• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sleeves In Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve done several re-sleeves. You bore the entire length of the barrel to the diameter of sleeve. Then use loctite 680 the entire length. Never had one come loose.
Have you done this yourself or did you send them out to be done? I have an older Pedersoli .45 barrel that needs bored and lined. I tried boring and reaming it myself, but it seems there is a problem spot (soft or different grain structure, you can see it in the chips) in the barrel that I can not get past without the hand tools deviating. Any suggestions on who I might send it to?

Have you done this yourself or did you send them out to be done? I have an older Pedersoli .45 barrel that needs bored and lined. I tried boring and reaming it myself, but it seems there is a problem spot (soft or different grain structure, you can see it in the chips) in the barrel that I can not get past without the hand tools deviating. Any suggestions on who I might send it to?
I’ve done all of my own. It’s good to have a pilot on your drill to keep it true to the bore, but, not always needed. Don’t worry about reaming. You want the bored hole to be rough for better adhesion. I’ve hit rough spots that seem sometimes harder or soft. Just fight through it. Rough up the outside of the liner. Clean everything good with acetone. Then loctite it. It takes guts, because if the drilling goes wrong, you have an ugly piece of pipe, and the need for a new barrel. Lol

I’ve done all of my own. It’s good to have a pilot on your drill to keep it true to the bore, but, not always needed. Don’t worry about reaming. You want the bored hole to be rough for better adhesion. I’ve hit rough spots that seem sometimes harder or soft. Just fight through it. Rough up the outside of the liner. Clean everything good with acetone. Then loctite it. It takes guts, because if the drilling goes wrong, you have an ugly piece of pipe, and the need for a new barrel. Lol
I would have replaced it with a new one already but ..... it's bigger than 3/4" ATF - smaller than 13/16" - not quite an even metric size at 21.15mm. It's a pretty little gun that I rescued from completely useless (lock inop, sewer pipe barrel with surface rust, 1/8" of varnish mixed with a disgusting layer of smoke and nicotine). It's pretty good now except the barrel is not accurate. It ended up being about a .48 cal smooth-bore, but that spot buggers the accuracy. Picts

Attachments

• MLF6.jpg
    MLF6.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 30
  • MLF5.jpg
    MLF5.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 31
  • MLF4.jpg
    MLF4.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 38
  • MLF3.jpg
    MLF3.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 36
  • MLF2.jpg
    MLF2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 29
  • MLF1.jpg
    MLF1.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 35
You might try lapping the barrel. You have to pour a lead slug on a rod. Then coat with lapping compound. Work it through the rough spot. You can google how to do it. Nothing wrong with a good smooth rifle.

Huh, makes sense. Liner is wedged in the barrel.

Okay, this is what Google says:

Sleeving involves cutting the old barrels off about 4” in front of the breech. New tubes are then machined, as are the old breech ends, and the two fitted together and welded into place. ... The new barrel was inserted into the enlarged bore, complete with new chamber, and restored the barrels internally.

Thoughts and comments.
That GOOGLE is for B/L Unmentionables..O.D.

You might try lapping the barrel. You have to pour a lead slug on a rod. Then coat with lapping compound. Work it through the rough spot. You can google how to do it. Nothing wrong with a good smooth rifle.
Yes, I thought of that and tried it. I wish I had saved pictures of the chips when I reamed it. The material at the bad spot changes from nice, fine grained steel to a coarse - almost dirty cast iron - material. And it is not distributed uniformly around the circumfrence of the barrel, it's off to one side so the tool wants to drift towards the softer material. And I agree about the smooth rifle. I actually think a small calibre smoothie would be better for my circumstances hunting small game. I rarely shoot more than 30yds, max is 50yds and 95% of it is done at between +15F to -40F. I have a .32cal T/C Cherokee, but almost always hunt with my .56 cal smooth-bore. It's too much trouble trying to get a tite patch & ball combo down that tiny bore once the lube stiffens up and the barrel gets super cold. I forgot to mention doing all that on snow shoes in up to your eyeballs snow.

Seems you are online for an oval bore it takes time but all you need is an aluminium lap , a twisted rod and a square hole. Old school. The lap of aluminium is made oval by slitting it and adding a wedge to expand it It takes time a good few weeks of 20 minute sessions of back and forward but once it more than .005 oval you are done. Obviously first.: Twist the square rod to suite your required rifling twist And a deadly accurate rifle. Better if you file some groves in the lap to hold the compound. If I can do it at 78 you can do it too ha ha hz You have to think outside the box. Read up on Lancaster oval rifles I wish you well do whatever makes you happy

In my mind....... I have always thought that a sleeved barrel should be more accurate than a non-sleeved barrel all things being equal especially in a non-mentionable due to the different grain in the steel of the two tubes dampening vibrations/harmonics.

This has not proved to be true in the two rifles that I have that are sleeved and if it worked competition shooters would be doing it as routine... They are not so that answers that question I suppose.

No personal criticism of you, but I've found the opposite to be true. This with lined MLer's allowed in NSSA competition over many years at their Spring and Fall National Championships and done by Bobbie Hoyt.

He turned dozens of "Reject" Navy Arms Smith Carbines with REVERSE taper bores (meaning smaller at the breech and larger at the muzzle) into great shooters by relining them. I've seen his work on many other MLer's that shot great afterward as well.

However, the one that REALLY stands out in my mind after viewing dozens of such NSSA Arms Hoyt did, was an 1855 Rifle (not the longer Rifle Musket) on which he performed almost magic. The barrel had been cut off a little under 8 inches and smooth bored when they "sporterized" such guns after the UnCivil War.

Hoyt "stretched" it back out to full length, which means he added on the outer barrel shell to proper full length and lined the whole thing. Even when using my Opti Visor PLUS a powerful magnifier with it, I could just barely see it at the muzzle, BUT I could not detect the spot he added on the piece to make the barrel full length. But that's not all.....

