• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What if question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You’re squirrel hunting with a .32 SMR PRB your usual small game load. White tail season is in along with squirrel. A white tail walks out at around 25 yards. Would you take a broad side shot? If so where? Me probably not. I don’t think an ethical kill is likely with my typical small game load of around 28 grains. Heavier load, 32-35 grains probably. Any conversation over coffee?

At 25 yds I could hit an eyeball in any gun (rifle) I will be found in the woods with so YA. BUT if it was white tail season I would have the .54 (or .45 or .50 or .58) and my handy BP pistol for squirrels. I have the good news from Mike my Sherrif is in the mal today! I expect it should be good for a tree rat at 20 yds. I shoot a pistol more accurately than a rifle. I shoot pistols offhand way better. Most always will shoot my rifles off a solid rest while hunting bigger stuff.

BTW its MHO 28 grains of powder in a .32 would whack the snot outta a deer's vitals. I used 12rg in the Crockett when I had it and the results mimicked or exceeded a .22WMR.

In VT you couldn’t legally use a .32 muzzleloader during muzzleloader season because we have a .43 bore minimum , but you could during the regular firearms season where we have no minimum at all.

If it was Whitetail season and I had a license for WT , I wouldn't be in the field with a squirrel gun.
But to answer, No I wouldn't, unless like someone else said I "had to" feed my starving family.

Flip the question, I wouldn't have a problem shooting the squirrel with my .54, I know I can take the head off with it.
(been there, done that)

Last edited:
If permitted than with an appropriately shaped conical. Would a .315" PRB do it? Yes, but finding the deer after the run could be difficult. Not worth it unless a survival situation.

You’re squirrel hunting with a .32 SMR PRB your usual small game load. White tail season is in along with squirrel. A white tail walks out at around 25 yards. Would you take a broad side shot? If so where? Me probably not. I don’t think an ethical kill is likely with my typical small game load of around 28 grains. Heavier load, 32-35 grains probably. Any conversation over coffee?
First hunt I went on I was 16 going after Kudu on the Highveld in South Africa. My Askari (what they call the Zulu guides) was an old grandfather who gave me more sage advice than I deserve, probably. His 2 BIG rules:
1) Take what you need, double up and add 1. Goes for food, water, ammo and socks, and
2) (in his own words for effect) "Bwana, today we will hunt him, then we shoot him. If we shoot him then we hunt him... Eish! the sun she is hot."

I'll leave you with that when you consider taking that shot. Eish! The sun she is hot.

Hey , from the Land of the Buckeye , I personally would not. Besides , in my state , to legally hunt whitetail must be a single ball of .38 or larger (but the state allows .350 legend ???!!!)

First hunt I went on I was 16 going after Kudu on the Highveld in South Africa. My Askari (what they call the Zulu guides) was an old grandfather who gave me more sage advice than I deserve, probably. His 2 BIG rules:
1) Take what you need, double up and add 1. Goes for food, water, ammo and socks, and
2) (in his own words for effect) "Bwana, today we will hunt him, then we shoot him. If we shoot him then we hunt him... Eish! the sun she is hot."

I'll leave you with that when you consider taking that shot. Eish! The sun she is hot.
Good advice from someone who knew what he was doing!

Many years ago, I helped a 12 year old boy retrieve a large 10-point buck that he had killed on his family's land. His weapon that he used to kill that large bodied buck was a Crossman Pump master 760 BB/pellet gun. Muzzle velocity was maybe 600 fps. Somehow the BB penetrated the skin, slipped between ribs, and entered the heart, killing the deer instantly. An informal necropsy found the bb still inbedded in the heart. Point being, you can kill a deer with a thrown rock (witnessed that once as my great uncle threw a stone at a deer to chase is away from his fishing hole), a bb-gun, .22 short, and for sure a .32 prb. Is it a good idea or ethical, I say a hearty "No!". For every story of a "clean kill" using inappropriate methods, there are dozens of critters that run off and die a malingering, miserable death. Why would a fella even be tempted by such a thing, unless it was strictly for survival.

No

Latest posts

Back