• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Regarding Carrying Tomahawks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even the most uneducated simplest of people would know that a sharp tool is a functional tool. I think people then were cut and cut often by just shoving a bare hawk through a belt but it was a excepted risk at the time so many were carried without a sheath or cover of any kind.

By the way, I mentioned that I had a more HC/PC belt axe coming, it was made by a fella that used to be on this forum "Hawkeyes", very happy with it. Its got a nice square flat poll for driving stakes and a 3.5" cutting bit for those pesky limbs that are interfering with the shot.

IMG_9802.JPG

With Slip sheath since this one is very sharp.

IMG_9804.JPG

The head is based off of a known reference "Neuman and Kravic"

IMG_9792.JPG

RM

Here is a question...

Were tomahawks in the 18th century used more for chopping wood for shelters and kindling for fires or for weapons.

The answer should tell you how sharp they needed to be.
Initially, I purchased a CRKT Chogan
1645286615809.png
and was displeased with its weight. Its better suited to light camp chores but is less effective than a small axe and much too heavy to use effectively as a weapon.

Then I bought a Iroquois head and assembled my own.
1645286863126.jpeg
. This will serve very well as a weapon but is not very effective as a utility trail axe.

It is therefore my opinion that tomahawks in the 18th century were primarily carried as a close quarters combat weapon. I was reading some research material on line recently indicating that head strikes were the most effective use as a weapon.

Initially, I purchased a CRKT Chogan View attachment 123023 and was displeased with its weight. Its better suited to light camp chores but is less effective than a small axe and much too heavy to use effectively as a weapon.

Then I bought a Iroquois head and assembled my own. View attachment 123024. This will serve very well as a weapon but is not very effective as a utility trail axe.

It is therefore my opinion that tomahawks in the 18th century were primarily carried as a close quarters combat weapon. I was reading some research material on line recently indicating that head strikes were the most effective use as a weapon.

Very nice! Did you do the engraving? Pretty Fancy!!!

RM

Not historically correct, but I bought this Charter Arms Skatchet at the PX in 1978. They are no longer made and somewhat of a collectors item today. The idea was, you carry the head in the supplied scabbard and when you arrived in camp, cut your own handle from a limb. It was designed to be used as a hatchet, field dressing game, and as an ulu type tool for fleshing a hide. The handle socket in the head has a tapered coarse thread which cuts into the wood. The handle in the photo was made from a broken pool cue found in the MP Barracks about the same time period. I carried the Skatchet on the side of my pack every time I went to the field, and the detached handle was carried inside my pack until needed.
Charter Arms Skatchet.jpg

Not historically correct, but I bought this Charter Arms Skatchet at the PX in 1978. They are no longer made and somewhat of a collectors item today. The idea was, you carry the head in the supplied scabbard and when you arrived in camp, cut your own handle from a limb. It was designed to be used as a hatchet, field dressing game, and as an ulu type tool for fleshing a hide. The handle socket in the head has a tapered coarse thread which cuts into the wood. The handle in the photo was made from a broken pool cue found in the MP Barracks about the same time period. I carried the Skatchet on the side of my pack every time I went to the field, and the detached handle was carried inside my pack until needed.
View attachment 123036

I remember those!!!

I think they were in the SF mags as well.

RM

0.jpeg

Many years ago I made a swap with a blacksmith from Georgia, I made him a highly Skrimshawed horn set and he made this beautiful damascus hawk to a pattern similar to one at Ft. Ticonderoga. It is the sharpest bladed instrument of any kind I have ever had, bar none! I don't normally use a sheath, with this one I do.
Robby

View attachment 123040
Many years ago I made a swap with a blacksmith from Georgia, I made him a highly Skrimshawed horn set and he made this beautiful damascus hawk to a pattern similar to one at Ft. Ticonderoga. It is the sharpest bladed instrument of any kind I have ever had, bar none! I don't normally use a sheath, with this one I do.
Robby

That's PURTY!!!

I know its capable of getting the job done, but thinking I would just look at it and fondle it from time to time! 😁

RM

This outfit is probably 1840's (as I recall, the target was dated 1848 or something like that). This of course, it not a weapon-tomahawk, but the small axe that replaced it in popular usage.
11ad38b80.jpg

This supposedly belonged to Ky. governor Isaac Shelby. If that is so, I'd say this would have to be from later in his life. This small axe, very similar to the one above, is in a belt-mounted sheath.
ShelbyAxe2a.jpg

This thing, I don't know, mid 19th century??
hawk-sheath-2.jpg

Pretty odd looking axe, but this is a sheath shown in a German print of military equipment from 1783.
wasistoficier1783axe_zpsb466dd66.jpg

Just because. Here are some pioneer's axes in sheaths in Burg Forchenstein... I wish I could see the axe heads!
Burg Forchenstein Axe carriers.jpg

This outfit is probably 1840's (as I recall, the target was dated 1848 or something like that). This of course, it not a weapon-tomahawk, but the small axe that replaced it in popular usage.
View attachment 123061

This supposedly belonged to Ky. governor Isaac Shelby. If that is so, I'd say this would have to be from later in his life. This small axe, very similar to the one above, is in a belt-mounted sheath.
View attachment 123066

This thing, I don't know, mid 19th century??
View attachment 123067

Pretty odd looking axe, but this is a sheath shown in a German print of military equipment from 1783.
View attachment 123068

Just because. Here are some pioneer's axes in sheaths in Burg Forchenstein... I wish I could see the axe heads!
View attachment 123069

Very Cool.

Just to be clear, I did not say they did not have shoulder carry sheaths. What I did say is I know from personal experience if your actually working that it gets in the way. Constant banging and hanging on stuff,

RM

View attachment 123040
Robby
now that is a GEM! the first for me a DAMASCIUS hawk!

This one was said to have belonged to Alexander Mackenzie (1764-1820). It sold at auction not long ago:

View attachment 111327
Mackenzie was a Scot, employed by the Northwest Company in Canada. He is known as the first documented European to cross the North American continent from east to west. He reached the Pacific Ocean, by land, in 1793.

Here we get a good look and an "over the shoulder" rig, mentioned by @Flintlock above. I would like to point out, though, that this is a rather dainty looking and nicely embellished pipe tomahawk, and not a common camp or trade axe. It would have been quite valuable, even back then, and I doubt he did much chopping with it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
The mackenzie axe though decorated and a pipe axe, was built for use - the pipe has no damageable neck, the haft is an ash sapling with the pith bored or burned out, and the edge has been sharpened back form much use - also the scabbard shows much wear and patching.
Gives me the impression he used it.
Brian Anderson

Maybe they just carried a tomahawk and used it for whatever arised wither it involves using as a weapon or a implement I'm sure they weren't going to cut down a tree just maybe a pole and some kindling dress food which it wouldn't have to be razor sharp and considering it was their era they knew how to carry it either scabbard or open..

In post #83 Notchy Bob posted a passage about carrying a 'hawk in the belt. The bit to my way of thinking also describes a match coat, as first went on a blanket then the belt.

Go to YouTube and look up The Happy People, a four part series about Russians living a backwoods life style. Notice how they carry their short handled axes, and these are axes not tomahawks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back