• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Regarding Carrying Tomahawks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do as it is a small hatchet and will be carried attached to the shooting bag should only see use to split deer pelvises and sternums during the field dressing chores. I have another one set up in such a manner, but it was just the hatchet head and I hafted it, works very well for the intended purpose, that one was not bought from crazy crow, believe I bought it off a blanket at Fort Frederick market faire. I like the ideal of each gun has its own set of shooting accoutrements and bag.

Last edited:
2357D3F8-F74F-4B52-A6B4-E994D3A86751.jpeg
C68BCAA6-81D6-443B-B582-B787F20F245A.jpeg

This is number 89 of 103 a black smith made before he passed from cancer.
He copies it from a Huron Museum. Hammer forged, and sharper then ever needed.
My friends wife made this sheath for it. Everyone that handles it, cuts themselves, and I have several times, and even poked the tip into my calf when doing knife and hawk drills.
hwkNknf.jpg
loadin.jpg

It hangs off the belt in back.

Following. I too am interested in the different types of carry methods for the hawks. I saw someplace, but can not remember where, that some carried the smaller hawks in a shoulder holster type carry. Anyone familiar with what I am talking about? By chance do you have some pictures of it? My character is from the late 1830's , as I plan to get another Patterson soon.

Thank you for any info .....

Stay safe and seek happiness,
Bobo

This is My take on Tomahawk safety.
Consider the danger to your horse. Having a bare blade expending from your back at belt level could harm your horse when getting off in a hurry.
I can see if you are walking right into a close quarters fight having it bare in your belt, so you can draw it fast after firing and droping your your fowler for close work.

Here are a couple of originals, from Gary Hendershott's "Tomahawk Collection."

Axs & Sheaths - Hendershott.jpg

He doesn't have these pictured online. I took a snapshot of the page in one of his printed catalogs. I don't know if you can read the fine print or not, but these are both "hammer poll" axes. Not to be critical, but "poll" is the correct term in this case, although it is frequently misspelled as "pole." However, the important thing is not the spelling, but understanding what we are talking about.

Anyway, the sheath on the left is described as a belt sheath, and the one on the right as an "over-the-shoulder" sheath. Mr. Hendershott gives dates of circa 1790 and circa 1830, respectively, which we can probably take with a grain of salt.

With some trepidation, here is a tomahawk carrier from Hollywood:

Hawk's Axe.png
It was part of an "equipment belt" ensemble carried by "Hawk" (Forrest Goodluck) in The Revenant:

Hawk's Equipment.png
This is not exactly a sheath, but is more of a belt carrier which leaves the cutting edge exposed. I don't know whether it is an authentic style or not. It looks plausible as well as practical, and easy to make, but I don't recall ever seeing an antique like it. Note that the tomahawk and knife in this image are both made of urethane foam, painted to look real. In addition, the heel and toe of the prop tomahawk blade have also been rounded off, so the exposed blade never posed a safety risk when carried in this rig. The prop house that sold these items also had the actual tomahawk for sale, though, with tack-decorated wood handle and steel blade, and with the corners of the blade intact (not rounded). Here is a link to the dealer's website: PropStore - Revenant Collection

I don't think we are supposed to post links to auction or sales listings, but these things have already sold and I think they are shown as archived items, so hopefully I'm "legal."

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Is this what you want? This would have the advantage of takinng weight off your belt.

View attachment 182613
Not necessarily directed to the Carteret Kid in particular, his posted pic supports my question though.

This style has some historical precedent.
Screenshot_20200710-211445_Chrome.jpg
unnamed (1)v.jpg
Tomahawk sheath of Sir Alexander Mackenzie.jpg

And I've seen a few contemporary recreations and pieces based on this...... of varying levels of quality and authentic looks.
My question is, has anyone here actually used one for some serous hunting and/or trekking?
Slung as low as in Carteret's pic, is the 'hawk handle hitting you in the knee? Is it in your way when stepping over blow downs? Crashing into fallen branches and other brush?
Do you feel the need to remove it of you sit against a tree for a bit to wait for game?

I keep saying I'm going to make and use one, as I'm not really crazy about having mine tucked in the back of my belt, and, I'm working on not using a rifleman's/hunting shirt/frock anymore so won't have that outer belt to use. But, the above concerns keep leading me to not committing to the project.

I've seen a few sheaths, most likely all early 19th century. With shoulder straps, and one that was mounted on a belt. However, I'd be willing to bet, that in the 18th century, a lot of people did just carry the tomahawk thrust under the belt, with no sheath over the cutting edge at all. I'm certainly not going to do that. It would be pretty dang dumb.

It is possible that these tomahawks were not particularly sharp. Seeing as how it was basically a weapon, not so much a tool, the edge doesn't necessarily need to be very sharp to drive it into someone's skull.

Mine has a sheath.

View attachment 122974
very handsome sheath....did you make this?

Will do as it is a small hatchet and will be carried attached to the shooting bag should only see use to split deer pelvises and sternums during the field dressing chores. I have another one set up in such a manner, but it was just the hatchet head and I hafted it, works very well for the intended purpose, that one was not bought from crazy crow, believe I bought it off a blanket at Fort Frederick market faire. I like the ideal of each gun has its own set of shooting accoutrements and bag.
I have never found any reason to split the sternum or pelvis on a deer. Chopping bone on a carcass usually produces chips where you don't want them to be.

I have never found any reason to split the sternum or pelvis on a deer. Chopping bone on a carcass usually produces chips where you don't want them to be.
Sharp hatchet one well-placed blow to the pelvis makes it very easy to remove the anus and bladder, split the brisket hide and again one or two. well placed blow to the sternum bone easy removal of the lungs, heart, if done properly minimal bone chips or actually none at all. If warm out this allows for adequate air flow to enhance the cooling of the carcass. Even if there are some bone chips they are easily removed during the skinning and processing of the animal.

I have an old German hunting knife 3 blade set. All three in one sheath. The large blade could easily substitute for a cleaver and would make short work of the pelvis or sternum. The two smaller blades are well suited to caping/skinning. Bear in mind that the European hunter could well be dealing with their elk, which we call moose.

I don't do it anymore. It does help speed the cooling process, and as @appalichian hunter said, it makes certain removal processes easier. But I generally don't bother.
That said, a sharp, good quality 'hawk or hatchet is better than a saw in regards to bone matter contamination.

Back