• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrods, Hunting, other than wood ....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hunting with a muzzle loader...........Man that covers a lot of everything.

Got a hankering to extend your hunting season? Use a delrin rod in your fiberglass stocked SS barreled whiz bang with the 209 primers.

Personally if I feel I have to use anything but a hickory rod (except for an 1803) I have the wrong patch/ball combination, but then for some of us it is the traditional experience not the killing that is important.

Hunting with a muzzle loader...........Man that covers a lot of everything.

Got a hankering to extend your hunting season? Use a delrin rod in your fiberglass stocked SS barreled whiz bang with the 209 primers.

Personally if I feel I have to use anything but a hickory rod (except for an 1803) I have the wrong patch/ball combination, but then for some of us it is the traditional experience not the killing that is important.
More like "Got a hankering for a two week wilderness float for moose in AK"? Wonder what it would be like to find oneself with a broken or lost rod in the middle of that situation? It might be a one shot hunt.... if your gun was loaded before the loss or breakage! I guess you might get a ball down the barrel with a willow stick. Not likely when you examine the candidates.

So, this steel rod with 10-32 tips on each end and the file handle modified to be a rod handle was the solution. It worked great 👍! Delrin would have been better due to being lighter and hickory was a considered choice but In the end I was more certain of the steel. All of my wood rods are built the same as this one and they are used when hunting at home. Even at that if it's overnight I have a spare rifle along.

20240203_145324_copy_800x178.jpg
20240203_145329_copy_800x379.jpg
20240203_145354_copy_800x131.jpg

50 years of shooting muzzle loaders and I haven’t broken one either! What you would take and use anywhere is certainly your choice. And, it would probably end well.

But, I don't see any reason to denigrate anyone else's choice of rod material. Or to make assumptions about others and then proceed to denigrate them based on your assumptions.

In fact, I don't see any reason to denigrate anyone on any internet site. What's in it for you?

More like "Got a hankering for a two week wilderness float for moose in AK"? Wonder what it would be like to find oneself with a broken or lost rod in the middle of that situation? It might be a one shot hunt.... if your gun was loaded before the loss or breakage! I guess you might get a ball down the barrel with a willow stick. Not likely when you examine the candidates.

So, this steel rod with 10-32 tips on each end and the file handle modified to be a rod handle was the solution. It worked great 👍! Delrin would have been better due to being lighter and hickory was a considered choice but In the end I was more certain of the steel. All of my wood rods are built the same as this one and they are used when hunting at home. Even at that if it's overnight I have a spare rifle along.

View attachment 291433View attachment 291434View attachment 291435
LC, no doubt there can be exceptions on choice of ram rods. Even though I do not like the aluminum ram rod on my New Englander, l was glad I ordered it for my sometimes week long hunts in the big mountains.

However, personally, with my GPR the extra weight of a metallic ram rod would not be welcome. Not when having to pack a long way in steep terrain.

Getting older is over-rated.

Last edited:
50 years of shooting muzzle loaders and I haven’t broken one either! What you would take and use anywhere is certainly your choice. And, it would probably end well.

But, I don't see any reason to denigrate anyone else's choice of rod material. Or to make assumptions about others and then proceed to denigrate them based on your assumptions.

In fact, I don't see any reason to denigrate anyone on any internet site. What's in it for you?
I did not denigrate anyone, I said I know how to use a hickory ramrod and have faith in my abilities not to break one.

Others do not have as much confidence and that is totally up to them.

However, personally, with my GPR the extra weight of a metallic ram rod would not be welcome. Not when having to pack a long way in steep terrain.

Getting older is over-rated.
Yeah, that was my GPR and it brings it close to 10#. It's the backup now and my hunts here in Colorado are all wood rods. On top of that I need a walking stick or trekking pole in the right hand at all times which means the rifle is handled with the left. I refuse to use a sling but that day might come.

I realize that you are on the cusp of dealing with worse for the year to come so hopefully it works out for you.

I did not denigrate anyone, I said I know how to use a hickory ramrod and have faith in my abilities not to break one.

Others do not have as much confidence and that is totally up to them.
Just went back and re-read your post. Maybe you should re-read it also.

Easiest way to prevent breaking a good wooden ramrod , is to use a short starter always , when loading.. Shot competition for years with a custom longrifle with a 44 " barrel , and only once did a wood ramrod break , and it had a very tiny near invisible knot half way up the rod.

Yeah, that was my GPR and it brings it close to 10#. It's the backup now and my hunts here in Colorado are all wood rods. On top of that I need a walking stick or trekking pole in the right hand at all times which means the rifle is handled with the left. I refuse to use a sling but that day might come.

I realize that you are on the cusp of dealing with worse for the year to come so hopefully it works out for you.
Sorry you have to use a walking stick, LC. Been there done that one. Sucks but at least you’re still able to get out there. You have my respect for that. The biggest problem I have/had with a walking stick is I’d loose the thing too much. So I put flagging tape on it. I know, I know, kids these days. 😁

Ya know, as much as I love my GPR, after packing that thing around the smaller mountains here, I’m beginning to think it was appropriately named.

But as I have said, I love that rifle and I bought it for stand hunting. I still have to go up some steep grades and I ain’t ready for no rocking chair just yet.😁

I do plan on buying a period correct sling for it. They sure have saved the day for me many times. I actually use a sling very little except for when packing out game. Nice to have both hands free.

