• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping I can tap into the wisdom here. I've got a Ruger Old Army I absolutely adore, but I'm having some trouble. Getting ready for the range the other day, I went to pull the hammer back to half cock, and it got stuck before it hit the half cock notch. The cylinder will wobble slightly, but won't turn. I also noticed that the plunger behind the trigger appears to be misaligned. Any ideas as to what might have gone wrong? I keep her clean and lubed, I'm worried something might have broken. When I pop her open, is there anything I should be looking for?

I've attached a couple of pics, the first to show how far the hammer is back, the second to show the out of whack plunger behind the trigger.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240525_180515.jpg
    20240525_180515.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240525_180526.jpg
    20240525_180526.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Hey guys, hoping I can tap into the wisdom here. I've got a Ruger Old Army I absolutely adore, but I'm having some trouble. Getting ready for the range the other day, I went to pull the hammer back to half cock, and it got stuck before it hit the half cock notch. The cylinder will wobble slightly, but won't turn. I also noticed that the plunger behind the trigger appears to be misaligned. Any ideas as to what might have gone wrong? I keep her clean and lubed, I'm worried something might have broken. When I pop her open, is there anything I should be looking for?

I've attached a couple of pics, the first to show how far the hammer is back, the second to show the out of whack plunger behind the trigger.

Thanks!
Did you touch the trigger? ROA’s are notorious for clamming up if you touch the trigger when placing on half cock. Jiggle the cylinder out, cock and unlock the revolver. Put the cylinder back in and keep your finger off the trigger. The trigger return spring is fine, it’s the way they’re built, all good.

Do what I did and send it to Ruger. I sent it in a cardboard box. Put a note in it describing the problem. They sent it FIXED for free and sent it back in a nice Ruger fit box in 2 weeks. They replaced the (palm) I think they called it. RUGER is a really awesome company. I hope this helps. Let us know what happens.

Do what I did and send it to Ruger. I sent it in a cardboard box. Put a note in it describing the problem. They sent it FIXED for free and sent it back in a nice Ruger fit box in 2 weeks. They replaced the (palm) I think they called it. RUGER is a really awesome company. I hope this helps. Let us know what happens.
Thanks! I went ahead and filled out a customer service form on the website and I'll give them a call tomorrow. I've got a bunch of Rugers, but never had an issue with one. I'm happy to hear they stand by their products.

Back