• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need help with percussion hammer striking nipple to high

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkmountainken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a very old .32 cal percussion made in the 1800's that i bought from this site, LOVE the gun shoots great BUT it has a replacement hammer from a TC Renegade which strikes the nipple to high. it does go off and is very accurate but after a dozen strikes the top of the nipple gets deformed/mushrooms and a number 11 cap will not fit anymore. can someone help me with what to do or point me in the direction of another hammer preferably a little more period correct as this is the only piece that is not original. the dimensions of the nipple are a bit different as well .270x28 as opposed to the normal .250x28 any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3850.jpg
    IMG_3850.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
Looking at the photo , the hammer isn't striking squarely on the nipple due to the drum being slightly rotated clockwise , beyond where the nipple should be pointing to the center of the hammer nose. This can easily be corrected by removing the drum , and installing a shall piece of say , .007 thick shim stock cut into a washer fitting under the drum. This will cause the drum to stop directly under the hammer nose. This over rotation of a percussion drum , these days , is caused by unknowing persons unnecessarily , removing the drum to clean the rifle . Most rifle barrels are made of soft iron , or today , soft lead bearing steel that can't take repeated tightening of a drum , and threads are stretched in barrel steel. I've had to put shim stock under a couple rifle drums to fix this problem. If done neatly , the shim stock is not visible. To safely drill the drum thread hole in sheet metal , clamp it between two PCs. of wood , them using metal shears , cut the excess away.

OOOOPS.............Gave info to fix a drum and nipple , and this is not that type........Very sorry. Get a new hammer after you break the original trying to adjust the hammer strike area. Good chance the hammer can be bent enough with a large vise.

If you don’t care about looks, you can fit a spare flintlock cock to the lock, then make a jaw insert . Then you can adjust the jaw insert to hit the cap square on. This was done in the old days on a few rifles converted to percussion. Be a lot easier than searching for a hammer or a lot of bending and fussing.

I had a gun with this issue although not this bad and I recontoured the inside of the hammer cup to change the angle of the flat to match the nipple surface. I worked fine.

The nipple threads are at the wrong angle. I see that a lot on old guns. A shorter nipple will help. .270 x 28TPI sounds like some one used and oversized nipple and forced it to upset threads. Perhaps they forced it in cockeyed.

IF it were mine I'd make a repair to install a 1/4 x 28TPI nipple of normal dimensions at the correct angle. You will have a hard time finding somebody to do that at a reasonable price.

A combination of a shorter nipple and changing the striking face of the hammer to match the nipple will probably get you by.

Make a critical inspection of the nipple threads in the bolster.

The hammer on this lock is a TC, from a Hawken or Renegade. What is the easiest solution? Replace the hammer, or modify the existing hammer? It's a TC so it's not a travesty to modify it. I'll probably be the one doing the modifying, and I'm hesitant to hear and bend, or heat via welding to attach more metal, and then reshape.

Best way is do what Antelope Pete suggested. I've done that before and it is the easiest way. Trying to find a hammer that works is a pain in the backside. Heating and bending I would not do.

Maybe the OP can post a clear side view of the whole lock and bolster?

Just making the distance longer between the tumbler pivot and hammer face may not accomplish anything. The angle of the nipple is rotated clockwise from where it needs to be. See attached.

Attachments

• angles.png
    angles.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 0
Back