• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do in between hunts....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

First time doing traditional ml hunting this winter. What do I do in between hunts with my percussion Renegade? Should I just shoot into the ground and clean, or can I just take off the cap and ignore it like my unmentionable IL?

The "brass suppository season was a bust here at home and I'm looking forward to ml season next week and primitive season here in MD in early February. My ugly ILs are rtg, but the Renegade is just calling/screaming to me ...

Hi,

First time doing traditional ml hunting this winter. What do I do in between hunts with my percussion Renegade? Should I just shoot into the ground and clean, or can I just take off the cap and ignore it like my unmentionable IL?

The "brass suppository season was a bust here at home and I'm looking forward to ml season next week and primitive season here in MD in early February. My ugly ILs are rtg, but the Renegade is just calling/screaming to me ...
Im a fellow marylander as well, i just shoot up in air at slight angle. Then clean

Hi,

How long between hunts?

Unless the ML has been exposed to wet conditions, I do not unload it or clean it until seasons end.

You can use a Co2 cartridge to push the load out, or pull the ball if you so desire. Obviously you will have to clean the ML if you shoot it.

For any extended sit time on any of my ML's, they get shot, cleaned, and then oiled well before putting them to bed for months at a time. Even then, I still try to run a dry patch down the bore every now and then followed up with a well oiled patch.

I have never stored a ML muzzle down and I have never ran into any Issues from doing so. I always wipe them out before loading, remove the nipple, then run some lacquer thinner down through the flash hole. That will remove any build up if there is any down in the breech.

Last edited:
For many years our group fired the charge each evening, then completely cleaned each night. Hot barrels from water bath dried off fast, then lightly oiled and wiped clean. In later years, hunting alone, I've just left the guns loaded with caps pulled and pan emptied/wiped. Wet weather, everything gets stripped, cleaned, and left unassembled 'til morning. Still Fun !!

Shoot into a tree, NOT in the air. 1 in 100,000,000 chance but if I did it I'd make Yahoo for sure.

I had elk then deer hunts 2 weeks apart. Shot cow first evening (reloaded in the blind). Left that rifle loaded and in the truck or that garage till last day of deer season (3 weeks) and it went off like a centerfire. DO NOT BRING IN THE HOUSE OR TENT. Then it's likely to mis or hang fire. Or as per above the CO2 things are supercool.

I pull the cap and leave the powder in place. It gets unloaded when I shoot a deer or the season is over.
I loaded my muzzleloader and kept in the back of my Jeep and in my unheated garage for over 3 weeks .removed the cap and put a dried patch over nipple hammer down.I never worry about not firing and it did when I shot it.

I keep saying this , but again.....Any time you clean a m/l , If percussion , dry the firing chamber , and store muzzle down to cause any liquids to flow foreward to be removed by a dry patch before loading again. Same thing with a flinter , clean and stand muzzle down.

I have never stand my muzzle down and never had any problems, one more old wife's tale

If you shoot it, CLEAN IT.

I never leave any of mine loaded more than a couple of weeks.

I have never stand my muzzle down and never had any problems, one more old wife's tale
Well, it really helps for those who think that drowning the bore in oil is necessary.

If you shoot it, CLEAN IT.

I never leave any of mine loaded more than a couple of weeks.

Well, it really helps for those who think that drowning the bore in oil is necessary.
I'd much rather have a fair amount of oil in the breech and/or barrel then not enough. Just ascertain the oil is removed prior to loading. To the best of my knowledge, I have never rusted a ML barrel by doing so.

What's that ole saying "an ounce of prevention............

Latest posts

Back