• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting High

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I ahve a 20 bore fowler that had the barrel slightly bent for the previous owner. As a result the gun shoots rather high for me. so i replaced the front sight with a taller one. Now the gun shoots even higher? I ahve not changed the load, or anyother parameters. The only thing i can think of is that I was at a different range than i normally shoot. and it felt like the tables were lower than I am used to. also , i dont normally shoot off a table . but the range was exceptionally busy and that was my only option. would shooting off a bench VS off hand cause the ball to rise? any thoughts are greatley appreciated

Yes.

Took my last kid from church after turkey, he had it down with the 12GA CVA Gobbler. We called in a great big tom to 18yds and his shot column went right over the head. We had him shoot a can at same yard and globbered it (offhand). Finally we noted he had laid the barrel directly on top of the log we hid behind instead of a hand under (or a hat/glove etc). Caused the shot to jump. The gun makes a difference but I believe you will shoot high on most w/o something under the barrel, like yer hand :idunno: Even on sand etc. I always shoot on sand bags with my hand under the gun so the bags are supporting my hand not the barrel. Though I usually shoot with a side vertical rest like a tree etc with HAND on tree for a steady shot.

Bryon said:
The only thing i can think of is that I was at a different range than i normally shoot. and it felt like the tables were lower than I am used to. also , i dont normally shoot off a table . but the range was exceptionally busy and that was my only option. would shooting off a bench VS off hand cause the ball to rise? any thoughts are greatley appreciated

Dollars to donuts your head was higher when shooting from a lower bench. Higher head will raise your POI in a heartbeat.

BrownBear said:
Bryon said:
The only thing i can think of is that I was at a different range than i normally shoot. and it felt like the tables were lower than I am used to. also , i dont normally shoot off a table . but the range was exceptionally busy and that was my only option. would shooting off a bench VS off hand cause the ball to rise? any thoughts are greatley appreciated

Dollars to donuts your head was higher when shooting from a lower bench. Higher head will raise your POI in a heartbeat.
I totally agree -- I can't think of any other possability for the high shot. Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun.

I'm guessing that when he pulled the trigger, he jerked his head up to see if the turkey was hit. Probably ended up sending the shot over the turkey...

Bench shooting makes me shoot high....
low bench and a high rest makes you look over the sight barrel to see the target...this is bad when your eye is the rear sight.. raising your head = raising the rear sight = shooting high.

Bryon said:
....so i replaced the front sight with a taller one.

You went the wrong way, You are supposed to move your front sight opposite of the direction that you want the shot to go. If you are shooting low and you want the shot to go higher, you must make your front sight down not up. If you have a rear sight, as some do, you move the rear sight the direction that you want your shot to move. To move it down, you move the rear sight down. To move it up you move your rear sight up.

If, as most folks do, you have no rear sight, then to move the shot down, you just have to move your head down on the stock just a bit until you find the exact place for your cheek on the stock.

Just a hint, if you have no rear sight, you can use the rear tang bolt as sort of a rear sight or reference point for aiming. Turn your tang bolt until the slot is lined up with the barrel. It will be below your line of sight but you can then line the front sight up with the bolt slot. With practice you can make that fowler pretty darn accurate and have your shot going where you want it.

In the worst case, you may have to rasp off part of the comb of your stock so that you can get your head down far enough.

Bryon said,

"... As a result the gun shoots rather high for me. so i replaced the front sight with a taller one..." so, IMO, the taller front sight was the correct thing to do.

IMO...Replacing the front sight with a taller one only works if you have a rear sight....

Without a rear sight it simply increases the angle from your eye to the target. Think of it like a hinge were the front sight is connected to the line of sight.....a taller sight acts like a longer hinge....increasing the angle of the bore.

Zonie said:
Bryon said,

"... As a result the gun shoots rather high for me. so i replaced the front sight with a taller one..." so, IMO, the taller front sight was the correct thing to do.
With a consistent cheek-weld, a taller front sight would lower the muzzle and therefore the POI.

Zonie said:
Bryon said,

10-4, either a taller front sight or lower the comb on the stock.

colorado clyde said:
IMO...Replacing the front sight with a taller one only works if you have a rear sight....

Without a rear sight it simply increases the angle from your eye to the target. Think of it like a hinge were the front sight is connected to the line of sight.....a taller sight acts like a longer hinge....increasing the angle of the bore.
What I meant to say is a taller sight tends to raise your head when you don't have a rear sight. if you have a rear sight it lowers your head when you align the sights.

Yep, you are right, Zonie. I had a brain fart. :doh: You move the front sight OPPOSITE of the way you want the POI to go. In his case, he should raise it to lower his POI. Boy, after all of these years of shooting you would think that I wouldn't make that stupid mistake......but I did. I WAS WRONG, FORGET MY PREVIOUS POST.

colorado clyde said:
Yep try removing the sight all together..
:thumbsup:
That would be me. Instinct shot, I instinctive know I am going to miss.

I can even use my targets over again.

Works for me.
William Alexander

Back