• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Regarding Carrying Tomahawks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently acquired a smaller tomahawk, and am looking to use it while out and about in the woods. How common of a practice was it to put a sheath on one? I haven’t found very many historic examples of people doing so, so I thought I might ask y’all. Thanks.

Are you speaking of a over shoulder type sheath to carry in or a basic cover for the blade when stuckthrough the belt. I use both and prefer a simple cover over the edge and carried behind my back although some seem to have researched enough and found the over shoulder carry was not too uncommon. Way to easy to slip wearing period footware so some type of edge guard should be used.

Some reproductions from Fire Arms Traps and Tools of The Mountain Men
C06A1C3D-75C9-426C-BF83-F7EFD7AEF4A9.jpeg
4623B1E9-2F33-4D18-882E-1BC7743A4DF7.jpeg
36A48A4B-C6BE-4A9C-AFE1-9F4B18D32BAA.jpeg
95FAD529-E6EE-4ED5-97D6-EFA4B9D68DA4.jpeg

This one was said to have belonged to Alexander Mackenzie (1764-1820). It sold at auction not long ago:

Alexander MacKenzie Tomahawk.jpg

Mackenzie was a Scot, employed by the Northwest Company in Canada. He is known as the first documented European to cross the North American continent from east to west. He reached the Pacific Ocean, by land, in 1793.

Here we get a good look and an "over the shoulder" rig, mentioned by @Flintlock above. I would like to point out, though, that this is a rather dainty looking and nicely embellished pipe tomahawk, and not a common camp or trade axe. It would have been quite valuable, even back then, and I doubt he did much chopping with it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I am in the mood, looking for a FT, MEIGS, hawk, used, cheep/ inexpensive, any one have one?

When? Where? By whom?
What time frame are we talking about?
Where is our intrepid tomahawk carrying individual carrying it?
What does this individual do for work/what are they doing where they are carrying it/why are they carrying it?
Early 18th - Mid 19th, anywhere west of the Appalachians, and by your average trapper or trader. I’m looking for good examples of sheaths one might put on their own when carrying it on the belt. I’m thinking of making one, since I sharpened up my hawk yesterday.

I sharpen mine before an event or a trek. It ain’t ‘razor’ but pretty sharp. Since the 1970s have trekked with it in my belt in the back. No sheath.
One year trekked from Grand Junction Colorado to Fort Bridger. One year from Fort Bridger to the grand Tetons and back to Pinedale Wyoming
Lots of treks from one day to one week in Arkansas and Missouri.
Never caused a problem and yes I fell bottom over teakettle more then once.
A simple sheath like that would make it as safe as your bed at home just stuffed in your belt. And is very comfortable and handy.

Early 18th - Mid 19th, anywhere west of the Appalachians, and by your average trapper or trader. I’m looking for good examples of sheaths one might put on their own when carrying it on the belt. I’m thinking of making one, since I sharpened up my hawk yesterday.
That is a big time period. Sheaths have been very well covered by the others. I'll just add that in the 1700's what we know today as a tomahawk was a fighting weapon (including throwing). Frontiersman were mostly "day hunters", in the woods, and afoot. They needed hand weapons. Which also included long knives.

In the 1800's the tomahawk became mostly a trade item. Trappers were generally mounted (unless setting/recovering traps), away from civilization for very long periods of time, armed with long guns and pistols, and needed an axe (hatchet) for everyday camp and trapping use, a tomahawk wouldn't have held up for their needs. They traded tomahawks. Of course if something happened to their bag/belt axe, and they had a tomahawk, I'm sure they'd use it as best they could until they got another axe.

That is a big time period. Sheaths have been very well covered by the others. I'll just add that in the 1700's what we know today as a tomahawk was a fighting weapon (including throwing). Frontiersman were mostly "day hunters", in the woods, and afoot. They needed hand weapons. Which also included long knives.

In the 1800's the tomahawk became mostly a trade item. Trappers were generally mounted (unless setting/recovering traps), away from civilization for very long periods of time, armed with long guns and pistols, and needed an axe (hatchet) for everyday camp and trapping use, a tomahawk wouldn't have held up for their needs. They traded tomahawks. Of course if something happened to their bag/belt axe, and they had a tomahawk, I'm sure they'd use it as best they could until they got another axe.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I appreciate the clarification

The hawk I showed is what I consider a working hawk, I use it for trekking, hunting, and driving tent stakes. I have other hawks that I only use for throwing in competition the are somewhat lighter and don't have a peen for driving stakes.

This one was said to have belonged to Alexander Mackenzie (1764-1820). It sold at auction not long ago:

View attachment 111327
Mackenzie was a Scot, employed by the Northwest Company in Canada. He is known as the first documented European to cross the North American continent from east to west. He reached the Pacific Ocean, by land, in 1793.

Here we get a good look and an "over the shoulder" rig, mentioned by @Flintlock above. I would like to point out, though, that this is a rather dainty looking and nicely embellished pipe tomahawk, and not a common camp or trade axe. It would have been quite valuable, even back then, and I doubt he did much chopping with it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
I hope you were the one who got this at auction. If not, do you know what it went for? And thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the input. I’m looking for a wide range of examples, hence the large timeframe.
I would encourage you to get Firearms Traps and Tools of the Mountain Men. About 1/3 of the book is devoted to belt axes and from 1600- to the 1850s.
Since I threw hawk and wanted to be a By God Mountian Man I always bought hawks, but I got this book back in the seventies and at the time very astonished how early modren hatchet head style showed up and how popular it was, far our NWG ‘tomahawk’ designs for use by whites.

I would encourage you to get Firearms Traps and Tools of the Mountain Men. About 1/3 of the book is devoted to belt axes and from 1600- to the 1850s.
Since I threw hawk and wanted to be a By God Mountian Man I always bought hawks, but I got this book back in the seventies and at the time very astonished how early modren hatchet head style showed up and how popular it was, far our NWG ‘tomahawk’ designs for use by whites.
I’ll have to read that book then, Thanks!

A thousand years ago we all carried some variety, usually a pipe tomahawk, to the annual Canoe Shoot. Sunday after it was over we met at a local bar. Wouldn't allow us to bring in any weapons, but carrying our pipes was just fine. Same bar to which we took our Chicken, who we didn't eat, in part because she carried on long conversations with the local Michigan turkeys, at wee hours of the morning. Whilst some were still metabolizing our local Michigan Made whisky.

Back