• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fixed sights point of impact

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maven88

32 Cal
Reaction score
I recently got an older James Klein .62 cal smooth bore flint lock shooting. Ended up with 90 grains of 2F and .010 patches. Only shot to 50 yards but it’s holding about a 1.25-1.5” group.

I’m approximately 6” high at 50 and just slightly high at 25. I haven’t shot further yet, but would suspect it to be a touch high or dead on at 100. I would prefer it to be a bit lower at 50 since this would be the max range for most of my shots, then hold over for anything further.

My questions are is this a normal POA/POI? Would it be worth replacing the front sight with a taller one?

I would be fine with knowing my impacts at various distances, but my preferred choice would be a more versatile zero such as slightly high at 50 and slightly low at 100.

IMG_1221.jpeg

Picture of the front sight. I’m not sure how to replace that style either or how it’s attached to the barrel.

I recently got an older James Klein .62 cal smooth bore flint lock shooting. Ended up with 90 grains of 2F and .010 patches. Only shot to 50 yards but it’s holding about a 1.25-1.5” group.

I’m approximately 6” high at 50 and just slightly high at 25. I haven’t shot further yet, but would suspect it to be a touch high or dead on at 100. I would prefer it to be a bit lower at 50 since this would be the max range for most of my shots, then hold over for anything further.

My questions are is this a normal POA/POI? Would it be worth replacing the front sight with a taller one?

I would be fine with knowing my impacts at various distances, but my preferred choice would be a more versatile zero such as slightly high at 50 and slightly low at 100.
Not a bad group at 50 yards! You could adjust your POA on the target for 50 yards. Aim lower to hit where you want. (easier than aiming high, at least!). It seems the ball is at or near its crest in flight at 50 yards.
I’d play around with the powder load before filing a sight, if you’re considering that.

Not a bad group at 50 yards! You could adjust your POA on the target for 50 yards. Aim lower to hit where you want. (easier than aiming high, at least!). It seems the ball is at or near its crest in flight at 50 yards.
I’d play around with the powder load before filing a sight, if you’re considering that.

Thank you, sir. I started with 80 grains and it was about 3.5-4” group at 50 then significantly tightened up with 90. I’ll try 95 to see what happens, but probably not until after season.

I wouldn’t be too opposed to holding under at 50, but I’d like to be dead on or 2” or so high if I had to pick. I’m just wondering what my options are and how to go about replacing that front sight if I decided to.

Develop your load first.

Then determine your trajectory with that load. Using the EXACT same point of aim and sight picture, shoot at 25, 50, 75, and 100. Measure how far above or below your point of aim the point of impact is. If you draw that trajectory out on paper it's a good visual of what you have. THEN decide what you want/need to do with the sights to put that trajectoryto the best use for your shooting considerations.

To lower a point of impact you need a taller front sight or a lower rear sight. Opposite to raise the point of impact.

An easy thing to try, to determine approximately how tall a front sight you need, is to securely place a thick black plastic zip tie around the barrel near the front sight location, with the tag end sticking straight up. Start with clipping it off a good bit higher than you think you need. Use the top of the zip tie as the "top of your front sight". Shoot it. If the zip tie is tall enough you should now be impacting too low. To regulate your front sight height to a certain range just clip very small amounts off until you reach your desired point of impact at that range.

If you mess up you're only out a zip tie. Install another one and redo it.

When you get it right you now have a reference to actually measure the height of a new sight to install. Install one that's a few thousandths taller than your zip tie measurement, then take a file to the range and a few strokes should finish the job.

Develop your load first.

Then determine your trajectory with that load. Using the EXACT same point of aim and sight picture, shoot at 25, 50, 75, and 100. Measure how far above or below your point of aim the point of impact is. If you draw that trajectory out on paper it's a good visual of what you have. THEN decide what you want/need to do with the sights to put that trajectoryto the best use for your shooting considerations.

To lower a point of impact you need a taller front sight or a lower rear sight. Opposite to raise the point of impact.

An easy thing to try, to determine approximately how tall a front sight you need, is to securely place a thick black plastic zip tie around the barrel near the front sight location, with the tag end sticking straight up. Start with clipping it off a good bit higher than you think you need. Use the top of the zip tie as the "top of your front sight". Shoot it. If the zip tie is tall enough you should now be impacting too low. To regulate your front sight height to a certain range just clip very small amounts off until you reach your desired point of impact at that range.

If you mess up you're only out a zip tie. Install another one and redo it.

When you get it right you now have a reference to actually measure the height of a new sight to install. Install one that's a few thousandths taller than your zip tie measurement, then take a file to the range and a few strokes should finish the job.
Very very clever idea with the zip tie- thank you!

Well, I happen to think that 90grains of 2F is a mighty stout load in a .62 smoothbore. My normal hunting load is 70grs. of 3F in my .62 fusil.
Back off your powder charge and you should see your ball drop a little. However, accuracy and a tight group is another matter. Apparently, you have found that 90grs. of 2F gives you a good group, and that is well and good, but remember that you are shooting a muzzleloader and not a modern cartridge rifle.
Certain concessions are required.
My fusil has no rear sight, and I am happy to get a 6-inch group at 50 yards. That is plenty good enough for deer at that range.

I suggest pull the barrel out. Put it in your vise and flex it down while repositioning it in the jaws to flex it the length of the barrel not one spot. It wouldn't take much. Go easy....put it back in the gun and shoot it. Barrels are soft and easily flex. I have done this with a few guns. They did it back in the day. Don Getz did it. Colrain will do it.

Leave it alone for now. Develop your load first.
Bingo. Leave it alone for now. Shoot more until you get to 'know' the gun. It seems to be shooting very good for a smoothie. Learn where it will impact and then 'kentucky' your aim for different ranges. This isn't a target rifle, don't overthink what you need to do for successful shooting.

Back