• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Strange but true

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
In Tennessee, it is legal to hunt deer, bear and elk with a muzzleloading rifle or handgun that is .36 caliber or larger.

You can also hunt small game with a muzzleloading rifle or handgun that is .36 caliber or larger.

However, you cannot hunt small game with a muzzleloading shotgun loaded with single solid ball or slugs.

I wonder where my .62 caliber smooth rifle fits in? 😕

Your smooth rifle is a shotgun.

And not as accurate as a rifle.

That's why they allow rifled bores and not smooth bores.

Sights, or what people call shotguns with sights, has nothing to do with it.

Interesting. Right next door in Ky there is no restriction on caliber for ML rifles (not even for deer) but we cannot hunt with ML pistols.

Your smooth rifle is a shotgun.

And not as accurate as a rifle.

That's why they allow rifled bores and not smooth bores.

Sights, or what people call shotguns with sights, has nothing to do with it.
You and I know that, but I’ve met TWRA officers who didn’t know a muzzleloader from a dog muzzle. When talking to them, I call it a smooth bore or shotgun.😁

And, the point I was trying to make is that a person could legally hunt squirrel with a .50 caliber rifle and patched round ball but not a .50 caliber smooth bore and patched round ball.

It’s not a problem for me though since I hunt small game with a .62 caliber smooth bore with shot and deer with .50 caliber rifle and patched round ball. Just thought it was interesting how the rules were written.

I just checked the current ML regs for Louisiana and Mississippi to make sure nothing had changed. In Louisiana .44 cal or larger or 10 ga or smaller smoothbore, ball, slug, buckshot. In Mississippi, .38 cal or larger, no smoothbore gage restriction, but ball or slug only. Both states all .35 cal or larger breech loading metallic cartridge breechloaders with BP or smokeless powder. So basically it's a free for all and has been for a long time. Ruined traditional ML hunting.

Interesting. Right next door in Ky there is no restriction on caliber for ML rifles (not even for deer) but we cannot hunt with ML pistol

Interesting. Right next door in Ky there is no restriction on caliber for ML rifles (not even for deer) but we cannot hunt with ML pistols.
Episode of KY afield awhile back. Tim farmer hunted deer with a flintlock pistol. Check it out on you tube. Maybe rules changed since then?

That’s bad.
The influx of inlines was bad enough and I admit I bought one way back, not even sure where it is now. But when they changed muzzleloading season to "primitive weapons" season and allowed the breech loaders that was the death knell for muzzleloading supplies to be found locally down here. You could buy a single shot H&R in .35 Winchester and be legal. I don't remember which state succumbed first but there was only a year or two difference.

In Tennessee, it is legal to hunt deer, bear and elk with a muzzleloading rifle or handgun that is .36 caliber or larger.

You can also hunt small game with a muzzleloading rifle or handgun that is .36 caliber or larger.

However, you cannot hunt small game with a muzzleloading shotgun loaded with single solid ball or slugs.

I wonder where my .62 caliber smooth rifle fits in? 😕
Sounds like you could still hunt small game with your .62 smoothrifle using shot.
You didn't mention if they have any rules for shotguns for large game. Many states allow it with a single projectile, but not with shot.
Disallowing large single projectile use from a smoothbore/shotgun for small game probably has something to do with a perceived lack of accuracy. They have to regulate to the lowest common denominator.

Sounds like you could still hunt small game with your .62 smoothrifle using shot.
You didn't mention if they have any rules for shotguns for large game. Many states allow it with a single projectile, but not with shot.
Disallowing large single projectile use from a smoothbore/shotgun for small game probably has something to do with a perceived lack of accuracy. They have to regulate to the lowest common denominator.
6959F349-CDE3-475C-B818-E8F3F07A849F.jpeg

Thank you for that information.
Looks much the same as many of us in that you can use your smoothrifle with shot for small game and with roundball for deer.
I'm a little envious of the allowance of rifle calibers that crossover between small and large game. I don't think I would hunt deer with a .36, but I would hunt deer and squirrels with a .45, but can't do that here.

Back