• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 Cal. Small Game load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKhuntsman

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Well with fall rapidly approaching and grouse season starting in 2 weeks here in MT. I decided to put together a small game load just for grins. The gun in a custom built Kentucky style percussion in 45 caliber. The load I started with and ultimately settled on will be 35 grns. Of 3f Scheutzen, .445 round ball, and a .015 patch lubed with Mink Oil. First target is 25 yards I pulled my second shot right and stacked 1 and 3. Then the second target is 50 yards all 3 pretty solid. The target dots are 1" and so are the squares. I laddered up in 5 grain increments to 55 grns. But 35 was the best grouping light load. I have a full charge load of 65 grains that shoots roughly the exact same group size that I can hunt deer with if I choose. I honestly probably won't carry this rifle for big game this year because I have a 54 cal. Pedersoli Hawken that is shooting great.View attachment KIMG6406.JPGView attachment KIMG6407.JPG

I've shot one grouse with a .45 caliber caplock, an incredibly luck shot. It was about 40 yards offhand and there was a .45 hole directly through the center of the birds head. I was using a deer load of 90 grains FFFG under a patched roundball, the grouse was a target of opportunity.

I have shot a whole bunch of western cottontails using the same rifle, a Ted Fellowes Beaver Lodge halfstock, shooting 45 grains FFFG under the same PRB. I used headshots only, easy to do the way these bunnies cast a frozen pose.

I've used 40 grains for years for small game including turkeys (legal in the fall in Montana). I find it shoots very close to the same point at 25 and 50yds. My rifle is set up to place the ball right at the top of the front sight with this load.

Back