• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

September 2023 Postal Match Target - Let's Go Bowling!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
90BE99B6-CA46-47B3-B845-738F7DAE2FA6.jpeg

On the table was not any better than off hand so this is on the table. Shot REAL minies with 45-45-10 lube no patch.
Looks like only 34.
But it was fun. Thanks Gary

I can’t even see the 10 spots so I just held over the bowling ball and guessed. For some reason I thought this was only a 5 shot target so I stopped and went home. After I get my other 5 shots in I’ll post, however bad my score is. LOL

I took a risk and tried for the big points off the get go...Didn't work out so well for me. I played it safe for the last few
.32 Crockett(fun little plinker)
Thanks again for doing this. May I suggest the broad side of a barn for a target at some point? I'm pretty good at hitting those:)

Attachments

• 20230924_151853.jpg
    20230924_151853.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I can’t even see the 10 spots so I just held over the bowling ball and guessed. For some reason I thought this was only a 5 shot target so I stopped and went home. After I get my other 5 shots in I’ll post, however bad my score is. LOL
When I make these targets they always look so easy on the computer monitor! Looking at them from 25 yards away is a whole different story. Maybe I will start taking them outside to look at them from a distance before I post them here :ghostly:

When I make these targets they always look so easy on the computer monitor! Looking at them from 25 yards away is a whole different story. Maybe I will start taking them outside to look at them from a distance before I post them here :ghostly:
Keep doing it the way you are. They may be hard to hit for some of us sometimes, but it gives me motivation to shoot more. And when the scores come out, it's motivation to shoot better. I shoot by myself 99.9% of the time. This is fun and challenging in a good way.

Keep doing it the way you are. They may be hard to hit for some of us sometimes, but it gives me motivation to shoot more. And when the scores come out, it's motivation to shoot better. I shoot by myself 99.9% of the time. This is fun and challenging in a good way.
Thanks Greybeard - I am glad you enjoy the matches and I feel the same way about being motivated to shoot when there is friendly competition! I appreciate your participation Greybeard. :thumb:

Thanks for posting Richard. I plan to shoot next months target with rifle and pistol. Shot a Ruger Old Army today for the first time and it looks like it will group well, but it was shooting high and left. The rear sight was screwed all the way down but there is still room left so I will grind the screw down a little to give me more adjustment. It was also moved way over to the left and I didn't have a small enough screwdriver to adjust it so that will be another visit to the range next week.

I should have stayed focused on the bowling ball rather than the top of the pins. And wow that one low flyer was a surprise. Shot this with my Kibler Colonial 50 cal with 90 gr. homemade powder, .500 RB, .012 patch lubed with Ballistol & Water mix. It was fun to shoot. Thanks a bunch Gary for doing this each month.

Attachments

• 2023-9 PostalShoot.jpg
    2023-9 PostalShoot.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • KiblerColonial-bag-horn (1).jpg
    KiblerColonial-bag-horn (1).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Was hoping to shoot this again, but time ran out. 40 cal Renegade, 35 gr 3F OE, .015 patch, .390 ball, lube Fur Fish and Game lube, off shaky 74 year old hands. 26 humbling points, didn't do much better in the Buffalo bowling alleys I was raised near. Good job Gary! Another challenging target!

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpeg
    IMG_0002.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I should have stayed focused on the bowling ball rather than the top of the pins. And wow that one low flyer was a surprise. Shot this with my Kibler Colonial 50 cal with 90 gr. homemade powder, .500 RB, .012 patch lubed with Ballistol & Water mix. It was fun to shoot. Thanks a bunch Gary for doing this each month.
Thanks for posting JGH! I will keep posting new targets as long as enough people are enjoying them!

Was hoping to shoot this again, but time ran out. 40 cal Renegade, 35 gr 3F OE, .015 patch, .390 ball, lube Fur Fish and Game lube, off shaky 74 year old hands. 26 humbling points, didn't do much better in the Buffalo bowling alleys I was raised near. Good job Gary! Another challenging target!
Thanks for posting Quin - glad you liked it but you were supposed to be aiming at the big black circle! I could hardly make yout the pins at 25 yards.

I will be posting a new target tomorrow for October - I looked at it today at 25 yards and it's easy to see!

This was a difficult target for me. When I posted it at 25 yards,, all my 76 year old eyes could see was the bowling ball. I shot it with my 25 caliber flintlock with 20 grains of 3f Swiss, .250 ball, .010 patch and moose milk lube. The rifle is very accurate and has a fast ignition so if I miss i can't blame the gun. I could make out the gray bands around the pins but if I aim at that I usually shot low so all I could do is aim dead center and hold 3 inches below the top of the paper. The best i could do is a 39. It is what it is !!!

Attachments

• IMG_4257.JPG
    IMG_4257.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Looks like I’m a 32. Gary will have to rescore, I might have been generous.

Attachments

• 9AF934D5-BF72-4CBB-8828-D1B9DD95B88C.jpeg
    9AF934D5-BF72-4CBB-8828-D1B9DD95B88C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This was a difficult target for me. When I posted it at 25 yards,, all my 76 year old eyes could see was the bowling ball. I shot it with my 25 caliber flintlock with 20 grains of 3f Swiss, .250 ball, .010 patch and moose milk lube. The rifle is very accurate and has a fast ignition so if I miss i can't blame the gun. I could make out the gray bands around the pins but if I aim at that I usually shot low so all I could do is aim dead center and hold 3 inches below the top of the paper. The best i could do is a 39. It is what it is !!!
Thanks Emery - looks ike a 39 to me. The bowling ball also was about all I could see. I am posting October target in a few minutes and I guarantee it will be easier to see!

Went out and shot the Sept bowling ball and scored a 44. I also had a hard time seeing the pins!

Attachments

• Sept 2023 Completed Target.pdf
    432.4 KB · Views: 0
I would have had trouble seeing them too had I been able to shoot the September target. A bit of late advice: For those difficult to see targets, try using the appropriate size orange Target Dots/Spots as they make life so much easier.

Back