• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sleeves In Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I know that barrels can be re-furbished/bored out i.e., going from 50 to 54 when they are pitted.

I know folks send barrels off to say go from 54 to 45 for whatever reason.

Question, what holds the sleeve in the barrel? Is it pressed in, welded/soldered in place, or what?

Wondered this while sitting in the woods.

Thanks

fdf

That's a good question, but I don't know the answer. I can tell you I have a Model 1842 pistol that came with a badly pitted bore and some erosion at the breech. Mr Hoyt put in a liner, and except for the facts that the bore is now bright, smooth, and back to original specs, you can't tell the liner is there.

Notchy Bob

Typically silver solder or epoxy, various methods …

If silver solder, is that done at the muzzle or is the breech plug removed and soldered at that end? If you can't tell the liner is in there, it would not be soldered at the muzzle would it?

Epoxy, what kind?

Sitting in the woods leaves lots of time to ponder stuff.

The good stuff!
😂

I'm scratching my head on whether a 12 gauge double can get a sleeve to be a Cape gun.

I've always wondered if the original bore is reamed from breach to muzzle, stopping just short of the muzzle, creating a lip. This way the liner can't be seen and is trapped between the breach plug and said lip.

Huh, makes sense. Liner is wedged in the barrel.

Okay, this is what Google says:

Sleeving involves cutting the old barrels off about 4” in front of the breech. New tubes are then machined, as are the old breech ends, and the two fitted together and welded into place. ... The new barrel was inserted into the enlarged bore, complete with new chamber, and restored the barrels internally.

Thoughts and comments.

I don't know how everyone does it but Hoyt removes the breech plug and drills the entire length of the barrel. It's honed and a liner is inserted using an adhesive then the muzzle end is finished. The breech plug is reinstalled correctly and the passage drilled. You may or may not see the liner. I have one I can't see at all, a couple that can be seen because of the slight difference in the color of the barrel and the liner and I have a damascus double in which the liners are very visible.

Thanks, any idea what the adhesive is?

On a side note from sitting in the woods. Saw a squirrel and started thinking a "drilling" would be great for squirrel hunting.
Side by side 12 and a .36 under them. Problem is how to get 3 locks to function and triggers. Side by side and then an under hammer?

Ha ha. Cape rifle. A sleeved 12bore would be mighty heavy with a rifled liner. A .45/16g would be nice. Germans made/ make a lot coming up on Holts uk auctions of course all brass centre fire Most old ML seem to be cheaply made examples for South African farmers well worn out too but there are nice examples but hard to find. After years of searching I got a rusty one at Holts for £850 December 2020 Made by Reilly 1853 serial numbers well documented on google. 12g right and .622 left barrel 2 grove riffling. After a lot of work removing fine rust it’s near mint It’s got 4 flip sights but not marked for distance so I’ll let you judge it’s range Great bores but It stays a wall hanger as I have no police licence at 78 to shoot it in uk Great for elk and bear cape buff even but at 11.5 lbs it’s a bit heavy to lug over the mountains

i love it !!!!! I wish you well. Have what makes you happy. My 16g pump was my favourite but the police took it away in case at 78 I might shoot intruders. Such is life in our green and pleasant land.

Attachments

• BB859B42-5827-4204-921F-85E7004FD807.jpeg
    BB859B42-5827-4204-921F-85E7004FD807.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 64
  • F79BD174-C64D-40B1-A0C8-DB0B33000455.jpeg
    F79BD174-C64D-40B1-A0C8-DB0B33000455.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 3CABAE1A-D158-4F77-AB50-67B2E7EA413E.jpeg
    3CABAE1A-D158-4F77-AB50-67B2E7EA413E.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 56
  • CBE49B2B-9668-4404-BAC1-2299CFCCDD98.jpeg
    CBE49B2B-9668-4404-BAC1-2299CFCCDD98.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 58
  • 6AD29F3A-71CD-4C7F-BEAC-342C4BF3F06D.jpeg
    6AD29F3A-71CD-4C7F-BEAC-342C4BF3F06D.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 55
In my mind....... I have always thought that a sleeved barrel should be more accurate than a non-sleeved barrel all things being equal especially in a non-mentionable due to the different grain in the steel of the two tubes dampening vibrations/harmonics.

This has not proved to be true in the two rifles that I have that are sleeved and if it worked competition shooters would be doing it as routine... They are not so that answers that question I suppose.

Ha ha. Cape rifle. A sleeved 12bore would be mighty heavy with a rifled liner. A .45/16g would be nice. Germans made/ make a lot coming up on Holts uk auctions of course all brass centre fire Most old ML seem to be cheaply made examples for South African farmers well worn out too but there are nice examples but hard to find. After years of searching I got a rusty one at Holts for £850 December 2020 Made by Reilly 1853 serial numbers well documented on google. 12g right and .622 left barrel 2 grove riffling. After a lot of work removing fine rust it’s near mint It’s got 4 flip sights but not marked for distance so I’ll let you judge it’s range Great bores but It stays a wall hanger as I have no police licence at 78 to shoot it in uk Great for elk and bear cape buff even but at 11.5 lbs it’s a bit heavy to lug over the mountains

i love it !!!!! I wish you well. Have what makes you happy. My 16g pump was my favourite but the police took it away in case at 78 I might shoot intruders. Such is life in our green and pleasant land.

"My 16g pump was my favourite but the police took it away in case at 78 I might shoot intruders."

That makes it nice and safe for you.

I’ve done several re-sleeves. You bore the entire length of the barrel to the diameter of sleeve. Then use loctite 680 the entire length. Never had one come loose.

I know where barrels come from, the barrel store.

Where do sleeves come from? I have never seen them offered for sale.

Back