• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

December 2023 Postal Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

December 18 is National Roast Suckling Pig Day!​

Decided to celebrate this internationaly celebrated holiday with a suckling pig target!

Three categories: rifle, smoothbore, (smoothbore must not be equipped with rear sight - front sight/bead only) or handgun

Two ways to shoot: Offhand from 25 yards with rifle or smoothbore or 15 yards with handgun.
Bench rest/supported from 25 yards with rifle or smoothbore or 15 yards with handgun

Mark your targets as either rifle orsmoothbore or handgun and either offhand or benchrest/supported.

6 shots for score

Hits in the either of the two bullseyes count 10 points
Hits anywhere else in the pig score 5 points
Ball must be half way into the target area to score points. Maximum score is 60 pts.

Shoot as many times as you wish but please only post one target per category with pictures of target (and gear, if possible - we love to see everyone's equipment and load data!) Post jpg or pdf formats. Please score your own targets and write your score on the target along with information on the load you used. I will check scores and it helps me if you will draw a line to each hole in the target and write your points for each shot - makes it easier for me to check the targets

Prize is same as always - bragging rights on the forum!
I will be posting November results this weekend.

Have fun and stay safe!

Gary

Attachments

• December 2023 Target.pdf
    73.2 KB · Views: 0

Decided to celebrate this internationaly celebrated holiday with a suckling pig target!

Three categories: rifle, smoothbore, (smoothbore must not be equipped with rear sight - front sight/bead only) or handgun

Two ways to shoot: Offhand from 25 yards with rifle or smoothbore or 15 yards with handgun.
Bench rest/supported from 25 yards with rifle or smoothbore or 15 yards with handgun

Mark your targets as either rifle orsmoothbore or handgun and either offhand or benchrest/supported.

6 shots for score

Ball must be half way into the target area to score points. Maximum score is 60 pts.

Shoot as many times as you wish but please only post one target per category with pictures of target (and gear, if possible - we love to see everyone's equipment and load data!) Post jpg or pdf formats. Please score your own targets and write your score on the target along with information on the load you used. I will check scores and it helps me if you will draw a line to each hole in the target and write your points for each shot - makes it easier for me to check the targets

Have fun and stay safe!

Gary
Gary, thank you for reminding me about National Roast Suckling Pig Day!
Almost forgot. 😉🥴🤣

6 shots for score

Have fun and stay safe!

Gary
Most fitting! My father came home with a broken 50 cal. smoothbore mid 1950’s having spent the day building a pigpen. Around 2000, I got the parts needed to rebuild and shoot it. Members of OSMLC named it, “Sooo—Wee”!

This looks like it could be a lot of fun. I don't get out to the range as often as I'd like or should. And I never see anyone out at the range with a flinter or even another cap lock like mine. If they're making smoke, it's with an in-line. I know there's guys who have the old smoke poles at home, but I don't see them at the range. Maybe this will entice them to bring them out. Maybe even bring some in as members to this forum.

Hope you enjoy these matches! I used to live in Maplewood, MN and used to shoot at Lake Elmo gun club - where are you located?

It was a pretty nice afternoon so took a break and ran down to the range and shot the skinny little pigs. I shot off the bench and off hand. As you can see it’s the Indian at fault not the bow and arrow. Thanks Gary!

I shot my kibler .36 smr with 30 gns Schuetzen 3F, .350 cast ball, .020 ticking patch with 50/50 Murphy’s and water lube.

Oh and the one 10 offhand, I was aiming at the other spot. But I’ll take it😂

Attachments

• DF09BDA2-0C22-46D1-9962-92BD8B2D2F4F.jpeg
    DF09BDA2-0C22-46D1-9962-92BD8B2D2F4F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • C379733B-92B3-47A1-B361-3D4C11CDD415.jpeg
    C379733B-92B3-47A1-B361-3D4C11CDD415.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Thank you. I’m ok off a bench although I usually have one flier. But I was quite happy with that target. It’s offhand I struggle badly. I see the targets guys shoot offhand on here and can only wish.
Nicely done Jim K!! I think this might be only the second perfect target we've seen this year.

6 shots for score

Have fun and stay safe!

Gary
Is the address missing that the target has to be sent to or am I just not seeing it? What is the address?

Is the address missing that the target has to be sent to or am I just not seeing it? What is the address?
Although this is called a postal match, nothing is physically mailed. Post your target as a jpg or pdf file in this thread along with pertinent information as described in the #1 thread above.

Gary, here’s my smoothbore target, 25yds, offhand, looks like a score of 30, maybe a 35?
.62 cal Fusil De Chasse smoothbore
.600 RB
.024 patch with Ballistol/water lube, cut at the muzzle
70 gr Goex OE 2F with 2F in the pan
2969B011-15B8-43D8-9440-0E45BEF0519F.jpeg

6 shots for score

Have fun and stay safe!

Gary
Is it to late to join the competition?

Latest posts

Back