• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel sleeve

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone sleeve muzzeloader barrels? I'm think of something like a 20 ga. Sleeved to wind up as a I'm or full at the muzzel. Just trying to think of a way to get some better patterns from a fudil I'm going to build. I know about harder to get wads and cards past muzzel and NO round ball shooting. I just want some squirrel and turkey patterns.
Can't find a colerain turkey barrel besides I think a I'm or full would be great.

Bobby Hoyt is your Man..👍

That is if what you’re asking can be done.

E4FCCBE7-844C-4FC7-ACD9-B91F169D99FA.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about a pattern until I had the gun built and ready to shoot. If you can't work up a good load/pattern have it jug choked, chances are you won't need it. I've killed quite a few gobblers from 10 to 35 yards and deer and bear from 25 to 75 yards with a no choke 20 bore Fussil de chasse.
You're looking for a solution to a problem that dosen't exists yet.

Does anyone sleeve muzzeloader barrels? I'm think of something like a 20 ga. Sleeved to wind up as a I'm or full at the muzzel. Just trying to think of a way to get some better patterns from a fudil I'm going to build. I know about harder to get wads and cards past muzzel and NO round ball shooting. I just want some squirrel and turkey patterns.
Can't find a colerain turkey barrel besides I think a I'm or full would be great.
Before I would sleeve a barrel, I would do as @Comfortably_Numb suggests and have the barrel jug choked. You get the positive effects of choking the bore without the problems of bore restrictions when loading wads plus an effective squirrel and turkey gun with the option of shooting round balls.

For some reason Crow doesn’t seem too want a jug choked barrel … according too his previous postings..🤔🤷‍♂️

The Colerain Turkey choked barrel is the answer.. Everyone that I know that owns one is well pleased with the results..

Yes, they seem too be like finding hens teeth at the moment..
But I’m sure someone has one squirrel’d away…..

Another way to get tighter patterns is to use a paper shot cartridge, I make mine out of three thickness of newspaper wraped around a wooden dowel and tied shut with kite string. Less than three thickness tend to fall apart, more than three give a "sluging effect"

My black powder mentor built full choked muzzleloading shotguns for decades, using converted cartridge barrels, single shots for trap. I've never heard of having just the last few inches sleeved for choke, if that's what you're wanting. I have a 10 and 12 bore both with full chokes. It's no problem whatsoever to load them. Fiber wads are WORTHLESS, IMHO, so it's simple to load using over powder and shot wads.

I think You'll want a jug choke on your fuzil. I'm not sure if Bobby does that, but Danny Caywood did.

Back