using something besides Hickory for a muzzle loader ramrod, makes me look at the steel ones that were used during the civil war that apparently are period Correct. Those that are bothered by something besides Hickory should look at that steel used in the barrel, it should have been a flat chunk of steel wrapped around a mandrel and pounded into the shape of the barrel instead of this modern high speed stuff drilled in a lathe. I suppose it's a pet peeve, but those that find problems with what other people are doing, do not make these forums more interesting, but seem to take away from those that enjoy doing their own thing.
Squint.

I carry a Rapid Rod, collapsible rod. It is for emergencies only . Google Rapid Rod. they are very handy, small, light weight, easy to carry. I should mention that the rapid Rod overall is about 30-34 inches so it will not load your 44in fowler! I hunt with a 26in barrel GPR that I had cut 6 in from 32 to 26 in. and bored .58 cal. smooth by Bobby Hoyt, so I am Ok. I like the short handy length and less weight, easier to load! Works for me! YMMV

Attachments

• Gemmer hoyt Hawken 9.jpg
    Gemmer hoyt Hawken 9.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Gemmer Hoyt Hawken 8.jpg
    Gemmer Hoyt Hawken 8.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Patch Sizes 2 Hoyt barrel.jpg
    Patch Sizes 2 Hoyt barrel.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I’d question the need for a delran rod. When I started shooting black powder I, as most people bought powder one or two pounds at a time. After a few years of hunting and competition the cost saving of buying by the case became clear. The boxes that powder comes in are quite stout so I started saving them. I have three laying around and I’m sure there was two or three that are gone. The point is I have yet to break a wooden ram rod. How you use one is more important than the material.
I'm fairly stupid but i cannot see the correlation between a ramrod and a box. I mean we actually use the ramrod. I reckon I've missed something. I like the synthetic rods because a hunt would be ruined by a broken rod.

I've always been a stickler for period correct. Not so much anymore. I've never broken a rod but have recently started cheating. I now use a synthetic rods hunting and a range rod when just shooting. The hickory rod is very seldom used. Worse than that I have started using pre measured load devices that are plastic. (AAACK!) Not long ago I would not go into the woods with anything not of period materials. No plastic, electronics, or modern foods - only leather, cotton, wool, brass. Everything in my bag was period. In my old age I have bent those rules considerably.

the problem people seem to have with people using something besides Hickory for a muzzle loader ramrod, makes me look at the steel ones that were used during the civil war that apparently are period Correct. Those that are bothered by something besides Hickory should look at that steel used in the barrel, it should have been a flat chunk of steel wrapped around a mandrel and pounded into the shape of the barrel instead of this modern high speed stuff drilled in a lathe. I suppose it's a pet peeve, but those that find problems with what other people are doing, do not make these forums more interesting, but seem to take away from those that enjoy doing their own thing.
Squint.
I would reckon that under the heat of battle a steel ram rod would be most conducive.

Back