• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Garmin Chronograph!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just saw at my range, the new Garmin Chrono- graph! Amazing! About as big as a bedside alarm clock, NO SCREENS!, it just sits in front of your shooting bench and records the speed. Simple as can be! Has three little 'legs', short ones, looks like something Marvin The Martian would have. Expensive now, about $600 but it will come down in price. An experienced competition shooter had it and showed us. No wires, is re-chargeable with cell phone charger. Bet this will take over and out-date all existing chronographs. Works on some kind of 'radar' system, google it!

Just be AWARE - There are 2 cut off speeds,1700 FPS and below and 1700 FPS and above.

We have had issues with some arms, BP or not, in dealing with that feature, as it is a HUGE hassel - and inconvenience - when your accurate load ‘stradles’ that number, as it only records those to the setting as selected.

We are hoping that Garman will soon allow one to custom change that point, via an upgrade.

They are VERY cool indeed though!

Thank you for that information. Pretty much everything I’ll be using it for will be 1350 or below.
I should have added that I too will be buying one ... as soon as I sell off some stuff I've accumulated, but haven't used ... LOL!

Only learning issue we had with long barrel MZL'drs, is that the muzzle needs to be positioned a few inches ahead of the Garmin unit, which means we needed to change our usual setup positioning when shooting from the bench. Now I only shoot from a bench doong load development, but still ... something to be aware of.

So if it doesn't 'read', 1st try moving the muzzle back to be just ahead of the unit.

Thanks. One of these is on my wish list. I wondered how it would work with ML rifles.

I bought one of these when I was shooting .22 benchrest and it worked great.

I would anticipate the Garmin unit would work equally as well, it seems radar chronographs will become the new standard.

EDIT................ Huummmm, I wonder if this would work for a MLer... I will have to dig it out and see if I can make it work.

PY-A-15159_FX-Radar-Pocket-Wireless_1694724515.jpg

Last edited:
Only learning issue we had with long barrel MZL'drs, is that the muzzle needs to be positioned a few inches ahead of the Garmin unit, which means we needed to change our usual setup positioning when shooting from the bench. Now I only shoot from a bench doong load development, but still ... something to be aware of.

Assuming the normal shooting position has the end of the barrel reaching over the end of the bench. Could you use a camera tripod on the ground and position it just off the bench, yet still behind the muzzle?

I use a camera tripod for my shooting chrony, my spotting scope and my indoor dry fire system.

Last edited:
Back