• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What if question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of deer have been taken (jacked) with a .22 LR. Are you a poacher or a sportsman?

ADK Bigfoot
In the early 1980s I was in a gun store in Pike County Pennsylvania and there was a rather large stuffed black bear near the front door. I noticed a small dent just left of center between its eyes. I asked the store owner what was the bear taken with, he said a .22 stinger. Since then I have had alot respect for a well placed shot with a small caliber.

.36 is the legal minimum here in Tennessee. Personally I wouldn't shoot a deer with a .32. or even my .36. might consider using a .40 if that's all I had. Even in a survival situation, if all I had were a .32 or .36, I probably still wouldn't. In the areas I hang out there are way more squirrels, rabbits, whistle pigs, and other stuff I'd rather play small ball with. Those are usually dead on the spot, quick and easy to clean, and cook up nicely over a fire.

00 buckshot is allowed in most states, and it's .33 caliber. Close to the .31 or .315 commonly used in the 32.
How many buckshot pellets does it take to humanely kill a deer?
Just something for comparison and discussion.

00 buckshot is allowed in most states, and it's .33 caliber. Close to the .31 or .315 commonly used in the 32.
How many buckshot pellets does it take to humanely kill a deer?
Just something for comparison and discussion.
Buckshot is allowed in less than half the states (17) and I would guess that it generally takes more than a single pellet to humanely kill a deer.

You’re squirrel hunting with a .32 SMR PRB your usual small game load. White tail season is in along with squirrel. A white tail walks out at around 25 yards. Would you take a broad side shot? If so where? Me probably not. I don’t think an ethical kill is likely with my typical small game load of around 28 grains. Heavier load, 32-35 grains probably. Any conversation over coffee?
I have no doubts whatsoever that it could be done with a .32 RB. Under the right situation (shot option and distance) I would not hesitate to do so with my Crockett Squirrel Rifle shooting a RB.

However, if one decides to do so, shot placement would be best in the neck area and/or the head. Just about anywhere in the neck will result in a down deer. It might flop around for a brief amount of time, but it will put one down. Neck shots are very effective at doing so. It doesn't take much.

A head shot would most likely kill the deer quicker.

I would not take a shot in the normal kill zone (vitals) with a .32 RB.

With that said, I have some .32 caliber Maxi Balls for my Crockett rifle. I have never fired one yet so I have no idea as to the accuracy of them. However, I did view a video of a fella that shot a deer with a .32 Crockett shooting a Maxi Ball. It was a shot to the vitals and the deer did run a ways, but he recovered the deer.

Last edited:
My cousin shoots them in the head with the .22. His house is closely surrounded by heavy timber and his shots are under 30 yards. They are smaller deer than what we have here in the Midwest.
Drops them where they stand.

Again, I do not recommend it nor would I do it around here, but everyone has different circumstances.

Legality aside, if I were to take that shot, lungs would be my target.
After quite a few squirrels killed with my .32 Crockett its to my belief that by doing so you will most likely be in for a lengthy tracking and recovery mission. Daytime and open ground would be your friend in such a situation.

The last 4 deer that I have taken have all been 1 shot kills that dropped where they stood at 50 t0 60 yards. 2 heart shots and 2 high shoulder shots. This with an unmentionable that came out in 1895 that most experts claim is totally unsuited for Deer. It doesn't matter what you use it is all about putting the shot where it will put the deer down. I don't take questionable shots. At 73 years old the last thing I want to be doing is dragging a deer a quarter mile out of the woods.

Hey , from the Land of the Buckeye , I personally would not. Besides , in my state , to legally hunt whitetail must be a single ball of .38 or larger (but the state allows .350 legend ???!!!)
velocity is where the legend gains its edge.

The op said 25 yards I thought. Heck off hand I can shoot 1 hole groups.

If I had a 32 that I killed squirrel with, I would have a load figured for accuracy as well as sighted in for 25 to 30 yards and then if old corn cruncher showed up there would be a hole just at the base of the ear and ol cruncher would be right there dead as dead can get.

Having said that, I would never be in the woods with a 32 if deer were possibly on the menu. 54 all the way baby! I can cleanly take squirrel with either of my 54's so I would be covered. Not sure why a 32 in the woods if venison were on the "WHAT IF" list anyway.

My 2 cents ... worth everything you paid for it.

Latest posts

Back