Last edited:
I have thus far broken a Ramrod once. By misplacing it and sitting on it. Thanks to advice from forum members, I was told that Ash is a good wood to use, and luckily my nearby DIY shop sells length of Ash rod in exactly the right diameter. After furnishing it with the parts from the old one, the results are pleasing and it functions perfectly well. That said, the aim was mainly cosmetic as a muzzleloader does look strangely naked without a ramrod of sorts. I always use an Alumiium range rod with interchangeable brass ends, and the ramrod itself remains in situ.

I'm curious about this, and have read posts on the forum about broken ramrods while hunting. There seems to be interest in Delran type rods.
My question for the members is ... how do you folks slim them down to fit when they need to be tapered ?

I've used straight Delran rods on T/C's. Made to fit. But on long rifles it could be a different story. I have a sectioned rod made of steel - it is USA surplus made for the M-2. I got it to use as a backup in the field
if needed in cold weather. Needs an adapter tho for a jag. Not a problem.

SO, what method do you use to slim down a Delran rod to fit your long rifle ?
So I will try and make this relevant to the situation.

You do not use a delrin rod period, you learn how to properly use a hickory ramrod, if you can not do it without breaking it............

You have just learned one of your limitations.

I actually broke one once in a car door. D’oh.

If you could use a willow roof, you wouldn’t necessarily be totally screwed. In the oldest of days, they works tire a bit if tow onto a string. Out a toggle on the other end and jam it down the barrel with the wiping stick. Pull out with the string. No need for fancy brass ends. I found it fascinating that this was a common thing.

You do not use a delrin rod period, you learn how to properly use a hickory ramrod, if you can not do it without breaking it............

While I have ramrods of all types I only use Hickory rods when in the field because i will probably only be shooting 1-3 times. I use "range" rods when at the range. it has nothing to do with knowing how to use a wooden rod. It is not rocket science, and many of us know exactly how to use one but still choose to use a different rod on the range etc. One problem today is finding a quality Hickory rod. They are not easy to come by IMHO. Yes, there are hickory rods for sale but that does not mean they are "good" ones, straight grained, no knots or other failure points etc. So, if you have a good one, many of us tend to save it for when we are a field and use other rods when we are at the range. If you have never fallen, tripped etc when you are in the woods/field then you have not been in the field much. It is easy to break a wooden rod, even when you are doing everything properly. IMHO, YMMV :horseback:

You still don't get it!

Huge expenses; airfare, outfitter fees, bush pilot fees, food for two weeks, other equipment. It all adds up. Now when I hunt it's out of the bag. All my shooting gear was in the bag and horn. So, the weak link in the equipment equation was the ramrod. As has been pointed out in this topic, ramrod get broken. Not necessarily when used to load.

You might set out on a similar expedition with a hickory rod and you would probably be just fine. I could do as well but being prudent I decided not to. Somehow the ramrod discussion triggers your animosity toward those who use equipment that doesn't suit you. So be it. You should head on over to a modern ml forum and straighten those people out.

So your suggestion of knowing limitations is ludicrous. Your self congratulatory attitude about your traditional orientation is equally ludicrous when viewed in the context of this discussion.

You still don't get it!

Huge expenses; airfare, outfitter fees, bush pilot fees, food for two weeks, other equipment. It all adds up. Now when I hunt it's out of the bag. All my shooting gear was in the bag and horn. So, the weak link in the equipment equation was the ramrod. As has been pointed out in this topic, ramrod get broken. Not necessarily when used to load.

You might set out on a similar expedition with a hickory rod and you would probably be just fine. I could do as well but being prudent I decided not to. Somehow the ramrod discussion triggers your animosity toward those who use equipment that doesn't suit you. So be it. You should head on over to a modern ml forum and straighten those people out.

So your suggestion of knowing limitations is ludicrous. Your self congratulatory attitude about your traditional orientation is equally ludicrous when viewed in the context of this discussion.
In this example, which is a good one, why would you want to chance the hunt of a life time on a weak link like a ramrod. I would be bringing an extra complet lock, and other parts, etc as well as a second rifle as back up. As they say "sheeet" happens! You never know. I have a real life example. My grandfather was a PH and hunted on three Continents. He had flown into the deep woods into Kodiak Island by float planes with several clients and they then walked into the area they were hunting in. These trips lasted 3-4 weeks. On one trip one of the "clients" decided to chop kindling. He just wanted to be helpful, but as it turned out a wood chip lodged in his eye! It took two days to get him back to civilization and proper medical help. He almost lost his eye! His hunt was over before it began! Point is, one never knows. You could use that hickory ramrod till the cows come home without any problems and then one day, wham bam thankyou mam, it snaps , impales your hand and your hunt of a lifetime just went down the toilet. it is what it is. YMMV but do not take others to task because they are being careful and planning for worse case scenario so they are prepared.:doh:

Here is the thing..........

If I were going on the hunt of a lifetime I would not take another ramrod, because I DON"T break ramrods, I don't break them when loading and I have them in the gun at other times so I don't sit on them.

And if I got talked into taking one by the guide insisting that I take one.......it would be a hickory rod, because that is what I use.

I thought this was a traditional ML forum???

Ok,

Latest posts

Back