• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sleeves In Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello. Yes you got the general idea. I chopped some old barrels up to see if I could machine them to re sleeve them. Bit of a skills test and not that difficult once I had fathomed out how to do it I cut the barrels off a bit longer than needed and welded a peg into one barrel to hold in lathe then just bored that chamber out on lathe. Then I cut off the barrel I did not need and welded the peg into the other barrel and bored that one out. Dead pleased with myself. Never got around to turning up new tubes to fit , but thought about pistol sized tubes to make a Howda type pistol. Never progress as that would be illegal in uk. Enjoy

Thanks.

Once I had a set up I would charge three hours machining the chamber bit. Two hours for the tubes and 5 hours soldering it all together so let’s say what a gunsmith would charge for two days work plus buying the tubes. Probably £1600 but really haven’t a clue

they sell guns that fails proof at holts London auction ( see : stock and action only. But cut barrels available ) but only gun dealers can bid and buy them, they go from £20-£80. If a smith or certified dealer is interested in bidding on them

Be nice if the sleeves were of real gun barrel quality steel, not screw stock.
Curious as to your information source? Track of the Wolf muzzleloader liners are made out of chrome-moly. Brownells barrel liners, though not intended for muzzleloaders, are also CM or 4140.
1640804562872.png

Thanks, any idea what the adhesive is?

On a side note from sitting in the woods. Saw a squirrel and started thinking a "drilling" would be great for squirrel hunting.
Side by side 12 and a .36 under them. Problem is how to get 3 locks to function and triggers. Side by side and then an under hammer?
I had an odd drilling (16ga/ 8mmX46r/ .22 lr) beautifully relief engraved with a two leaf sight for the 8X46 and just ahead of that, a single leaf for the .22(folded, the leaves were flush with the rib). The original “do everything gun. Ended up swapping it for a brand new steyr ssg .308 . I was younger then , today I’d have kept it.

The good stuff!
😂

I'm scratching my head on whether a 12 gauge double can get a sleeve to be a Cape gun.
The stoeger shotguns had a coach gun that you could ad 45/70 sleeves and i see one friend put it together with this rubber tightenr at both ends..i didnt think it was worth a dam..he got rid of it.

I know that barrels can be re-furbished/bored out i.e., going from 50 to 54 when they are pitted.

I know folks send barrels off to say go from 54 to 45 for whatever reason.

Question, what holds the sleeve in the barrel? Is it pressed in, welded/soldered in place, or what?

Wondered this while sitting in the woods.

Thanks

fdf
funny i think of So much more as i sit on deer stands . mind gets going more clear too

Back