• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do in between hunts....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the beginning of the season, give the gun a thorough cleaning, and a light coat of oil inside and out, followed by a dry swab of the barrel, and run a dry pipe cleaner through the flash channel. Load your gun with real black powder, and use an oil based lube on your patch (rather than water based).

After hunting, remove the percussion cap with a pair of needle noses, and throw it back in your tin (while pointing rifle in safe direction). Take the gun home.

Some guys keep their rifle in their garage, and let it ride in the back of their truck to go hunting to prevent condensation from forming when the gun is moved suddenly from a warm house/truck to the cold woods and causing ignition problems. This is good advice, and you would do well to follow it.

If at any time during season you do fire your gun, you will need to do a thorough cleaning before loading again. You do not want to ever leave a dirty rifle loaded, as black powder fouling is very corrosive and rapidly grows white oxides which will clog your flash channel and guarantee an ignition problem on your next shot.

I have to hunt with lead-free balls & bullets. So I use a CO2 discharger or air compressor to blast it out. Keep it pointed in a safe direction. If using lead for an out-of-state hunt, I'm fine using a ball puller. My hunting patches are well-lubed with bear grease/beeswax so they usually come out without much fuss.

Personally, I don't like having a charge & ball in the barrel when storing at home. I'll put the ramrod in the barrel to remind me that it's still loaded. But I prefer to have a clean, empty barrel at home.

If you shoot it, CLEAN IT.

I never leave any of mine loaded more than a couple of weeks.

Well, it really helps for those who think that drowning the bore in oil is necessary.
Mine get loaded and stay outside tape muzzle shut and pc of leather under hammer from Sept to January 1st then have burgers and beer at the short range . Never failed to fire and if not to cold with a fire going make it an end of season shoot off . The Renegades all use Mag Sparks so weather is irrelevant !/Ed

Latest posts

Back