• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fixed sights point of impact

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Develop your load first.

Then determine your trajectory with that load. Using the EXACT same point of aim and sight picture, shoot at 25, 50, 75, and 100. Measure how far above or below your point of aim the point of impact is. If you draw that trajectory out on paper it's a good visual of what you have. THEN decide what you want/need to do with the sights to put that trajectoryto the best use for your shooting considerations.

To lower a point of impact you need a taller front sight or a lower rear sight. Opposite to raise the point of impact.

An easy thing to try, to determine approximately how tall a front sight you need, is to securely place a thick black plastic zip tie around the barrel near the front sight location, with the tag end sticking straight up. Start with clipping it off a good bit higher than you think you need. Use the top of the zip tie as the "top of your front sight". Shoot it. If the zip tie is tall enough you should now be impacting too low. To regulate your front sight height to a certain range just clip very small amounts off until you reach your desired point of impact at that range.

If you mess up you're only out a zip tie. Install another one and redo it.

When you get it right you now have a reference to actually measure the height of a new sight to install. Install one that's a few thousandths taller than your zip tie measurement, then take a file to the range and a few strokes should finish the job.
that sounds like a good way to find the right height

Develop your load first.

Then determine your trajectory with that load. Using the EXACT same point of aim and sight picture, shoot at 25, 50, 75, and 100. Measure how far above or below your point of aim the point of impact is. If you draw that trajectory out on paper it's a good visual of what you have. THEN decide what you want/need to do with the sights to put that trajectoryto the best use for your shooting considerations.

To lower a point of impact you need a taller front sight or a lower rear sight. Opposite to raise the point of impact.

An easy thing to try, to determine approximately how tall a front sight you need, is to securely place a thick black plastic zip tie around the barrel near the front sight location, with the tag end sticking straight up. Start with clipping it off a good bit higher than you think you need. Use the top of the zip tie as the "top of your front sight". Shoot it. If the zip tie is tall enough you should now be impacting too low. To regulate your front sight height to a certain range just clip very small amounts off until you reach your desired point of impact at that range.

If you mess up you're only out a zip tie. Install another one and redo it.

When you get it right you now have a reference to actually measure the height of a new sight to install. Install one that's a few thousandths taller than your zip tie measurement, then take a file to the range and a few strokes should finish the job.
never thought of that.what a great idea. thanks for sharing. dang yaw guys are smart on this stuff

Hmmmm....don't think that's what he wants!
Why?

OP, I wish I had an answer for you. Seems like a lot of posts on this forum end up this way. Everyone wants to give advise about things that aren’t the original question. Let us know how the front sight replacement goes, if you do it.

Why?

OP, I wish I had an answer for you. Seems like a lot of posts on this forum end up this way. Everyone wants to give advise about things that aren’t the original question. Let us know how the front sight replacement goes, if you do it.

Everything posted here relates to the original question. Having options isn't a bad thing. Gleaning other's ideas that might save work/time/money isn't a bad thing. That's what forums like these are for. Sharing experience and helping others.

Why?

would prefer it to be a bit lower at 50 since this would be the max range

Because filing down the front sight will make it shoot even higher!!

I’m wondering how much will need to be removed to correct that much of a gap at 50
@Maven88

FORMULA
The 'Formula' is relationship, where 'A is to B' is the same as 'C is to D'. This is expressed as A/B = C/D, where:
  • A = The amount the sight (front or rear) needs to move (or be filed, where possible) in inches
  • B = The distance between the sights in inches, or the sight radius
  • C = How far away your impact is from your aim, in inches
  • D = Distance in inches, at whatever yardage you shot
Example:
Let's say your 2" low @ 50-yards. 'A' is what you want to know. Let's assume you have a sight radius of 28", then 'B' = 28". 'C' = 2" and 50-yards in inches = 50 x 3- feet per yard x 12 inches per feet, so 'D' = 1800 inches.

Using the formula: You have A/28 = 2/1800. Then you cross-multiply (top to bottom of each!) to get, 1800A = 56 (or 2 x 28).

Solve for 'A': Divide both sides by 1800 results in A = 56/1800, or 0.311" or about 1/32th of an inch that the front sight needs to be filed DOWN to raise the point of impact.

NOTE - If you are printing high, you can't UNfile the front sight to lower the impact, but you could get a taller front sight or file down the top of the rear sight (if you have material to do so) and deepen the notch as needed. But be careful there, you need a thin file so as not to inadvertently widen the sight notch.

If you're happy with the accuracy, I'd be more inclined to shoot the gun enough to where the slight changes won't matter. In short, practice, practice and practice some more

Back