• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Strange but true

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you could still hunt small game with your .62 smoothrifle using shot.
You didn't mention if they have any rules for shotguns for large game. Many states allow it with a single projectile, but not with shot.
Disallowing large single projectile use from a smoothbore/shotgun for small game probably has something to do with a perceived lack of accuracy. They have to regulate to the lowest common denominator.
More likely they didn't want someone during the small game season with a large caliber ball that could be used to take big game.

If I read the above chart correctly, one could legally hunt deer, bear, and elk with a .25 ACP pistol as long as he used hollow-point or soft point bullets.

I have found that muzzleloading rules in Florida seem to vary depending on which game warden you encounter. I had to get an email response from the main office of the Florida Wildlife Commission to keep an ignorant game warden from writing me up for killing a deer with a Ruger Old Army revolver.

If I read the above chart correctly, one could legally hunt deer, bear, and elk with a .25 ACP pistol as long as he used hollow-point or soft point bullets.

I have found that muzzleloading rules in Florida seem to vary depending on which game warden you encounter. I had to get an email response from the main office of the Florida Wildlife Commission to keep an ignorant game warden from writing me up for killing a deer with a Ruger Old Army revolver.
Yep. It just says center fire ammo but no fmj.

It makes me wonder if the folks writing these regulations have ever hunted anything.

Episode of KY afield awhile back. Tim farmer hunted deer with a flintlock pistol. Check it out on you tube. Maybe rules changed since then?
Just checked into it. You are correct. For big game the regs states any ML rifle or handgun of any caliber.

What I saw earlier pertains to small game. The regs state that ML rifle and shotguns can be used. It does not state one can use a ML handgun on small game.

Perhaps that is a misprint in the regs?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back