• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Game Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How many of you hunt small game? I love to go out with the ML and hunt squrrel and cotton tails. I just enjoy being out there. How about you?

I sometimes went out with my GPR or Deerhunter to get some redfoxes or badgers. I also use my fowler for doves or ducks.

I'll be honest. All of my muzzleloader hunting has been for big game like deer. Here in southern New England the small game population isn't what it used to be. Much of the habitat has transitioned to a more mature woodland and the old farms are now subdivisions.

I could hunt for squirrel early but then it conflicts with archery season.

soon as i git done wit my .54 i'm gonna retire my .22 wit a .36 verner style flintlock :v ..............bob

As much small game as I can...but Deer come first and unfortunately our squirrel season runs concurrently...deer ends Jan 1st, so I go after squirrels 3 Saturdays in January...but the woods are at their ugliest & coldest then, plus the squirrels see you coming a mile away...but I usually get out a few times for doves, squirrels, turkeys, crows...almost never see a rabbit where I hunt...to put it in perspective, I see wild turkeys far more often than I see a rabbit.

I am still hunting small game, it was what I started with as a kid, and I have never grown up I guess.

Just like the action, big game, one shot and the fun is over, it is then gill, gut and pack the meat out.

Here in AZ the cottontail season is open year round, gotta love it.

I do.

IHrabbithare301205.jpg

small game hunting is the reason that i switched to a .62 smoothie. i love the action from a good bunny hunt or the challenge of hitting tree rats. sir henry and i have been known to hunt deer and small game at the same time. if a tree rat gives you a shot then you take it, especially if the deer hunting ain't going so good.it's always good just to be out in the woods. pieman

I do all my small game hunting with a ml'er. A muzzleloader rifle, is just the perfect "fun" tool for squirrel. I use a SxS shotgun for doves. It doesn't get better than that either and there is lots of shooting and fast loading. My deer hunting though is archery motivated. I love hunting deer with a bow. Though, I have taken 2 deer with a flinter.

Nice picture FW707!
I never had squrill but I'll bet they was tasty.I love huntin Grouse,Rabbit and once in awhile Ducks...Small game is just as tasty as Big game. :v

I love to hunt small game, I just need to make more time for it. :thumbsup:

I have a .32, but been wanting to build a .36 for a while. Just still trying to figure out full stock, or half stock and all that fun stuff. Be a while untill I can get to it though.

Nothing better than small game hunting with black powder. I've shot more rabbits with a .45 caliber half stock than anything else. I use 25 grains of FFF with a patched round ball, ragged holes at 25 yards and plenty accurate out to and beyond 50. :thumbsup:

For me, small game like rabbit and squirrels are usually short range shots with about 35 yards being max distance anyway. :wink:

I will be this year. I just got my .36 TVM southern flinter on Saturday. Looks like my .17HMR will be retired as a squirrel gun :grin:

Josh

Nice pic to complement a nice hunt.

Is that a smooth haired terrier in the portable kennel?

Back