I knew the owner VERY well. He was a very good shot, but not a great shot. Still, the first time he fired it in National Competition, he placed 3rd in the individual championships. After getting over me being stunned by his score, I later kidded him the Rifle got him into the Top Three, not his shooting. ;) 😀

I have never had the need for Bobby's services, but recommended him to dozens of folks who used his services. Trust me, I looked long and hard for a "sporterized" original for him to work on, but never found one at a good price.

Gus

Billinghurst, Pope and other big time builders and shooters said they thought sleeved rifles were more accurate. It changed, maybe stopped, a lot of the barrel's harmonics.

No personal criticism of you, but I've found the opposite to be true. This with lined MLer's allowed in NSSA competition over many years at their Spring and Fall National Championships and done by Bobbie Hoyt.

He turned dozens of "Reject" Navy Arms Smith Carbines with REVERSE taper bores (meaning smaller at the breech and larger at the muzzle) into great shooters by relining them. I've seen his work on many other MLer's that shot great afterward as well.

However, the one that REALLY stands out in my mind after viewing dozens of such NSSA Arms Hoyt did, was an 1855 Rifle (not the longer Rifle Musket) on which he performed almost magic. The barrel had been cut off a little under 8 inches and smooth bored when they "sporterized" such guns after the UnCivil War.

Hoyt "stretched" it back out to full length, which means he added on the outer barrel shell to proper full length and lined the whole thing. Even when using my Opti Visor PLUS a powerful magnifier with it, I could just barely see it at the muzzle, BUT I could not detect the spot he added on the piece to make the barrel full length. But that's not all.....

I knew the owner VERY well. He was a very good shot, but not a great shot. Still, the first time he fired it in National Competition, he placed 3rd in the individual championships. After getting over me being stunned by his score, I later kidded him the Rifle got him into the Top Three, not his shooting. ;) 😀

I have never had the need for Bobby's services, but recommended him to dozens of folks who used his services. Trust me, I looked long and hard for a "sporterized" original for him to work on, but never found one at a good price.

Gus

None taken, I was referencing my experiences with modern cartridge guns and the elusive one hole group. Muzzleloaders may act totally different and your experiences indicate that.

I know that barrels can be re-furbished/bored out i.e., going from 50 to 54 when they are pitted.

I know folks send barrels off to say go from 54 to 45 for whatever reason.

Question, what holds the sleeve in the barrel? Is it pressed in, welded/soldered in place, or what?

Wondered this while sitting in the woods.

Thanks

fdf
The several modern gun liners I installed had to be tapped in with a rawhide mallet after barrel and outside of liner were degreased and coated w/ light layer of epoxy. Having the right liner drill was very important.

Huh, makes sense. Liner is wedged in the barrel.

Okay, this is what Google says:

Sleeving involves cutting the old barrels off about 4” in front of the breech. New tubes are then machined, as are the old breech ends, and the two fitted together and welded into place. ... The new barrel was inserted into the enlarged bore, complete with new chamber, and restored the barrels internally.

Thoughts and comments.
Hello. Yes you got the general idea. I chopped some old barrels up to see if I could machine them to re sleeve them. Bit of a skills test and not that difficult once I had fathomed out how to do it I cut the barrels off a bit longer than needed and welded a peg into one barrel to hold in lathe then just bored that chamber out on lathe. Then I cut off the barrel I did not need and welded the peg into the other barrel and bored that one out. Dead pleased with myself. Never got around to turning up new tubes to fit , but thought about pistol sized tubes to make a Howda type pistol. Never progress as that would be illegal in uk. Enjoy

Attachments

• 57753CF9-0003-44AC-9004-869387AFC066.jpeg
    57753CF9-0003-44AC-9004-869387AFC066.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 20
  • E300396E-8EA3-4ACC-8A43-75DAEC737C93.jpeg
    E300396E-8EA3-4ACC-8A43-75DAEC737C93.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 23
  • D5488A58-B0C4-469B-A948-5B6DB29DF66C.jpeg
    D5488A58-B0C4-469B-A948-5B6DB29DF66C.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 4EEE682F-7175-434A-A4C3-90FB3ACD4EC7.jpeg
    4EEE682F-7175-434A-A4C3-90FB3ACD4EC7.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 28
  • F3E1E843-D589-4B80-BC14-7DDDAF394D9A.jpeg
    F3E1E843-D589-4B80-BC14-7DDDAF394D9A.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 00ACE075-3985-41E0-954B-65E4A373B11D.jpeg
    00ACE075-3985-41E0-954B-65E4A373B11D.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 465C2536-983C-430B-BB9C-3C7EE497EF1B.jpeg
    465C2536-983C-430B-BB9C-3C7EE497EF1B.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 9C2A64AA-F8FB-465D-B7A0-BAD27A8B81F4.jpeg
    9C2A64AA-F8FB-465D-B7A0-BAD27A8B81F4.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 13EEB0A3-CDCF-4750-B65D-2CF8BB56E732.jpeg
    13EEB0A3-CDCF-4750-B65D-2CF8BB56E732.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 29
Saw a squirrel and started thinking a "drilling" would be great for squirrel hunting.
Side by side 12 and a .36 under them. Problem is how to get 3 locks to function and triggers. Side by side and then an under hammer?
A number of three-barreled long guns were made around & after the time of Mr. Lincon's war. Here is my Wicker & Hagadorn, two .38 cal. rifles over a 16 gauge shotgun.
1640793658902.png

To fire the lower (shotgun) barrel, one must swing that blued steel thing over onto the lower (shotgun) nipple.
This gun represents my entire collection of Michigan guns now.

Back